Sponsored by:

Stolen Cayenne key

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 08:44 AM
sand8
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stolen Cayenne key

Hi Guys, I need help and suggestion: my daughter car key (957S) is stolen last week. We are using a spare key for now. My question is, what would be a good solution to avoid the person that stole her key from stealing the car as well?

Thanks for the help,

Sinclair
Old 10-12-2018, 09:56 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 304 Likes on 232 Posts

Go to the dealer and get the spare key and car recoded. Since the coding operation costs a fair amount, it would be a good time to get a replacement key. It doesn't cost more to code the additional key at the same time.

The only way to start these cars is to have a key with the proper code. The only one who can set that code is the dealer AFAIK.

Was the key stolen intentionally (targeted?)? Or was is more along the lines of her purse was stolen and the key was in it?
Old 10-12-2018, 11:55 AM
sand8
Instructor

Thank you Joe. Yes, her purse got stolen in the staff room at the hospital where she work. She was in the OR room at the time her purse was stolen, including all her credit cards, drivers license, apartment/garage keys and car key.
I will call the dealer and see if we can get this done ASAP.
Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:06 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Yep, dealer replacement key includes coding which makes stolen key rendered useless.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:19 AM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

If it were my car, and I were paying for it, I would bet on the guy being a purse snatcher rather than a car thief. I think GTA is considered a much more serious crime.

So I would keep my keys open, be extra careful, AND I would install my own kill switch, hidden under the dash somewhere.

Then after a few months or so, I'd probably stop using the kill switch. This is a risk that can be managed, I think.

I would have my house locks re-keyed, however. That's a different story, in my opinion.

Sorry to hear of the theft and the hassle dealing with it.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:42 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,747 Likes on 4,293 Posts

Get a new key and the coding for the new and the spare done, rather than trying to determine the intent of a thief.

If she parks her car outside and uses a garage door opener instead of programmed Homelink buttons, giving the thief access to the opener (the stolen key and her address from the wallet) gives him a way into her residence too. Not trying to freak you out, but its the world we live in.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:53 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Also keep in mind the old key will still open the door. She should do a spot check of the back seats and trunk before getting in the car.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:04 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 132 Posts

Don't know about your state, but normally the address is on the driver's license. If it is the correct address, now the thief knows where the vehicle is parked at night.
The thief that stole the wallet may not be interested in the car, but he may be interested in selling the key and location to a buddy who IS interested in the car.

I would not take that chance.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:42 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 304 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by slavie
Don't know about your state, but normally the address is on the driver's license. If it is the correct address, now the thief knows where the vehicle is parked at night.
The thief that stole the wallet may not be interested in the car, but he may be interested in selling the key and location to a buddy who IS interested in the car.

I would not take that chance.
^This.

Same with the other keys.

I would get the car recoded and change the locks for any keys that were stolen that she controls the locks on (especially the ones that are at the address on the stolen ID). I would advise the owners of any places where any other keys on the ring that were stolen (for example, I have a key to my mom's apartment on my ring - If it was stolen, I would let her know. Since there's no way for a random thief to know where she lives, she may or may not want to change those locks).
Old 10-13-2018, 10:35 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

If your daughter has Houseowner or renter insurance, it will pay to have the house door lock tumbler rekeyed to a different key. Also, most every policy will cover theft of personal property away from your home. Some time ago, my girlfriend took her purse (instead of leaving it with me as I suggested) when she went over to dance and hang with some bad-boys and their skank girls at a local club. Her renter’s policy covered her purse and contents up a limit of about $1,500.

Also, some auto comprehensive policies have lost key coverage.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:27 PM
sand8
Instructor

Thank you all! Her apartment key is electronically programmable so, this was taken care of. The drivers license address is my home address, not her apartment address (she just moved in 4 weeks ago....). I have appointment with Porsche dealer to recode the key. Knowing that the physical key still can be used to open the driver door. If this happened (after recoding the car and key), hopefully it will set the alarm off. It seem like the cost to replace all the hard keys is going to be costly.

Quick Reply: Stolen Cayenne key