PSM and ABS lights - unexpected solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 05:15 AM
Joefus
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PSM and ABS lights - unexpected solution

Hi Guys,

Recently had the PSM and ABS lights come up on the '06 CTTS with the take it to the workshop recommendation.
Expected symptoms were the ABS grabbing when coming to a stop even at low speed and sometimes having a hesitation on release when driving off from standstill.
The unexpected symptom was the behaviour of the transmission:
In drive the car would no longer change up a gear unless we were headed down hill (no load?) but the car would take every opportunity to downshift even if the revs did not warrant it.
Driving in D became impossible as I thought I might cause some damage to the transmission. Driving in manual mode was fine - even quite enjoyable for a change as I have often found the the gear changes to come at very low revs in lower gears.
I owned the '06 CS for 6 years and that used to change gears at 1500 rpm which I thought quite low - the same year CTTS changes at 2000 which is better.

Anyhow, I plugged in the durametric and interrogated the PSM and ABS - No reported faults - nothing also from the instrument cluster - even though I had multiple warning lights in the cluster.

The answer came when I interrogated the Transmission - it reported an code - 1680 - RPM signal for front right wheel.

It appears the sensor in the wheel had failed and this was being used by the transmission to set change points.

Odd that the error message on the cluster reports ABS and PSM while the onboard diagnostics report Transmission.

The Porsche part 95560640610/11 costs £114 + 20% VAT in the UK but as it is the same part on VW and Audi it can be easily bought for around £35 including VAT.

The part is held in by a 6mm Allen head machine screw which, because of its placing and exposure to salt, I had to file the edges to get a spanner/wrench on.
The body of the sensor fits into a hole drilled into the suspension - this I put penetrating oil on every night for a week to no avail.

I had to drill it out and pull out the pieces with tweezers.

New part went in super easy and corrected the faults with ABS/PSM and Transmission within 50 yards of driving.

Old wheel sensor in place

Transmission code

No Codes for ABS/PSM
Old 04-25-2018, 11:21 AM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I really like it when people post detailed post repair information like this. Not much to discuss but I'm sure it'll save someone hundreds of dollars down the road.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Excellent diagnostic work. Great job!
Old 04-27-2018, 03:39 AM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

What are the VW and Audi part numbers?
Old 04-27-2018, 02:05 PM
Joefus
Advanced

Phatz, The manufacturer is Ate and their part number is 24.0711-5401.3 for the left side and 24.0711-5402.3 for the right side.
The same part is listed for the Touareg.
I downloaded the Ate pdf from here: http://www.ate-brakes.com/media/1601...09_deutsch.pdf

I know it says 2009 but it is from their current website - The part actually has a VW stamp moulded into it!

Last edited by Joefus; 04-27-2018 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Ooops typed folded instead of moulded
Old 04-27-2018, 02:41 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks for adding those bits
Old 04-27-2018, 02:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

I think this is heading to the DIY subforum - copied - not moved. And I'll be removing a few posts that aren't directly related to the subject when it gets over there. Thanks much Joefus (Joe?) for documenting this fix. Good stuff!
Old 04-27-2018, 05:41 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good job troubleshooting.

I found this years ago when I bought an oscilloscope for this kind of thing. I think it's a pretty good guide for trouble shooting the wheel sensors and ABS.
https://www.picoauto.com/library/cas...peed-abs-fault
In this case the rust on the hub had expanded and moved the sensor farther away from the speed ring, so the ECU was seeing less signal (sound familiar). Definitely need to clean all that rust off!
Old 05-15-2018, 01:16 AM
Douglas61
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks a lot for sharing. It seems "durametric" is very useful in diagnosis. Now I feel I wasted money buying that "ICarScan X431"...
Old 05-15-2018, 02:13 AM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Douglas61
Thanks a lot for sharing. It seems "durametric" is very useful in diagnosis. Now I feel I wasted money buying that "ICarScan X431"...
I thought ICARSCAN does pretty much everything durametric does?
Old 05-15-2018, 02:39 AM
Douglas61
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried using it a few times on my iPad, didn't find it as insightful as durametric. durametric works on a PC.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:11 AM
Joefus
Advanced

The Durametric is pretty good - but I wish they would do an iPhone or iPad app for it.

I have an old Pc laptop that I keep just for Durametric.

Wifi and updates turned off so it doesn't get viruses or explode when it tries to install updates.

It would be great if someone who has both Durametric and ICARSCAN could do a real world comparison table of their functions.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:13 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Joefus
The Durametric is pretty good - but I wish they would do an iPhone or iPad app for it.

I have an old Pc laptop that I keep just for Durametric.

Wifi and updates turned off so it doesn't get viruses or explode when it tries to install updates.

It would be great if someone who has both Durametric and ICARSCAN could do a real world comparison table of their functions.
I do own both - and in the case of the 958 series - the iCarScan is the tool I reach for first. I haven't actually used the Durametric since I got the iCarScan - it seems the coverage is better on the iCarScan for the 958 than the Durametric is. That may be different with the series-1 cars (955/957). As far as doing a comparison table - lot of work to do actually. Some years ago I did a comparison of many diagnostics tools for the BMW-Car Club of America magazine "Roundel" - it took a lot of time to do - and then since I only had my own car to check the devices against - it was specific to a certain model BMW. Having to do a comparison between different tools on different year/models of Porsches sounds good until you go to actually do it. If someone wants to pay me - I'd consider it - otherwise, all I can say is I use my iCarScan rather than my Durametric, but as usual - YMMV.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:38 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I’ve got vagcom and the icarscan.
Both excellent, vagcom more detailed.

Quick Reply: PSM and ABS lights - unexpected solution