Sponsored by:

955 Cayenne and 996 Android Head Unit Installation Tutorials

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 11:56 AM
RazMan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shalz
Thanks, I'll try again this weekend. Did you use the original Porsche FM and GPS connectors or the new ones that came with the Android unit?
The original ones were fine - saves getting too many extra wires involved as it is pretty tight in there
Old 07-12-2019, 11:53 AM
Shalz
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RazMan
The original ones were fine - saves getting too many extra wires involved as it is pretty tight in there
Thanks RazMan. Tried again and all works, just realised I forgot to connect the amp connector instead of looking for aux connections for the speaker.

How are people playing their Spotify or mirroring their phones onto the screen?

There is a Bluetooth music app, but it shows song and next or previous. Can't see playlists or browse anything.

Is there any app to mirror or use the phones Spotify account directly?
The following users liked this post:
Potential (02-01-2021)
Old 07-12-2019, 09:02 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just install Spotify... You don't need to mirror your screen of your phone, you really only need to turn on the wifi hotspot on your phone and then lay your phone down to charge (I use wireless fast charging )
I installed Google Play and stream music that way
Old 07-12-2019, 09:04 PM
Shalz
8th Gear

Ok will try that. May need to increase the data plan

What nav app is everyone using? Sygic is freezing at 73% download for UK. Google maps offline has a weird shape so can't get all of UK without saving half of Europe.

Or again, running data off the phone?
Old 07-13-2019, 04:41 AM
RazMan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My PX5 Unit came with an excellent satnav app called Israel but I have used Waze and Copilot with good results too.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:49 PM
chrisbinsb
3rd Gear

Just finished (almost) installing a new android/carplay unit in my '05 CTT. Thanks to this thread and a few others, it went very smoothly, better than I expected. Everything works great but I ran into one issue: I can't get it back in the dash!

It's a double din unit and with all the new wires and connectors, it won't slide back in all the way. I feel like there is should be (barely) enough room above and behind the unit if I could just slide a hand back there but that's impossible to do.

Anyone run into this problem and find a solution? Maybe I'm missing something obvious...

Appreciate any help, thank!
Dave Thompson (01-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2019, 11:41 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisbinsb
It's a double din unit and with all the new wires and connectors, it won't slide back in all the way.
Congratulations!
I've opened mine back up about 20 times between the two cayennes but not recently so going off of memory here. If you have enough slack in your wires try to drop the big stuff in the cavity up and to the right. I want to say maybe I've also tried to get the stuff on top of the unit. I may have also zip tied some of the stuff into groups so it'll stick together more wherever I maneuvered it. If you get strange buzzing sounds after getting it in, pull it back out and rearrange.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:31 AM
chrisbinsb
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Jonathan H
Congratulations!
I've opened mine back up about 20 times between the two cayennes but not recently so going off of memory here. If you have enough slack in your wires try to drop the big stuff in the cavity up and to the right. I want to say maybe I've also tried to get the stuff on top of the unit. I may have also zip tied some of the stuff into groups so it'll stick together more wherever I maneuvered it. If you get strange buzzing sounds after getting it in, pull it back out and rearrange.
thanks, I did try placing some stuff on top of the HU, but I'll work more on that. I like the zip tie idea also. I was able to tuck some narrow boxes in the very back and down but I'll check out what's available up and to the right as well. Not too much slack which is definitely a challenge - Can't believe how tight it is in there!
Old 11-04-2019, 12:54 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisbinsb
thanks, I did try placing some stuff on top of the HU, but I'll work more on that. I like the zip tie idea also. I was able to tuck some narrow boxes in the very back and down but I'll check out what's available up and to the right as well. Not too much slack which is definitely a challenge - Can't believe how tight it is in there!
That's what she said.
You can always create more slack by splicing more lengths of wire and I guess you could do it to the point that all components fit up and to the right and everything that comes out is a small, tight, ziptied bundle of wire only.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:16 AM
chrisbinsb
3rd Gear

Thanks for the tips and ideas - I was able to work the wires up and to the right just enough finally get it pushed into place. Seems to be working well so far, nice to have something more modern in there that I can connect my phone to at last..
Old 12-12-2019, 01:02 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I replaced the headunit in my Jaguar with an Android unit designed to tie into the OEM system. I generally completely remove OEM stereos and replace with aftermarket. I didn't do it for my Jaguar, because the Valet function and some of the Climate control functions are accessed through the screen. I am looking to buy a 2006 Porsche Cayenne, but haven't bought it yet, because I wanted to make sure the stereo could be upgraded first. My question is this: Are there OEM functions that are accessed through the screen, that I would lose if I just completely removed all OEM stereo components and replaced with aftermarket? If not any functions, are there security/lockout hardware that would require me to tie any new stereo into the vehicle's CAN bus.

