Sponsored by:

Track alignment??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Klimo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track alignment??

My 986 suspension is bone stock. I would like to get a much more track orientated alignment on it though. As I understand the stock suspension limits how much tuning you can do. I have read that -.5 on the front is pretty maxed out. What are my options for dialing in a more aggresive alignment without having to do a ton of suspension work? Camber plates maybe? Thanks
Old 05-23-2011, 04:54 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had autocross alignment done on my 986S and installed the Tarret Eng front camber plates resulting in -2 degrees front and -1.5 degrees rear camber settings. The alignment shop checked for maximum camber prior to camber plate replacement which was -0.9 for each of the fronts. They also 0'd out the front toe settings and reduced rear toe angle. There is no adjustment for caster on the stock setup.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Klimo
Intermediate

I just had autocross alignment done on my 986S and installed the Tarret Eng front camber plates resulting in -2 degrees front and -1.5 degrees rear camber settings. The alignment shop checked for maximum camber prior to camber plate replacement which was -0.9 for each of the fronts. They also 0'd out the front toe settings and reduced rear toe angle. There is no adjustment for caster on the stock setup.
what were your driving impressions after the alignment? How much did the camber plates run you? Is your suspension stock except for the camber plates? Thanks.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:27 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

The camber plates with pricing are here:

http://www.tarett.com/items/boxster~...lta-detail.htm

And yes my suspension is otherwise still stock. It's hard to say what my driving impressions are after the alignment because the tires made the biggest difference, but on a 45 second autocross course last weekend I felt that my laps were at least 2 seconds faster than before tires + alignment. The character of the car when driving on city streets or freeway is basically unchanged in terms of comfort and noise which is nice because I was a little concerned about the new monoball strut bearings. This car absolutely rips around freeway on-ramps. I think the tires will wear more on the insides now but they were wearing badly on the outsides before from autocross and DE events so that should balance out.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Klimo
Intermediate

What kind of tires did you go to?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:48 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Dunlop Star Spec Z1 235/45-17 and 265/40-17
Old 05-26-2011, 02:19 PM
cretinx
Racer

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
Dunlop Star Spec Z1 235/45-17 and 265/40-17
these are what I run at the track

-0.6 camber front
-1.5 camber rear

fractional amount of toe in the rear - about 1/16th or so.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:11 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got -.8 front and set the rears at -1.8 In the end, no, its not a lot (or enough). Most Sticky tires (R comps etc) want in the -2.5-5.0 degree range. Also ran about 1/16 of toe out up front, toe in in rear.

You can swap out Lower Conrol arms with GT3 ones that help a lot. You could also do a PSS9/10 suspension kit that lowers the car and while doing so "adds" negative camber to the situation. Camber plates are another route.

Might consider checking what the "spec boxster" type classes allow. They would be relatively proven, moderately priced type mods.

Most times, when you are the type of person who wants/needs more negative camber, you are also the type of person who wants a much more sporting suspenion.. and therefore changing out of components goes hand in hand.

Didn't see how you plan on using the car, but be sure to check a rulebook if using in a competitive environment. No point changing 1 thing that makes the car uncompetitive.

Quick Reply: Track alignment??