Sponsored by:

Lifter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 10:51 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lifter Issues

Well folks my 2005 Boxster none S with 80K miles on the clock was indicating lifter issues so took her over to the mechanic and my analysis was correct, the lifters on the passenger side require replacing. Replacing all lifters is recommended.

Here is what I've checked to determine the culprit was lifter issue:

1- Checked headers and verified torque no exhaust leaks.
2- Checked Spark-plugs and verified torque.
3- Change oil and added additive SeaFoam
4- Raised Boxster and checked the noise with a short hose and also with a screw driver to the ear. The noise is loud old sewing machine (awful noise)

I have to ask if this is an issue that is on the rise or just my luck...

The repair cost to replace all lifters plus labor is $1,850.00

O'well happy motoring!
Old 05-24-2014, 09:27 AM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

I would say not unheard of. They are not all bad, but while your in there may as well replace them all. The oil goes into them and does not really come out, so if they get plugged up they usually stay that way.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

As Lon stated dirt in the oil tends to go in the lifters & never come out.
Guess what Seafoam does? Break up anything not already in the lifters & send it there.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:03 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

I honesty believe this issue could not had been prevented since the boxster receives outstanding preventive service. I believe the lifter just failed. Seafoam did not cause the issue, reason for adding provide additional lubrication. My research indicates this issue is getting popular as these m96 engines age. I'll keep posting with results after repairs.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:07 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Only positive, I get to drive the 997 often until the boxster is well again!
Old 05-24-2014, 03:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by cvazquez
Well folks my 2005 Boxster none S with 80K miles on the clock was indicating lifter issues so took her over to the mechanic and my analysis was correct, the lifters on the passenger side require replacing. Replacing all lifters is recommended.

4- Raised Boxster and checked the noise with a short hose and also with a screw driver to the ear. The noise is loud old sewing machine (awful noise)

O'well happy motoring!
Just your luck.

We know in cases of even extraordinary high miles lifters can last without any issues as can all the other engine parts.

Many owners drive their cars completely unaware of the fact there are any lifters in the engine at all and never have any problems. Maybe they can't hear the lifter noise over the failing IMSB..

Just kidding.

About all I can offer is the advise to change the oil/filter at frequent (reasonably frequent) intervals. That is about all you can do for the lifters and the rest of the engine. Oh, that and treat the engine (the entire car) with some reasonable amount of automotive mechanical empathy.

As for Seafoam… let us see what this contains that could possible for it to supply extra or additional engine protection…

The major component is "pale oil" CAS # 64742-54-7 which makes up of between 40 and 60% by weight of Seafoam.

What is 64742-54-7? It a complex combination of hydrocarbons obtained by treating a petroleum fraction with hydrogen in the presence of a catalyst. It consists of hydrocarbons having carbon numbers predominantly in the range of C20 through C50 and produces a finished oil of at least 100 SUS at 100.degree.F (19cSt at 40.degree.C). It contains a relatively large proportion of saturated hydrocarbons.

Pretty much the same base oil as is used in the manufacture of a number of oils.

Next comes "naphtha", CAS # 64742-49-0; and this makes up between 25 and 35 % of Seafoam. This is a feedstock for high octane gasoline and can be turned into a fuel for camp stoves, lighter fluid and a cleaner.

Third on the list: IPA. CAS # 67-63-0. Seafoam contains 10 to 20% of this stuff. What is this stuff? Isopropyl alcohol. This is widely as a solvent and as a cleaning fluid, especially for dissolving oils.

Dissolving oils? Not what I think I'd want to use in my Porsche engine's oil.

I see nothing in Seafoam that offers any "additional" lubrication. It simply replaces the existing oil (hopefully an approved oil) with some pale oil and a couple of other items: camp stove fuel and a cleaning solvent.

Yuck.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:31 PM
ammonman
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Treat the engine with Swepco 502. If this doesn't clean and free the lifters they must be replaced. I've not found anything else that works to "un-stick" a stuck hydraulic lifter. Was originally recommended by Greg Brown of Precision Motorworks over on the 928 forum.

Mike
Old 05-24-2014, 09:50 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

In theory you can clean and test the lifters but it is a lot of work to take that risk.

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 05-25-2014 at 01:13 AM. Reason: inaccurate info
Old 05-24-2014, 11:51 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

The lifters in these engines have one oil inlet and no oil outlet. Because of this any bypass oil must exit around the piston, in the center of the lifter. Debris will NOT pass through the piston bypass.

Because of this oil flushes and special oils just do not work with these lifters. In fact, in our experiences most of the time the issues are compounded with flushes as debris throughout the engine is broken free and suspended in the oil, then fed to even more lifters, causing even more issues.

The lifters have not been updated, they are the same lifters found in Cayenne engines and many other BMW and Mercedes engines dating back to the early- mid 90s. The lifters themselves are not problematic and never give issues in other applications that use them. Why? Because the factory M96 oil filtration and bypass system allows too much debris to bypass the filter and end up suspended in the oil.

Though the part suffix may deviate, trust that the lifters weight the same, have the same internal characteristics and the same crown dimensions as those dating back to 1997.

Also, ensure that you do not have a failing cylinder/ piston before going further. Thus far this year we've seen two dozen misdiagnosed "lifter issues" that turned out to be a failing cylinder. They make EXACTLY the same noise and at the same rhythm as a noisy lifter and behave just like them. This is fooling shops and dealers all over the country. Here when we hear a "bad lifter" we first assume that a cylinder is failing and then quantify that it is not before moving on to performing lifter intervention. Sometimes it takes a day of poking around and diagnosing to conclusively determine exactly what the noise is.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:08 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Here is a link to the general way the lifters work.This company supplied the lifters for the 928.I do not know the supplier for the Boxster
http://jenniskens.livedsl.nl/Technic...0ivt_de_gb.pdf
Old 05-25-2014, 01:12 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

There is a post elsewhere that suggests the part number for the BMW equivalent(?) lifters is 11 32 1748 884.They seem to be about $5 cheaper/lifter.Perhaps others will confirm/correct the number?
Old 05-27-2014, 04:44 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

The lifter issue caused the valves to grind down the cam, so parts need replacing. This is an additional thousand dollars mostly for replacement parts. Thank you all for the great recommendations and Macster for breaking down the ingredients of Seafoam.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cvazquez

O'well happy motoring!
How much sea foam did you use? Sea foam is a BAD idea for the crank case. use a CAP FULL, run it for a little bit, and then do an oil change, if you're gonna use it at all. certainly do not add a whole can, do not leave it in for prolonged periods. I've seen engines destroyed that way.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

I have tons of core components for valve train repairs.

What killed the cam was the excessive lash that was created by the lifter failure. Common and typical.
If you need core components email jud@rabyenginedevelopment.com
Old 05-27-2014, 05:16 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I have tons of core components for valve train repairs.

What killed the cam was the excessive lash that was created by the lifter failure. Common and typical.
If you need core components email jud@rabyenginedevelopment.com
Will do.

Quick Reply: Lifter Issues