Sponsored by:

Door Latch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 12:59 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Door Latch Replacement

Has anyone replaced the latch assembly recently ...if so, what was your part source?
Generating random door open signals, and setting alarm off if locked.
This is the rear left hand door, and oddly gets very little use.
I have sprayed contact cleaner at it ...no joy
Prior discussion:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...n-warning.html

Old 11-15-2018, 04:24 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

I did that several months ago on my 2004 S. Left rear door. Started with some weird alarm-type stuff like you're having. It evolved to later include inability to lock that door.

I had some posts on here while working on that:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post14748874

I replaced it with a China brand part for a Touareg, off eBay, shipped from China. Works great. Perfect match with the original.

Some details in case you're thinking of going the China/eBay route ...

My 2004 S is fairly stripped, and it does not have KESSY (as far as I know, based on relatively limited knowledge of auxiliary stuff). I _think_ that might be a deal breaker if you do have KESSY, and wanted to use a VW part. So for me, without KESSY, there was no compatibility issue for VW vs. Porsche here. I can believe that all Porsche parts are KESSY compatible, while VW parts are not, which allows Porsche to tell you the two are not interchangeable - but of course they are in some cases, at least mine.

I found the VW part number for me, 7L0 839 015, by removing my door lock actuator module and looking for part numbers on it. That was one of the numbers, which I confirmed to be "it" by googling.

If you want to get the equivalent part number confirmed before tearing things apart, you could look for used parts on eBay. Not that you'd buy one of them, but I've found that eBay often has the best photos of parts - and you might see the part number on it.

Here's another emergency thread I started while working on that job. Lesson on what to avoid. Also has some pics in there that may give you an idea of what you're looking at.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...n-its-way.html

Also, here's my notes on door disassembly. Much easier to do if you're just following instructions rather than solving a puzzle, as I found:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post14783214
Old 11-15-2018, 11:49 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Thats brilliant!
Thank you kindly for your guidance
Old 11-18-2018, 04:53 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Old 11-18-2018, 02:56 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Stringbag
Nice one. And that is more specifically about a failing microswitch in the DLA, which may actually be Phatz's only problem here, based on the symptoms.

In my case, I might have had some of that, but definitely had a wearing out lock actuation mechanism - it looked like the plastic housing, etc. was not holding the gears, shafts, etc. in their proper positions, causing flaky and failing behavior. So I would at least look for that - since you're in so deep, it may be worth it to replace the whole DLA. Also BTW, that lock actuation mechanism is pure German genius. And the motor is phenomenal. I kept the old assembly partly because it is so cool and partly in case I ever need a really powerful tiny motor.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:52 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Nice one. And that is more specifically about a failing microswitch in the DLA, which may actually be Phatz's only problem here, based on the symptoms.
I agree, for sure it is the microswitch

Quick Reply: Door Latch Replacement