Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Cayenne Turbo S future value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 11:19 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

The future electric vehicles will outperform any gasoline powered version at the same price point.
The few millennials interested in performance will likely go that route.

This brings to mind a flashback...1980 I pulled up to a 7-11 in a 1970 Dodge Challenger, 440 6 pack was very visible on the hood.
Two 14 year old male/female standing nearby commented..."that thing must use a lot of gas, who would want to drive that"?
Old 01-05-2018, 11:44 AM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by v10rick
The future electric vehicles will outperform any gasoline powered version at the same price point.
But so as any quartz watch is capable of keeping time better than mechanical watch at 10x price. But there is still a market for $20k+ mechanical watches. It's not a mass market, but there is a market. Although you don't need 70$ a week to fill up your mechanical watch.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:50 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Wishful thinking, OP..... get the MOST bang-for-the-buck and drive it to the ground.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:06 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dugahole55
...they will be desired by a small group of enthusiasts...I would struggle with replacing it with any other newer vehicle, as the cost to do so would not give me any better of car in my opinion.
I won’t hold my breath regarding collectibility, but I would be in the enthusiast group as per above quote. I also struggle what would replace my 957 GTS; instead, I’ll keep driving it and have the high odometer be some sort of badge of honor.

I may even seek out a Transsyberia rally Cayenne - one of a handful that raced in the actual rally. And then enjoy it offroad when not parked next to my other period race cars.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:40 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Appreciate it for what is IS, not what it might become.

Life is too short to drive boring cars..
Old 01-06-2018, 10:34 AM
tsitz
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default thanks

All great thoughts, thanks. The ctts packs a pretty amazing amount of versatility for the price... but that's not what makes cars collectible. I don't know the numbers but the "S" versions just seemed few and far in between.

As I expected.... Guess I need to look into snow wheels/tires and have at it.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:19 PM
nychase
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

There were about 300 09 ctts iirc. I've got an extensive collection of cars and i really could have been the OP of this thread the way I treat mine. Last year I put 5k miles out of need...but only 1500 since. It's probably the lowest mile (47k) and best optioned one out there now that Pete's is not original and because of that I accidentally treat it like my other actually collectible cars (05 SY TTS Manual Coupe, 97 supra TT manual, 99 viper, etc.).

But here's what's crazy, every time I think I could use a great snow vehicle I eventually realize...I own the cayenne. Every time I think, man it's be nice to take the whole family in something other than our minivan I realize....I own the cayenne. Earlier today I was looking at a 14 Touareg TDI and then remembered....I own the cayenne.

Here's the good news, I doubt I could sell the P!G...there's nothing like it. If there was a CrossFit or decathlon for cars it would be winner every time.

I do think that 957 cayennes are incredibly under priced. I own a defender 110 and when you want one of them with even 75% of the power and just moderately close in lux features you better have 150k to spend. Even kinda crap but not fully rusted out mid 00s g-wagens are worth more than our ctts's ....what gives?

So my personal belief ctts's will be collectible one day. Those who say they won't don't own one of the 300 or own one that's lost it's collectibility. Considering 99% were driven hard and treated like dailies from day one and many have over 100k miles there will certainly be the demand to raise prices on the 30 or so good ones left out there.

The LM002 eventually came around despite it being a bastard child and you couldn't even buy tires for that thing for a while!
The following users liked this post:
f266 (08-10-2021)
Old 01-07-2018, 11:15 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by nychase
I do think that 957 cayennes are incredibly under priced. I own a defender 110 and when you want one of them with even 75% of the power and just moderately close in lux features you better have 150k to spend. Even kinda crap but not fully rusted out mid 00s g-wagens are worth more than our ctts's ....what gives?

I think you answered your own question. Cayennes are not seen as rugged or timeless SUV designs by most. G-wagens and Defenders are completely different beasts. They are designs that have stood proud for many decades and stood the test of time. They have completely different maintenance and aftermarket support than Cayennes and will always have a stronger following because Porsche keeps updating the Cayenne design and making it more of a Japanese looking crossover and less of a rough and tumble SUV with each iteration. It is also seen as just a gussied up VW by many - it really is the escalade of Germany.

What further hurts the collectibility is that Porsche still won't even release vital information about the specs of these engines which makes it very difficult and expensive to rebuild them - the Porsche engine lottery which affects all the V8's certainly doesn't help things either! It is the antithesis to supporting enthusiast culture in the platform which is what will eventually foster collectibility down the road.

I am curious. Other than someone like Jay Leno who just wants one of everything, who do you propose will be the types of buyers willing to fork out big money for these things in the future when electric SUV's will be able to run circles around them?
Old 01-08-2018, 01:41 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Only 300 957 TTS? Worldwide or just US? Because if ww, then I have seen and driven at least 5% of them in a tiny country in central yerp
Old 01-08-2018, 02:05 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
Only 300 957 TTS? Worldwide or just US? Because if ww, then I have seen and driven at least 5% of them in a tiny country in central yerp
Actually its 309 but that number is from a US sales report.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:37 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
I think you answered your own question. Cayennes are not seen as rugged or timeless SUV designs by most. G-wagens and Defenders are completely different beasts. They are designs that have stood proud for many decades and stood the test of time. They have completely different maintenance and aftermarket support than Cayennes and will always have a stronger following because Porsche keeps updating the Cayenne design and making it more of a Japanese looking crossover and less of a rough and tumble SUV with each iteration. It is also seen as just a gussied up VW by many - it really is the escalade of Germany.
All good points. Now an interesting question would be - whats going to happen with Lambo Urus values in 4-5 years. It's basically the Cayenne\Audi Q7 with different body kit and engine. If 2019 Cayenne Turbo going to lose 50% value in 3-4 years, will Lambo only going lose 30% ?
Old 01-08-2018, 05:08 PM
tsitz
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default last of the "true" offroad Cayennes?

My other thought on this generation is/was that isn't the '09 Cayenne TTS, a car that can out-accelerate many sportscars, and has lapped the 'Ring in 7:56, apparently an SUV record at the time (and just a tad faster than the Escalade ) still has a locking differential and some real off road suspension and drive capability.
My understanding is that newer (post 2010, of which there were very few) models scrapped the off road suspension options. I am, again, more than willing to be wrong.

But if so, that makes this car even cooler.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:45 PM
curtsr
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Never, a Cayenne is a truly a depreciating asset.
And I doubt that you will find many Cayenne detractors in a Cayenne sub-forum.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:10 AM
curtsr
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh and if you are not driving a Cayenne in the snow you are missing out on a lot of fun!
Old 01-10-2018, 01:27 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by curtsr
Oh and if you are not driving a Cayenne in the snow you are missing out on a lot of fun!
With PSM off

Quick Reply: 2009 Cayenne Turbo S future value?