Sponsored by:

my boxster project

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:53 PM
djaemac
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my boxster project

I thought my boxster needed a change, so i decided to do a project consisting of:

Matte white vinyl wrap
Installation of coilovers
Rear Diffuser
desnorkel
New wheels and tires

im just waiting on some front and rear spacers(to clear the coilovers) then off for a fender roll and more lowering

heres a list of url's of my other project cars:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376442
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652853
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673373

Not much to say. Pretty straight forward.
pictures from my phone. Official photoshoot to come
Enjoy the pics and process
Attached Images                
Old 08-30-2012, 08:53 PM
djaemac
Intermediate

continued:
Attached Images    
Old 08-30-2012, 10:31 PM
mwood
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice wheels...but, it is going to be pretty much a handful to drive. The amount of lowering you're doing is going to drop the roll center, big time. With the ots (off the shelf or "as delivered") spring rates (which are about all those dampers can...sort of...handle), you're going to end up with body roll that will quickly get into the ugly part of an impaired camber curve. The answer would likely be much (much) higher wheel rates/stiffer springs, but those dampers won't be able to handle that, without revalving. And that's not even considering issues with bump steer...

If you want the car to be quicker and more fun, I'd consider bringing the ride height up a good amount. How much? I dunno, haven't done any measuring/modeling on my Boxster, yet
Old 08-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Golonaus
8th Gear

Nice wheels
But
What width tires/wheels set up r u using?
Tires r so stretched
It doesn't belong on a Boxster
I saw it with a civic crowd and some vw
Tires r not designed to work properly with this set up

On the vinyl
It will start to peel off if you going to leave your edges like that!!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:03 AM
djaemac
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mwood
Nice wheels...but, it is going to be pretty much a handful to drive. The amount of lowering you're doing is going to drop the roll center, big time. With the ots (off the shelf or "as delivered") spring rates (which are about all those dampers can...sort of...handle), you're going to end up with body roll that will quickly get into the ugly part of an impaired camber curve. The answer would likely be much (much) higher wheel rates/stiffer springs, but those dampers won't be able to handle that, without revalving. And that's not even considering issues with bump steer...

If you want the car to be quicker and more fun, I'd consider bringing the ride height up a good amount. How much? I dunno, haven't done any measuring/modeling on my Boxster, yet
this is more of a fun car to drive. No need for speed with this one. I have other cars for that. And im pretty much used to driving lowered cars my whole life. it'll be ok
Old 08-31-2012, 12:05 AM
djaemac
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Golonaus
Nice wheels
But
What width tires/wheels set up r u using?
Tires r so stretched
It doesn't belong on a Boxster
I saw it with a civic crowd and some vw
Tires r not designed to work properly with this set up

On the vinyl
It will start to peel off if you going to leave your edges like that!!!!

tires are stretched because it's going to sit flush with the fender once my rear spacers come in. It'll also be cambered in the rear and fender rolled as well. Maybe my style of wheel fitment is too aggressive for some.

as far as the vinyl, it'll be ok. i've never had any problems like that in the past 20 cars i've vinyled
Old 08-31-2012, 01:10 PM
papasmurf
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I have to agree with the guy on the vinyl. The way the edges are trimmed looks really poor. I do vehicle wraps for a living and would never let anything like that go out the door. I realize you did this on your own but I can almost guarantee you are going to have issues in the wheel arches and under the bumper if you have creases or stretched places especially because of all the heat around the muffler. I hope you used a good brand of vinyl too (3M, Oracal, or Avery). What did you do with the carrera sport rims? I like those!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:30 PM
mwood
Intermediate

I'd be more worried about tramlining into an immovable object than I would vinyl "unwrapping"...hEllafLush, yo
Old 08-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Directioneng
Intermediate

An 'interesting' project.

But 'if it ain't broke'......
Old 09-07-2012, 05:24 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I doubt most in this crowd will dig the Euro Stretch and stance look. To each his own. I have an old e30 I've considered playing around with but my race car is the main car project right now. I can imagine more of these Boxsters might find their way into that scene as the pricing has become more affordable. Just something different and that's cool. It's not really designed to be practical or ride great anyway, but it seems like a fun little car culture.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:05 PM
CVDH
Racer

I rather like where this is going...I come from Japanese cars so naturally this would be something I'm into. Not the direction I'd take with a Boxster, but that's why it appeals to me. Can't wait to see it even lower with rolled fenders.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:47 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

Not surprised to see this car get some odd looks here, but I like it. That style doesn't bother me, and it's not like the Boxster is exceedingly uncommon; there are plenty around to do this sort of thing to. I gotta agree on the wrap though. The matte white looks good, but even with no vinyl experience I would not leave the edges like that on my own car.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:07 PM
mwood
Intermediate

To each their own and, I agree, it isn't like there aren't thousands of beater Boxsters out there to mess up...

But, it just seems silly to take a car that is dynamically very good and turn it into, basically, an undriveable fashion statement...given I don't consider "driving" profiling at 35mph, bouncing off the bump stops and getting smoked on anything that requires steering input.

Look, if we were talking about slamming a '64 Impala, THAT I get...
Old 09-13-2012, 06:12 PM
CVDH
Racer

I friend "ruined" a perfectly good Miata in a similar fashion and traded it to me...I have never had more fun dailying a car in my life.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:05 AM
mwood
Intermediate

I'm not sure what to make of that comment, if your Miata was really set up similar to the Boxster depicted...first thought, honestly, is you don't know what you don't know. At least the Boxster owner acknowledges the car, dynamically, will be crap.

Quick Reply: my boxster project