Sponsored by:

2004 Cayenne 955 Turbo Upgrade Build Thread, Custom Manifolds, BW EFR 7163's

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 02:40 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Quick update.

We have several revisions in and the few simple bugs worked out with the custom coding/programming. Still extremely early in the game but the results thus far are nothing short of impressive. Running about 11lbs of boost right now and this thing just sh**s all over a friends 2006 Turbo S I have over here. Its not even funny. Add a lil power and tq and bye bye infamous throttle lag. Now I get scratches if I give it to much pedal pulling away. On the downside my FMIC while large, (24x6x3.5 vertical core) just is not going to be up to the task and we are already seeing a temp rise of around 40 degrees on a 3rd gear pull so this needs to be adressed immediatly. Fitting a high capacity intercooling system of any style whether air to air or water to air is a huge challenge in the Cayenne because of space and just how its put together. Right now it looks like I am going to stick with air to air and have Bell make me a cooler that utilizes one of their 24x14x4.5 vertical cores. Bell is really awesome and we are already working on some cad with solidworks to develop one.
Unfortunatly I won't be able to make TX Mile this year but quite a bit of progress is still very close.

I am including a log file to give you an idea of how good the logging is for all you nerds like me. Literally thousands of maps can be logged and presented in the Excel format and then you have visual ME7 that can show graphs.
Attached Files
Old 09-15-2018, 03:08 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Niiiice. Have you thought about CO2 spraying the IC? That's what I have on mine, it drops the temp instantly and it's good for quite some run time.

Btw, my friend tried air/water ICs on his q7 because he wanted better cooling while offroading and promptly went back to air/air as it couldn't keep the charge air cool and actually fluctuated more than original air/air
Old 09-15-2018, 03:22 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
Niiiice. Have you thought about CO2 spraying the IC? That's what I have on mine, it drops the temp instantly and it's good for quite some run time.

Btw, my friend tried air/water ICs on his q7 because he wanted better cooling while offroading and promptly went back to air/air as it couldn't keep the charge air cool and actually fluctuated more than original air/air
Actually no, I didn't even think about it. Thank you. I am going to check it out. Water to air is most definatly out of the question. The strong suit with air to air is repeatability and consitency. Problem is that if you tune for water meth, co2, etc, and then that system fails, the results can be catastrophic.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:30 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
Actually no, I didn't even think about it. Thank you. I am going to check it out. Water to air is most definatly out of the question.
The nice thing about it a huge *** co2 tank fits in the back and you can have two. It's just a matter of a little solenoid and voila.
Or just use a co2 fire extinguisher for testing. The way we did it on mine is we bent a copper tube and made small holes in it, sealed one end and made a double S in front of the IC with holes pointing to the sides and towards IC. When I hit it, it would instantly vaporize on the ICs and cooling by A LOT. I don't remember the actual number but all that was needed was a 3 -5s burst. And it looks cools AF when you hit it on a red light while idling - white fog kinda oozing out of wheel wells and bumper ;-)

I can make some pics when I get my porker back from steering replacement.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:49 PM
user 83838290
Banned

That's about the visual you can expect
Old 09-15-2018, 03:52 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Found the pics.

Attachment 1291091

Attachment 1291090

Last edited by user 83838290; 08-22-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:37 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Got the new FMIC that Bell designed for me today! Pics just don't do justice to the quality. I highly suggest working with Bell for your cooling needs. One of the BEST experiences I have had in this. Hat's off to the professionals over at one of the oldest names in turbocharging and especially Jonathan Gwinn who assisted me. 9 emails, probably 5 of them revisions, and 12 days later I bring to you the worlds largest and most ridiculous FMIC a Cayenne has ever seen.

Before. This Treadstone unit was a decent cooler and something like this could be a good upgrade for the stock turbo guys. I picked this one up new on ebay from a private seller and paid only $160.

The following users liked this post:
DougNuts (03-09-2022)
Old 10-04-2018, 11:19 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

That is a work of art. Looks like you have a small plumbing project to add another boost pipe to the throttle body. What delta temps are you hoping to achieve with this upgrade?
Old 10-04-2018, 12:53 PM
user 83838290
Banned

That's really beautiful!
Why didn't you go with single inlet / outlet design again?
Old 10-05-2018, 01:01 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nodoors
That is a work of art. Looks like you have a small plumbing project to add another boost pipe to the throttle body. What delta temps are you hoping to achieve with this upgrade?
Air to air generally doesn't go lower than ambient, so as close to ambient as possible! What should be much better is the lower speeds "reserve" efficiency. The old intercooler was heating up and cooling down very quickly. Of course heat soak is another factor that may be the yang. This IC is very close the R35 gtr race intercoolers with like 3 added bars. Lots of guys use those on various build close in displacement and turbo size to my build so there is quite a bit of data out there in that respect. I think I have more frontal area and two added cylinders. Should work well. Of course I consulted with Bell and relied on their expert opinion too.

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
That's really beautiful!
Why didn't you go with single inlet / outlet design again?
Right! I thought about cheaping out and buying a core only and making the tanks and welding it all up but then I woke up and now I'm glad it was just a dream. The penetration and quality of the welds is like rocket ship shi* and it has internal channeling and stuff.
I would have just done a single 3.5" like I have now but the real problem is the hood latch. This IC takes up every last inch of space available and the two outlets allow the latch to sit in between the top tanks. I don't want to pin the hood and eliminate the latch. The top pipes are going to be interesting bends and I wont know exactly what until I get the IC mounted. I'm really pushing limits of what will fit. I am also going to trim a section of the front air duct radiator shroud out and lay back/trim/reinforce the crash beam to increase airflow to the bottom half of the IC. It sits in the same spot as the first FMIC but the extra inch in core thickness go's to the rear to the rear. Bottom inlets are now going under the crash beam. I'l try to throw up some pics as I get in in.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:29 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Top of bay shot.
A few pics of the progress.

Old hardware off, ready for surgery.

Thank god it fits, barely, cuz I own it now.

Shot of the outlet end tank.

Inlet end tank with the airflow divider/channel. This ensures that the incoming air will be distributed evenly to the whole core.

To fit this big IC I had to clearance the crash beam for the lower inlet pipes. Here I took sch 40 steel steam pipe and made a couple cutouts.

I cut a strip from the top of the beam to give the bottom couple of inches of the core more flow.

I sectioned the piece I took out of the top and welded it to the inside to add some strength back. Welds look like crap because I didn't have a sander that would fit in there to strip and welded right thru the paint

Top shot of the bay and the y-pipe I fabricated from a u bend. 2-3" inlets to a 3 1/2" outlet.

I love pie cuts because they are so cheap and the bends you can make are infinite. This is a 3.25"CLR from 3" tube, 15degree total slice with a 1.23" long-long side.

Driver side cold side passing thru the core support.

Some of my better beads.

Drivers hot side.

There is no space left.

Pass side hot side. Trans cooler and PWM controller in pic.

Maybe by the end of this weekend I can have it back together and running.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:25 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks beautiful. I bet it feels great to bring some symmetry back to the frontend too.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:43 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Lol, so polite! Yes, I should have done this in the first place but with so many unknowns I had to prioritize the budget.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:43 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Well done, sir. Your commitment to this extremely difficult project and your continued progress are truly admirable. Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:23 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CTTS520
Well done, sir. Your commitment to this extremely difficult project and your continued progress are truly admirable. Thank you for sharing.
Thank you! Unfortunatly I am past the point of turning back. I'm ready to make some POWER!

Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne 955 Turbo Upgrade Build Thread, Custom Manifolds, BW EFR 7163's