Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Cayenne Turbo S future value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 04:25 PM
tsitz
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2009 Cayenne Turbo S future value?

Hi;
This post may very well be a wishful-thinking special, but I'd like anyone's thoughts on the potential for the '09 Cayenne Turbo S to become "collectible", or at least go up in value. Any chance?
I know many self-anointed Porsche purists consider the Cayenne a personal insult (I love the car myself, it is a pretty special piece of engineering), so I totally understand that it may never be. I just don't see many of the turbo "s" versions out there, at all. I could be all wrong.
My reaction, BTW, to Cayenne detractors (I've owned 3 944's, 3 911's, a 914, etc) is that unless your last name is Porsche, you aren't likely on the team, so it's really not your call what they make, or why. They seem to have done pretty well on their own. The cayenne was (and is) a financial savior, at the least. This one will beat many sports cars at their game, to boot.
Anyway. I am babying this 09 tts here in the driveway, keeping it off the salted roads, like I did with the 911's, when maybe I should drive it. It has 60k on it and is in stellar condition.
No one has a crystal ball but if anyone has any constructive, if critical, thoughts about its future value, Id really appreciate it.
Maybe if nothing else, I will realize I need to go out in the snow, forget the future, and have some fun.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:52 PM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Zero chance it goes up in value. The only model that has any chance at all of increasing in value is the GTS with the NA V-8, because of the switch to turbos. Even then, I highly doubt it.

Go out and have fun with it
The following users liked this post:
Booth9999 (08-24-2021)
Old 01-04-2018, 05:55 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

I think the only Turbo with almost a chance, but really also with no chance would be the 2006 CTTS. Maybe because I have one, but I wont hold my breath. Just drive it till it drops.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:02 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Forget it, they drop like crazy. I'd say the one to be of any value is 957 MT GTS for the US. For the RoW, none.

You might make some money doing a grey export to some Asian countriy with crazy taxes for cars with lots of HP but even then it will just be a couple of Gs more than regular value - at most.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:08 PM
V33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I share your enthusiasm about the 957TTS...but also think they will drop in value along with the other Cayennes...

I bought mine CPO with a 2 yr Porsche Warranty...made a FEW mods, lol (Tubi exhaust, Techart lowering module, factory black headlights, clear side markers, 22" Techart wheels and spacers)...

I couldn't ask for a better car...I will try and keep it literally forever...and will buy/mod another if something major happens...

Not to damper the passion of others who dig the 958s and newer...But as far as Cayennes go, I think Porsche hit a home run with the Turbo S...

Cheers,
Rich
Old 01-04-2018, 07:44 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 604 Posts

They all lose value—unless you put it a vault with nitrogen for 100 years—maybe—just maybe, but the storage fees will kill you.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:57 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 304 Likes on 232 Posts

What kind of time frame?
And up by how much?

They may well be collectible in 40 or 50 years, presuming gasoline powered cars are still on the road.

Even a nice Pinto is worth a few thousand today, but not original price when inflation is factored in.

I am afraid the Cayenne will fall into that category. Think "XJ-6" values, not "XKE". One issue is how many they made (lots and lots). Even a CTTS isn't a "rare" car. Maybe a manual one, but only 'maybe'.

Even the 928 is only finally starting to see real value lately. As in, nice ones (but only a few model years) being worth what they cost new, or a bit more. But again, raw dollar numbers, not adjusted for inflation.

I love my 955 CTT, and plan on driving it for as long as I can, but I don't hold any belief that it has any collectible value.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:58 PM
cfiiman
Instructor

Honestly I'm glad people think they won't become collectible, but only because I LOVE driving my CTT. With my 911TT I'm always worried about putting miles on it and I wish I wasn't b/c I love driving that one too. The CTT seems like the perfect vehicle to me, I get in, it is comfortable, has the bells and whistles, is gorgeous, and will out run most sports cars LOL. Plus it handles nice too
Old 01-04-2018, 10:16 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I hope this doesn't come off as sounding too dark, but this is just how I see it as a hobby level futurist.

There is little to no collectable car value on any Cayenne. It is basically a German Escalade. In order for a car to have collectable value in the future it needs to be well liked and or coveted by a meaningful percentage of the population who will want one to reminisce of days gone-by when there are few good left to be found. Sorry, but the Cayenne does not fit that mold. It is disliked by many for the display of seemingly unnecessary and reckless consumption or as a snobby soccer mom mobile by the genpop today. We love them because we own them, but not enough of us are going to be hoarding them in 40 years to drive up the price. Average people who do have one now will not appreciate the balance of all good things that we do and that won't be as compelling in the future anyways.

