Sponsored by:

Slam Shifting....Operating to Manufactures Specifications

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slam Shifting....Operating to Manufactures Specifications

Just got word from the dealer that the slam shifting is not a problem. Yes they were able to replicate the problem, but they stated that this is not a problem. The state that the C needs to run ideal in the AM to prevent this from occurring.

I am not sure that this is an acceptable response. I agree that if you allow the C to fully warm itself prior to departing that this "slam shifting" most likely will not occur.

I have also heard that the allowing a vehicle to warm via idle can also cause damage.

OT - But could somebody supply the text to the mirror whistle TSB, dealer claims there is no fix.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:24 PM
WCS
Instructor

Here is a list of all TSBs:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=864

My S had the same problem before; the dealer fixed it after 3 attempts and I was told it came from the TSB, although I can't find it in the list.

The problem was caused by air tightness in the cabin. Pluggin two tiny holes somewhere inside the doors fixed the problem.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:28 PM
DanP
Instructor

>> Slam Shifting....Operating to Manufactures Specifications

I find that reasonable enough actually... it is "mild" relatively speaking, and mostly when things are cold enough to get the truck to decided to engage 1'st from a full stop.

Looking at the stress/torque this tranny must be designed to handle (I assume the S (or perhaps even the 6) have the same tranny as my CT), the equivalent of a semi-hard clunk is not disturbing.

You should have heard my E46 M3 (manual), way way worse.

I'd just enjoy and not worry too much about it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:24 AM
WCS
Instructor

BTW have you had them check on the transmission software update? My car is in the shop today and I mentioned this problem to them. This is what they would first try to do.

I'll get my car back hopefully tomorrow. If they've fixed the problem I'll let you know.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Thanks, everyone. The software on the C tip is up to date. The simple solution to the problem is to start of slow in the AM and try to make that first shift manually. This seems to solve the problem.

But for riders in the C if the "slam" happens is surely catches them off gaurd.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm personally rather irritated at the slam shifting - I understand the reasoning of why the C begins in 1st gear but to shift so roughly doesn't seem right.
Rather than just saying that it's OK I'd like to see someone explain why/how it's doing this. I've had a number of other cars (BMW, Porsche & American...) that had automatic transmissions that also started in low gear but did not 'slam shift'.
Thanks.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:03 PM
pred8or
Racer

Default Whistling Mirrors

Believe it or not my dealer solved the whistling mirrors by removing the plastic paint protection film from the mirrors. They tested this theory by taping over the seem prior to removal. Whistling is gone!
Old 01-26-2004, 06:16 PM
gig
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have the same issue...

My 2004 S (4000K miles) sits in a heated garage (50 degrees) overnight, when i pull out of the garage and go forward it jumps into 2nd gear, but after that, smooth. Even after sitting in the parking lot while at work for 8+ hours in 10 degree temps, no slamming, just in the mornings...wierd.

I brought this up to my service guys (there happened to be a few techs in the foofice at the time), they all said it was "normal" and to take it easy until it shifts

IMO, this doesn't seem "normal" to me either.

Funny thing, I currently have a loaner with only 100 miles on it, that was probably a January production run (with the new V6's) and it does not have this issue and I have had it over the weekend for a few days.

I have gotten the DME rempping update and it made a difference with the lurching however.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Slam shift -could this be an emission thing? Many cars have the ecu programmed to hold first gear longer from a cold start to get the catalyst hot more quickly to reduce pollution.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

I think this is exactly the issue, the compliant is the very harsh nature in which the Cayenne seems to shift to 2nd.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:04 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The logic of why the Cayenne starts out in first gear is sound - I have no issue with that.
The harsh shifting is what I think is unreasonable and I've yet to hear a reasonable explanation - getting the cats heated up doesn't require slam shifting. What is the relationship between the way that the transmission shifts and the cats?
Old 01-30-2004, 08:52 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Could it be the engineer saying to you "if you push when I am not ready I am going to shock you".

Mine is outside in the subzeros winds during the day, I learned after tuesday to let it move at its own pace and it does not do it, push just a little to much and its bump time.

Its feels more by design than a fault.

Mine also sits in a garage overnight, but unheated, and although it holds 1 for about a hundred yards or so it does not slam in the morning, only when its been out in the cold.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:40 PM
SFernando
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine's garaged unheated. Always get one slam on cold start from D1 to D2 then nothing else. If I drive that first 1/4 mile in M, no slam. Seems reasonable to take it easy for a minute on bloody cold days like we've been having.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:07 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hear ya !

Quick Reply: Slam Shifting....Operating to Manufactures Specifications