Another question: I have bought Universal Android Headunits for other cars I have owned, and they all came with the "fast boot" option. They had a low current draw sleep mode, so when you start the car, the stereo comes right up without any delay. Does the model you installed have fastboot, or do you have to wait for it to boot up like you have to do with a cell phone?

Last edited by sgtm7; 12-12-2019 at 04:17 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:57 AM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sgtm7
I replaced the headunit in my Jaguar with an Android unit designed to tie into the OEM system. I generally completely remove OEM stereos and replace with aftermarket. I didn't do it for my Jaguar, because the Valet function and some of the Climate control functions are accessed through the screen. I am looking to buy a 2006 Porsche Cayenne, but haven't bought it yet, because I wanted to make sure the stereo could be upgraded first. My question is this: Are there OEM functions that are accessed through the screen, that I would lose if I just completely removed all OEM stereo components and replaced with aftermarket? If not any functions, are there security/lockout hardware that would require me to tie any new stereo into the vehicle's CAN bus.

Another question: I have bought Universal Android Headunits for other cars I have owned, and they all came with the "fast boot" option. They had a low current draw sleep mode, so when you start the car, the stereo comes right up without any delay. Does the model you installed have fastboot, or do you have to wait for it to boot up like you have to do with a cell phone?
You would lose factory dash compass, if you have one. You will likely lose FM Radio. You will keep factory backup camera if you wire it correctly. You will need to get a CANbus decoder (~$100) if the Cayenne you buy has a Bose system (most do). The head units designed for Cayennes will let you keep steering wheel buttons and have a flush factory look. I have an extra Cayenne head unit Android 8 with CANbus decoder new in the box that I will sell for $200+shipping.

I want to say some come with a fastboot timer so if you turn it back on within x minutes it comes right back. Boot time is only like 12 seconds though so I haven't looked into it more.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:04 AM
hopsis
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Trip computer and fuel consumption stuff goes with the oem radio. I don't know if any aftermarket unit can retain that information. Everything else can be set up with the wiper stalk buttons.

Upsides far outweigh the downsides. To make up for the loss of mpg counter, You can stick a post-it note on the dash saying 13mpg and consider it close enough.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:29 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jonathan H
You would lose factory dash compass, if you have one. You will likely lose FM Radio. You will keep factory backup camera if you wire it correctly. You will need to get a CANbus decoder (~$100) if the Cayenne you buy has a Bose system (most do). The head units designed for Cayennes will let you keep steering wheel buttons and have a flush factory look. I have an extra Cayenne head unit Android 8 with CANbus decoder new in the box that I will sell for $200+shipping.

I want to say some come with a fastboot timer so if you turn it back on within x minutes it comes right back. Boot time is only like 12 seconds though so I haven't looked into it more.
Boot time is that fast from a cold start? That is good. The one I installed in my Jag takes around as long as it takes for a cell phone to boot. I could deal with 12 seconds. In regards to the Canbus, you are saying that I need it for the steering wheel key controls? So the wires for Key 1 and Key 2 that would normally be used for steering wheel interface are not present on the OEM side, and instead key control is strictly through the Canbus? I guess using the Canbus is no big deal. Being able to bypass the OEM fiber optic amplifier without losing any functions is the important part. That way I can completely remove all of the OEM speakers and amplifier(s) and replace with aftermarket. I was able to tap off of the the outputs of my OEM amp in my Jag by using an Audio Control LOC(and it sounds very good), but I would prefer to make everything aftermarket.

I was primarily asking, because a few of the guides and Youtube videos showed people keeping the OEM amp in place by using a MOST interface. So I was wondering if it was actually necessary to do so for some reason.

Last edited by sgtm7; 12-12-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:35 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Originally Posted by hopsis
Trip computer and fuel consumption stuff goes with the oem radio. I don't know if any aftermarket unit can retain that information. Everything else can be set up with the wiper stalk buttons.

Upsides far outweigh the downsides. To make up for the loss of mpg counter, You can stick a post-it note on the dash saying 13mpg and consider it close enough.
I use a bluetooth ODB scanner and an app that will give the average and instant MPG based on inputs to the ECU, as well as engine temp, alternator output voltage, etc. So no big deal about losing the fuel consumption info.

Quick Reply: 955 Cayenne and 996 Android Head Unit Installation Tutorials