Door lock actuator microswitch repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 07:56 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Door lock actuator microswitch repair

Symptoms.

No drivers door open warning/indication in instrument cluster.
No courtesy lights or door puddle lights when drivers door open.
No fuel prime when drivers door open.
If not quick enough to start car after opening drivers door, Car locks automatically a few seconds later setting alarm off.

Fault - door lock. Cost new depends upon keyless entry or not. Aftermarket parts available however same modules as several Vw group cars.

Can be repaired - all that is wrong is a microswitch. It’s either worn or just dirty. Either way it’s an easy fix. Mine was just clogged up with dirt.

Watch all the videos and links before you start.

Remove inner panel

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...el_Removal.htm

Now you have to remove the inner door frame.

Excellent write up here. https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...placement.html

Vw door frame instructions. Same as in a cayenne. The entire frame is removed including the window! It’s heavy. Nb you don’t have to drill out any rivets.

http://www.automanuals.biz/volkswage...door-lock.html

You can now remove the lock mechanism. There are two videos below detailing how to clean/replace the microswitch once the lock has been removed. Watch them and you get the idea. Once you get the door back together watch the final link to make sure that you connect the handle cable up properly or you won’t be able to open the door.

This guy shows you how to strip down the lock and clean the microswitch.

And this guy shows how the microswitch works and suggests replacing it - fine if it’s worn but maybe it just needs a clean.

Everything you need to know about the handle cable.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post15167390
The following users liked this post:
lkraav (08-10-2022)
Old 09-21-2018, 08:00 AM
Stringbag
Pro

This is what you are left with once you have removed the frame! It just lifts out as one unit with the lock, window, everything attached.

Last edited by Stringbag; 09-21-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:16 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Old 09-21-2018, 11:31 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

There are a couple of cams/eccentrics to get the frame all lined back up.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:36 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Indeed.
Dont move them! I taped them up with masking tape.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:55 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Interesting videos - thanks.

So it looks like there is no direct mechanical contact from the key to the door latch mechanism, right? The key turns a plastic cylinder in the door lock actuator assembly, two micro switches detect when the key is turned to lock or to unlock, then the car uses that info to electromechanically actuate the door latch mechanism, right? So if your battery is dead, what happens?

BTW, I've got symptoms now that suggest the door-is-open microswitch is not a problem. But I do have alarm issues if using the mechanical key to unlock and enter, without inserting the key in the ignition within several seconds. Still holding off on opening up the door.

Also, to add to your list of symptoms, I see a good one (from the videos) is the warning chimes you're supposed to get when opening the driver's door while the key is in the ignition. I do get that warning, along with puddle lights, etc.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:06 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Interesting videos - thanks.

So it looks like there is no direct mechanical contact from the key to the door latch mechanism, right? The key turns a plastic cylinder in the door lock actuator assembly, two micro switches detect when the key is turned to lock or to unlock, then the car uses that info to electromechanically actuate the door latch mechanism, right? So if your battery is dead, what happens?
I don’t think so. It still works like a key if your turn it far enough (you may not have done as the microscitch had activated it for you).

Old 02-25-2019, 06:12 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Originally Posted by oldskewel
BTW, I've got symptoms now that suggest the door-is-open microswitch is not a problem. But I do have alarm issues if using the mechanical key to unlock and enter, without inserting the key in the ignition within several seconds. Still holding off on opening up the door.
Definitely sounds like door lock acutuator related issue to me. There are about 4 microscitches in there.
Good luck!
Old 02-25-2019, 09:54 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stringbag
I don’t think so. It still works like a key if your turn it far enough (you may not have done as the microscitch had activated it for you).
So it should still work with a fully dead battery, using the key in the door lock cylinder? Hope so. Seems like that's how it should be designed.

The reason I thought otherwise is purely based on the first video above that you linked. It shows the plastic cylinder in the DLA that turns (by the actual lock cylinder with the key in it). The white plastic cylinder hits two separate microswitches to indicate unlocking or locking. Then it seems that info is just conveyed electrically to the DLA motor. I.e., there is no direct mechanical connection that I can see in that. But I find it hard to believe they'd design it that way.

I'll be testing that soon, just to be sure - will disconnect battery, etc.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:56 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stringbag
Definitely sounds like door lock acutuator related issue to me. There are about 4 microscitches in there.
Good luck!
As apparently confirmed in the other thread right now, I've got no problems at all. It's another Cayenne feature! Supposed to work this way. Glad to not have opened up the door. Laziness is sometimes a valuable trait.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:07 AM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Great info TY for posting!
Old 11-22-2023, 11:53 AM
tbo_cruiser
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to open up my actuator so I could clean and lube the mechanical side because I am having the problem with the latch not resetting and I have already set the cable to the outer handle so it is as loose as possible. I could not get the two parts (electrical and mechanical) to separate like he did it in the video in post #1. It feels like something else needs to be released in the area where he takes out the screw that is by itself on one side (0:57 in the video). Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Door lock actuator microswitch repair