Sponsored by:

Aftermarket diff locker for 957 2008 GTS ** OFFROAD **

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 01:16 PM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aftermarket diff locker for 957 2008 GTS ** OFFROAD **

OK, I'm tired of getting stuck and not being able to get out. One thing that would help is a rear locker. The factory option I think is going to be too pricey. Has anyone found an aftermarket kit that fits? I'm looking for something that doesnt really have to be re-engineered to fit.

Anyone had a go with an ARB air locker or similar. Or know of kits for the Toureg that might work on Cayennes?

Pic, to keep attention of the issue.

www.facebook.com/cayenneGTSoffroad
Old 06-12-2018, 06:44 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 134 Posts

Certain tourgeg ones will fit the Cayenne. You will have to match your front diff ratio or replace both with matching T-Reg units. Member LupoSK has seen several conversions in his native country and states that rather than mess around with a controller, they simply hardwire a switch to control the stepper motor.

I too am interested in the conversion and hopefully will get around to it eventually.

Best,
TomF
Old 06-12-2018, 08:07 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
Certain tourgeg ones will fit the Cayenne. You will have to match your front diff ratio or replace both with matching T-Reg units. Member LupoSK has seen several conversions in his native country and states that rather than mess around with a controller, they simply hardwire a switch to control the stepper motor.

I too am interested in the conversion and hopefully will get around to it eventually.

Best,
TomF
Correction: all treg and q7 ones will fit. There are treg diffs with lockers available and also guys who build treg lockers for front diffs.
As you said, it's way easier to wire two cables to the center console and get an ON / OFF switch for the locker than try to integrate it into existing canbua and figure out the coding.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:49 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
Correction: all treg and q7 ones will fit. There are treg diffs with lockers available and also guys who build treg lockers for front diffs.
As you said, it's way easier to wire two cables to the center console and get an ON / OFF switch for the locker than try to integrate it into existing canbua and figure out the coding.
I would be very interested how a stepper motor can be controlled with an on off switch. Usually a microcontroller such as an Arduino is required. Hence, "stepper" they usually do not just spin around and such. If it was as easy as that then we could just use an on/off switch to control the transfer case stepper and for example, put the transfer case clutch in 100% rear wheel drive mode. Does anybody have any links to such a setup without a controller?
A rear locking diff, limited slip, or viscous coupling is something that I am interested in as well. I imagine there is something out there that a Cayenne ring gear could be adapted onto. Maybe some machining to make the bearings fit. of course spline count, pitch, and axle diameter is going to play into this too.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:19 AM
RS-America
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 102 Posts

Also following as the warranty on our 958 diesel is ending soon. Our CD spends most of its time off-road this would be an interesting mod.
Also wonder if there would be additional problems for the diesel. It is my understanding that the reason diesels were not available with front and rear lockers is due to the higher engine torque.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:03 AM
h_____
Instructor

Lupo.sk,

Are any of these guys working on a commercial basis? Or can you put me in touch with them. Keen to start working on some of the details. Clearly need to start with understanding what I've got already in terms of ratios. Then see how I can get this done. I really dont want to have engineer something, I'd rather take a proven method of doing it.

regards

Hugh
Old 06-13-2018, 06:23 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
I would be very interested how a stepper motor can be controlled with an on off switch. Usually a microcontroller such as an Arduino is required. Hence, "stepper" they usually do not just spin around and such. If it was as easy as that then we could just use an on/off switch to control the transfer case stepper and for example, put the transfer case clutch in 100% rear wheel drive mode. Does anybody have any links to such a setup without a controller?
A rear locking diff, limited slip, or viscous coupling is something that I am interested in as well. I imagine there is something out there that a Cayenne ring gear could be adapted onto. Maybe some machining to make the bearings fit. of course spline count, pitch, and axle diameter is going to play into this too.
I asked the guy and the button is actually Forward - STOP - Backwards. He engages it by feel (holds the fwd button for a couple of sec) said it was a temporary solution for testing and it kinda stuck
Old 06-14-2018, 01:55 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
It is my understanding that the reason diesels were not available with front and rear lockers is due to the higher engine torque.
The 958 turbos have PTV+ (rear locker) available and they make more hp & torque than the diesels.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:34 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Originally Posted by h_____
Lupo.sk,

Are any of these guys working on a commercial basis? Or can you put me in touch with them. Keen to start working on some of the details. Clearly need to start with understanding what I've got already in terms of ratios. Then see how I can get this done. I really dont want to have engineer something, I'd rather take a proven method of doing it.

regards

Hugh
I asked and they don't want to do it commercially. It's actually controlled by a modified RC model controller of some sort. They used it as a off the shelf temporary solution that kinda became permanent.

