Sponsored by:

is it true?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 01:31 AM
2 EURO
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question is it true?!

My friend tells me that owning a boxster can potentially run someone broke if you're not rich.

He said that if there is any major parts that need to be replaced in the engine you need to drop the engin because it's a mid engine. Is this true?

I'm planning on buying a used boxster and this scares me if something happens and the engine needs to be dropped for repairs.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:53 AM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet your friend drives a 1977 Rabbit too...
If you do the research and buy a good car you shouldn't have any problems. You will have maintenance to do, you will have repair bills too.
You are buying a used car. Find a good shop to look after the car, and finds out from them what repairs and maintenance costs will be.
And find a more knowledgable friend.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:02 AM
2 EURO
Track Day

Thanks for the reply GMS... but you didn't answer my question. If there are repairs that need to be done on the engine will they need to drop it?
Old 09-15-2003, 02:11 AM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO. For normal service work the engine stays in the car. The panel behind the front seats is removable for access to the front of the engine. Apart from the air filter, all maintenance is done from under the car. The clutch is accessed by pulling only the transmission (about 5 hours for the complete job).
The only real reason for engine removal is for engine replacement.
This is one reason why if you are on a budget you should get a car still under factory warranty, or with a good extended one, as engine failures are not that rare, although a replacement engine from Porsche is only around $5500. Only buy a Boxster that has a traceable history, this includes full Porsche dealer service history with stamps in the book.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:13 AM
2 EURO
Track Day

GMS... you've put a smile on my face again!

Old 09-15-2003, 02:47 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

somewhat on this topic, if i walk into a dealer looking for a pre owned boxster do they offer an extended warranty usually? (included or purchased for extra $)

i have been toying with the idea of ditching my bmw for something newer and more fun to daily drive, i change my mind about what i want just about weekly and this week the boxster is getting a good look. i plan on leaving the car stock (yea, right... well atleast MOSTLY stock ) so it would be nice to have that dealer warranty safety net... i already get enough of that expensive porsche parts & repairs crap from my other cars!
Old 09-15-2003, 09:32 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Porsche just recently upped there "certified car" warranty, but I'm afraid I don't have the details. When I bought mine this spring, it came certified with an additional 1 yr/unlimited mileage warranty. But since then, I think it's been upped to two or more. Definitely worth looking into.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:49 AM
EricT
Intermediate

Certified Porsches get the warranty upgraded from 4/50 to 6/100. Of course, you pay a premium buying a used Boxster from the dealer instead of elsewhere. About $3k from the research I've been doing.

I'm shopping too, and have the same dilemma. My plan is to get an extended warranty from a 3rd party. Anyone have any recommendations?

Quick Reply: is it true?!