Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help again, weird noise coming from the engine.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 06:59 PM
Drangueos
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help again, weird noise coming from the engine.

Hi,

I need help again
My car is doing a weird noise, looks like it is coming from inside the intake manifold, but I could be wrong, It stops after 2 minutes that the car is on.
Also the 1st time I start the car, it is a little bit hard to start, If I try to start, I will need to crank it for 5s so it starts BUT if I crank for 2s, turn it off and crank again it will start as normal.

So far what I did trying to fix the problems:
1-Changed the spark plugs for new ones, the ones that were in the car are ok, but the gap was wrong, the new ones have the correct gap.
2-Changed oil
3-Checked the oil separator, the diaphragm is ok, cleaned and put it back together.
4-Removed the throttle body, cleaned and changed gasket
5-Plugged a diagnostic tool to see if I could find any problems, no problems found, no misfires...

Videos showing the problem:

My car:

video I found on youtube with the same problem:

Any Idea what is happening?
My car has 60k miles.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:10 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,230 Likes on 3,971 Posts

Couple ideas... Open and close the driver's door a few times (3 or 4) before trying to start the car. Opening the door primes the fuel pump and you should be able to hear it activate for a few seconds each time you open the door. If you hear it and after doing that the car starts fine, you might have the start if a fuel pump issue. I don't know if there's an anti-drain back valve in the system, but if so, it might be letting the lines lose their prime, but activation the pump a few times before the first start should overcome that for diagnostics.

You may also have 2 fuel pumps. With the tank 3/4 full you can pull the fuse for 1 pump and see how the car starts and runs, then put that fuse back in and pull the fuse for the other pump and test again. If you have 2 pumps and one us bad or going bad, that should isolate it.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,144 Likes on 759 Posts

At least on the 958 series - the pumps only prime once in 15 minutes. Opening the door repeatedly has no effect on that. There are 2 pumps in the tank on all the 955/957 series vehicles, and there are actually several check valves built into the fuel filter (top of the tank) and the fuel pressure regulator - the top on the other side of the tank.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:03 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
At least on the 958 series - the pumps only prime once in 15 minutes. Opening the door repeatedly has no effect on that. There are 2 pumps in the tank on all the 955/957 series vehicles, and there are actually several check valves built into the fuel filter (top of the tank) and the fuel pressure regulator - the top on the other side of the tank.
You're right (of course you are) that on my 09 TTS the pump only primes the first time the door is opened - no noise with repeated subsequent openings.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:55 PM
Drangueos
Intermediate

Thanks guys, I will try that tomorrow.
Could that be the cause for the weird noise as well?
Old 05-31-2018, 10:27 PM
Drangueos
Intermediate

I did try this, but I could only hear the pumps the first time I got in the car. Will try again with more time.
The battery voltage is 12.2V only, so that could be the reason, I will probably buy a new battery.

But I'm more worried about the noise that you can hear every 7 seconds when the engine is cold.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:40 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

+Anton Klein I had the same problem since I own my 2004 3.2 V6... And one Renntech member (thanks him) find the problem and it take about 5-10 mins to fix it. Go to the vw dealer and order the upper hydrolic timing chain tensioner (same as the touareg 3.2). In canada I paid about 60$ but probably cheaper in usa. Make sure your car and engine is not moving and put the handbrake. If you face the car on your left side from the top of the engine put your hand just over the cat (make sure engine is cold) and you will touch but not see a 27mm hexagonal bolt. Take a ratchet and extension remove old tensioner (few drops of oil will drop) take the new one soak in it in oil and put it back slowly and tight it. At the first 3-4 engine restart you may hear knocking noice, probably the computer need to adjust. I made it this week, I can provide you the part number if you want. I have video showing exactly (before) the loud noise and at 4250 rpm and up engine running smoothly. It also fix the knocking during warmup. Even Porsche dealer where not able to find the problem, thanks to Renntech.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:27 PM
Drangueos
Intermediate

I thought about ordering that part: http://amzn.eu/39cmfdH
But if you read the guys reply, you will see that he changed this and it didn't fix the issue.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:44 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Drangueos
you will see that he changed this and it didn't fix the issue.
Soner = yes
Anton = no
Old 06-02-2018, 07:37 AM
Drangueos
Intermediate

Originally Posted by phatz
Soner = yes
Anton = no
Anyway, I ordered it yesterday, thanks for the help, should arrive soon from Amazon.. I will prime it and change it today or tomorrow depending the time they deliver.
Also ordered a Stethoscope, so I can try to hear where the noise is coming from.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:16 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

I did try this, but I could only hear the pumps the first time I got in the car. Will try again with more time.
The battery voltage is 12.2V only, so that could be the reason, I will probably buy a new battery.
Read the follow up posts...it does NOT start the fuel pumps every time you open the door. I never timed it on my 955, but 15 minutes sounds about right.
Also, no battery is going to maintain a perfect 12.6 volt charge after a few days of non use (or short trips) in a vehicle like a Cayenne.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:20 PM
Drangueos
Intermediate

I'm going away for 2 weeks, will try to sort out the problems when I come back.
Thanks for the help so far.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:23 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drangueos
I'm going away for 2 weeks, will try to sort out the problems when I come back.
Thanks for the help so far.
As an FYI, its not the best idea to post vacation plans on a public forum...
Old 06-04-2018, 12:34 AM
Drangueos
Intermediate

no worries, I'm not going on vacations/holidays, but I cannot say what I'm gonna do because of obvious reasons
Old 06-05-2018, 01:27 PM
stefan063
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To me it sounds like bad throttle body

Quick Reply: Need help again, weird noise coming from the engine.