Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Location of F/R Auto Leveling Headlight Sensors - 2009 Cayenne 957 Turbo S with PDCC

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 11:11 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts
Default Location of F/R Auto Leveling Headlight Sensors - 2009 Cayenne 957 Turbo S with PDCC

Car is a 2009 Cayenne 957 Turbo S with PDCC.

On my recently put back together widebody Cayenne, the headlights go through their start up routine - dip down and then raise up, but because of the aftermarket front bumper I can't adjust the headlight brackets / buckets manually any further down and the headlights are pointed up too high, so I'm looking to adjust the arm length for either the front or rear leveling sensor to fake the controller into lowering the lights further to make them "level". I did a similar process on my 997 when installing a racing suspension and just made a new bracket for where the rear leveling sensor attaches to the Lower Control Arm, but on the Cayenne, I can't find the sensors, even after referencing the PET catalog and the diagrams. I thought I found them, but they turned out the be the air suspension leveling sensors as there's one in that position at all 4 corners. In PET, looking at where they should be, what I see is components of the PDCC system in the rear subframe, so I'm either:
  1. looking in the wrong place,
  2. or because my Cayenne has PDCC, the Xenon light leveling sensors are located somewhere else,
  3. or they're actually tied into the suspension leveling sensors, in which case I'm SOL and am going to have to come up with a different plan,
Figured someone here would know and or have photos to make it easier. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:54 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I believe the Cayenne is a little different from the 997 and uses the same sensor for suspension and headlight calibration.

Search for this part number and you will find all kinds of diagrams:

It is located on the upper control arm. You can see find it on page 158 here - part #19:
https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pd...SA_KATALOG.pdf
Old 05-01-2018, 12:56 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

yep... sorry, that it appears to be #3
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/95534107621/
Old 05-02-2018, 12:40 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That's what I was afraid of after removing one of the sensor arms, having the rear drop down to the end of the travel, and not seeing any other similar looking height sensors. This means I will either need to manually lift the rear of the headlight buckets or I may need to recalibrate the suspension to lift the rear of the truck a little, as it looks a little low to me anyway, relative to the front, but my level placed at a few different locations says I do have rear to front forward rake, even though it doesn't often look like it - probably because of the sloped roofline at the rear. I'll have to look at some online photos as to how others are sitting.

Thanks for the info and confirming my suspicion that the light level sensors and suspension level sensors are one in the same.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:54 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

There may be a way to recalibrate the headlight stepper motor too, right? How many degrees of adjustment do you think you need?
Old 05-07-2018, 04:25 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 957 Likes on 598 Posts

I do not recall what Durametric can do for 957 function for this issue, but you might be able to shim top or bottom of travel. Swinging for the fences here.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:33 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

On the 958 lights - there apparently is a calibration that can be done with a Porsche specific code tool (I think iCarScan was where I saw it.. don't know on Durametric, I'm sure PIWIS has it if iCarScan does) Don't know if that's true on the 957. Since the level of the vehicle and the aiming of the lights is intimately tied together - the thing to do is to first get the vehicle set to where you want it to be, then look into the headlight adjustment. If that's doable to me it's much preferable to shimming things.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:09 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
I do not recall what Durametric can do for 957 function for this issue, but you might be able to shim top or bottom of travel. Swinging for the fences here.
There are 4 10mm bolts with slotted adjusters for the headlight buckets - 2 at the front and 2 at the back. I have the rears on both sides all the way up and the fronts as far down as I can get them, but not all the way down. The problem is the front bumper where the headlights slide in over it is angled up a little - more on one side than the other, and if I adjust the fronts any further down, I won't be able to get the headlights out ever again. To remove them now, I slide old hotel keys between the bumper and the light at the positions where the gasket hooks are located to allow it to slide out. I don't see anything in the Lighting module with my Durametric Pro connected where I can calibrate the light leveling sensors.

If where I have it isn't good enough, I'll have to either lift the rear a little with Durametric settings since i think it might be a little low anyway or I'll need to trim away a bit of the bumper fiberglass that's hidden under the headlight after they're installed that would let me lower the front if the headlight bucket on that one side using the front adjusters.

When the lights first come on, they're actually not aimed too badly, then a few seconds later the leveling sensor kicks in and lifts them up - it would be better if they just stayed down where they are when the switch is first turned on.

I'm inclined to leave it as I have it currently and see how it goes.

Quick Reply: Location of F/R Auto Leveling Headlight Sensors - 2009 Cayenne 957 Turbo S with PDCC