Anyone who is looking for a 2009 Porsche in the distant future is going to want the last manual transmission Turbo 911 with the mezger. That will pull any attention away from the CTTS that it could have hoped to have. Though, there might be a few fanatics out there who also may want to add a matching vintage manual GTS Cayenne as a kicker to the same year Carrera in their showroom. SUV's made in the last 15 years just aren't going to be as idolized as the current batch of analog classic trucks where the SUV began like the 60's broncos, blazers, Land rovers, land cruisers, binders, etc. Those will be repairable and rebuildable by most mechanics forever. Can you imagine how many electronic failures and glitches these things are going to have in 40-50 years and what a PITA getting new old stock Porsche parts for these will be?! They already make some things impossible like the steering column lock actuator with the relays soldered to the damn board! Porsche has clearly already EOL'd the 955 and 957 for us.

Also, self driving cars are going to change the car game. The younger generation already doesn't care about cars like we do or did. Many teenagers see vehicles as annoying, expensive, frustrating appliances. Car culture will diminish as that attitude continues to proliferate. I can't tell you how many friends I have with kids who are truly apathetic about getting their license at 16, 17, or even 18 years old. That was unheard of when I was growing up.

The best value you will get out of that car is driving the wheels off of it right now while all the rubber is fresh, the insulation is on the wiring and still pliable, and gas is cheap. Go do some freaking donuts in the snow, OP! That car is not going to end up in a museum.

Last edited by nodoors; 01-04-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:21 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

"The best value you will get out of that car is driving the wheels off of it right now while all the rubber is fresh, the insulation is on the wiring and still pliable, and gas is cheap. Go do some freaking donuts in the snow, OP! That car is not going to end up in a museum."
THIS
Old 01-04-2018, 10:47 PM
cfiiman
Instructor

Originally Posted by nodoors
I hope this doesn't come off as sounding too dark, but this is just how I see it as a hobby level futurist.

There is little to no collectable car value on any Cayenne. It is basically a German Escalade. In order for a car to have collectable value in the future it needs to be well liked and or coveted by a meaningful percentage of the population who will want one to reminisce of days gone-by when there are few good left to be found. Sorry, but the Cayenne does not fit that mold. It is disliked by many for the display of seemingly unnecessary and reckless consumption or as a snobby soccer mom mobile by the genpop today. We love them because we own them, but not enough of us are going to be hoarding them in 40 years to drive up the price. Average people who do have one now will not appreciate the balance of all good things that we do and that won't be as compelling in the future anyways.

Anyone who is looking for a 2009 Porsche in the distant future is going to want the last manual transmission Turbo 911 with the mezger. That will pull any attention away from the CTTS that it could have hoped to have. Though, there might be a few fanatics out there who also may want to add a matching vintage manual GTS Cayenne as a kicker to the same year Carrera in their showroom. SUV's made in the last 15 years just aren't going to be as idolized as the current batch of analog classic trucks where the SUV began like the 60's broncos, blazers, Land rovers, land cruisers, binders, etc. Those will be repairable and rebuildable by most mechanics forever. Can you imagine how many electronic failures and glitches these things are going to have in 40-50 years and what a PITA getting new old stock Porsche parts for these will be?! They already make some things impossible like the steering column lock actuator with the relays soldered to the damn board! Porsche has clearly already EOL'd the 955 and 957 for us.

Also, self driving cars are going to change the car game. The younger generation already doesn't care about cars like we do or did. Many teenagers see vehicles as annoying, expensive, frustrating appliances. Car culture will diminish as that attitude continues to proliferate. I can't tell you how many friends I have with kids who are truly apathetic about getting their license at 16, 17, or even 18 years old. That was unheard of when I was growing up.

The best value you will get out of that car is driving the wheels off of it right now while all the rubber is fresh, the insulation is on the wiring and still pliable, and gas is cheap. Go do some freaking donuts in the snow, OP! That car is not going to end up in a museum.
Well said, and I agree 100%, WTF is wrong with younger people today. I swear they don't even talk to each other anymore unless it is through some device
Old 01-05-2018, 12:42 AM
dorumac
Intermediate

Keep it in the garage in like new condition for the next owner, who will buy it from you for pennies.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:59 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

If you can keep it in its current condition for the next 20 years or so, that's when I'll be ready to replace my current 09 CTTS, but then I'll have to do the widebody conversion and other mods ruining it's collectibility again

Drive it & enjoy it. That's what I'll be doing with mine.

Last edited by Petza914; 01-08-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:48 AM
dugahole55
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree with everyone that the Cayenne's are a great vehicle and seem to depreciate more than one would expect, but I think that's why it's brought use to this forum as it has become an affordable vehicle, and to our advantage when in the Turbo or Turbo S variant. They seem to be a great buy if they have lower or reasonably low mileage, about 6 to 8 years old and have been maintained. They won't become collectable but they will be desired by a small group of enthusists. Mine is 11 years old now and I would struggle with replacing it with any other newer vehicle, as the cost to do so would not give me any better of car in my opinion.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cayenne is mass market people carrier.
But so were the Ford Broncos - and these are actually appreciated.
But I doubt Cayennes will ever appreciate.There may be some unicorns like 2014 V8 GTS with Manual - but the rest of the Cayennes in the market will drive value down.

Quick Reply: 2009 Cayenne Turbo S future value?