Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear bumper aluminium cover - diy job?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 06:39 PM
Jamiez
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear bumper aluminium cover - diy job?

Hello. On my rear bumper there is thr metal strip / cover which I want to replace as its severely dented and scrated by the prior owner.

https://www.rosepassion.com/en/cat/p...e-i1g3/P126063

does anybody know if this is a simple remove the old and push in the new one? I recall reading a site somewhere saying that the clips were such that the bumper needed to be remove first.

Just trying to determine if I can do this or I get Porsche do it when I get my universal audio retrofitted.

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:50 PM
Uncle Jimmy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how it is for the American Spec vehicles, my German Spec Cayenne 2008 lost that piece while going through the carwash. Underneath it was just glue. Since it wasn't damaged, I'm going to sand down the glue and reinstall the piece with a stronger silicone glue.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamiez
Hello. On my rear bumper there is thr metal strip / cover which I want to replace as its severely dented and scrated by the prior owner.

https://www.rosepassion.com/en/cat/p...e-i1g3/P126063

does anybody know if this is a simple remove the old and push in the new one? I recall reading a site somewhere saying that the clips were such that the bumper needed to be remove first.

Just trying to determine if I can do this or I get Porsche do it when I get my universal audio retrofitted.

Thanks.
It would be useful to know the year of your Cayenne - Porsche did make changes when they did the facelift 957 update. On my '06 CStits, the plate was held onto the bumper on a plastic substrate that was fastened to the bumper somehow (that may be the clips you saw mentioned). My stainless sill plate did get loose - and it detached from the plastic substrate. I was able to get it to stick back on the plastic using some two-sided adhesive trim tape. If yours is like mine was - I'd guess that it comes from the factory already fastened to the plastic support plate and you may have to release some clips from inside the bumper cover in order to replace it.

Hopefully, once you ID your vehicle - someone with direct knowledge will pop up. Looking at the site you listed, the 2nd picture tells the story:

Look at the underside photo above - plastic nubbies showing - they're for the clips in the bumper to grab.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:04 PM
Jamiez
Intermediate

Originally Posted by deilenberger
It would be useful to know the year of your Cayenne - Porsche did make changes when they did the facelift 957 update. On my '06 CStits, the plate was held onto the bumper on a plastic substrate that was fastened to the bumper somehow (that may be the clips you saw mentioned). My stainless sill plate did get loose - and it detached from the plastic substrate. I was able to get it to stick back on the plastic using some two-sided adhesive trim tape. If yours is like mine was - I'd guess that it comes from the factory already fastened to the plastic support plate and you may have to release some clips from inside the bumper cover in order to replace it.

Hopefully, once you ID your vehicle - someone with direct knowledge will pop up. Looking at the site you listed, the 2nd picture tells the story:

Look at the underside photo above - plastic nubbies showing - they're for the clips in the bumper to grab.
Thanks for this information and great point - mine is the facelifted 957 cayenne turbo S. It looks like it just clips onto the bumper.

Any further info ?
Old 06-24-2018, 10:56 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Sold off my OEM rear bumper with that plate. Here are pics from that ad that show the inside of the bumper. Not sure how much they'll help, but here you go. That part I'm showing separated in the underside closeup shot is the same position on the outside where you can see the top plate slightly separated.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:44 PM
LAPorscheGuy
Track Day

To properly secure the new trim plate to the rear bumper the bumper needs to be removed. Removing the bumper isn't the end of the world and then its done correctly. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2018, 10:50 AM
Tex Willer
Track Day

I replaced that trim piece on my 2009 Cayenne and I had to remove the bumper cover. It is quite flexible plastic, so the new trim piece would not just snap in place, I had to do the clips one by one from inside the bumper cover. Pelican Parts instructions (link) were helpful.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:45 AM
Jamiez
Intermediate

Many thanks for the feedback and advise.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:45 PM
james brown
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did mine last week without removing the bumper. After i removed the bumper!!! the clips on the replacement unit just snap in. the trick is to get them to release from the outside. I used a plastic trim tool to slide under the snaps and started yanking. the new piece went right in no problem (from the outside). But the bumper cover comes off easy just be aware of the parking sensor harness. it is pretty tight so you need 4 hands. Suncoast has the parts in stock.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:50 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Anybody tried vinyl wrapping with brushed aluminum wrap?
Old 07-02-2018, 05:07 AM
Jamiez
Intermediate

Originally Posted by james brown
did mine last week without removing the bumper. After i removed the bumper!!! the clips on the replacement unit just snap in. the trick is to get them to release from the outside. I used a plastic trim tool to slide under the snaps and started yanking. the new piece went right in no problem (from the outside). But the bumper cover comes off easy just be aware of the parking sensor harness. it is pretty tight so you need 4 hands. Suncoast has the parts in stock.
Thanks for this. I was currently planning on letting the dealer fit this (30 mins labour) - but after reading this, it doesn't seam like a bumper off job!
Seams like if you have the correct trim tools (which I do!) - then its just a case of wedging it under and working along gently whilst yanking the metal strip.
Is the metal strip pretty strong? Am worried that it might bend easily whilst yanking!
Old 07-02-2018, 05:07 AM
Jamiez
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 95_993
Anybody tried vinyl wrapping with brushed aluminum wrap?
Good shout. I would have tried with my old one (once its off!!) - but its too dented to bother i think....
Old 07-02-2018, 11:19 AM
981S2013
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A big shout out and thanks to all of you for this thread. I was prepared to spend time searching for an existing thread on this topic, and right on top of the feed, here y’all are.. Great stuff.

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2018, 11:25 AM
Jamiez
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 981S2013
A big shout out and thanks to all of you for this thread. I was prepared to spend time searching for an existing thread on this topic, and right on top of the feed, here y’all are.. Great stuff.

Thanks!
great! Are you planning to replace yours also? Keep up posted
Old 07-02-2018, 06:23 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

On our 2008 CS, the stainless steel came off years ago. I just keep it in the garage now. There were no tabs or any such thing for it to hold on to the bumper. No glue residue either.

Quick Reply: Rear bumper aluminium cover - diy job?