As for finding out the gear ratios, google is your friend.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:30 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

They are probably using a potentiometer. I still don't think it works. Attempting to guess which position the stepper motor is in seems kinda dumb. Since there is no way to know the motor would be activated until it binds at either end of mechanical travel in the locker assembly.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:19 AM
h_____
Instructor

OK - some good information - It appears it not as easy as I first thought. I've trawled through the usual diff people for offroad stuff and drawn a blank. I got a few laughs on the why would you need one ...but hey.

I've even asked about retrofit of the factory setup, crazy as that sounds. I'm waiting some info back, but apparently the upgrade was plug and play on early 957 chassis numbers and the control module available from Porsche. Not got all the details for that yet.

This is going to take some time......I've decided I'm going to get the petrol tank protection sorted first, and then come back to this little project. Its not over yet. ...
Old 07-03-2018, 01:06 AM
LAPorscheGuy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very interested in these lockers, I have an 04 Turbo that I'm thinking of turning into an off-road capable camper...
Old 11-13-2018, 05:12 PM
1BadAction
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hugh! I shot you a message on your GTSOffroad page a little while ago on an unrelated offroad question.

I know this post was about selectable lockers, but why not a Torsen differential? In the sand and the slop they will lock right up automagically, and they're damn sure more reliable than any of the electric or air crap. A cable driven mechanical locker like the OX would have the same reliability as a torsen but they're pretty rare and not really necessary on the Cayenne since a torsen will lock as soon as the brakes apply on the spinning wheel.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:05 AM
h_____
Instructor

Hi,

I assume I responded!!! :-) Hadnt thought about Torsen. Didnt really know a lot about them. I've pinged them a mail to see if they support Cayennes. I cant quite see if they offer a full lock solution or not. It reads like they dont. I dont use the stability systems on the car, and interestingly if you are stuck in the sand and put all the traction / PASM toys back on, the car goes nowhere. The cayenne system 957 doesnt seem to be good enough to operate quickly enough to slow a spinning wheel and transfer the torque across.

My research on this so far is that you need new diffs, new drive shafts and a new computer / controller. Sadly the later 957s werent good a retro fit. My garage hasnt taken the bait for working through this one, at a sensible cost. If I can turn with a solution and get them to put in place I stand a chance. Still keen to do this.

regards

Hugh
Old 11-15-2018, 02:55 PM
1BadAction
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You did, thank you sir!

Eaton calls them tru-tracs, but there are a bunch of names for them. Torsen is the actual style. They lock in automatically due to the design of the gears even without traction control systems. If one side does happen to turn, a quick tap of the brakes will lock the differential gear up and it will stay locked until you're back on level ground. Here is a decent example of their operation... These trucks are front and rear torsen, no abs or other nonsense. >
and here's an explanation of the various designs, skip ahead to 6mins for the Torsen. >

In your case a torsen will lock and stay locked since you have load on both tires (sand). Once you get out in that slop and it locks, it probably wouldn't unlock until you got back to solid ground.

Looking around at these axles and diffs, I don't think you're going to find one for a cayenne unless they had them under Audis or Touring-eggs. It appears these are sealed and meant to be replaced as a whole unit. That doesn't mean you can't buy one and tear into it to figure out how to make one work... But at that point if you're really set on a full locker, you could likely figure out how to make an ARB air locker fit, and tie it into the factory air system. Piggyback the ARB control solenoid to the switch on the center console and it would integrate like it was factory.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket diff locker for 957 2008 GTS ** OFFROAD **