Opinions on Porsche Bra

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:23 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Opinions on Porsche Bra

Guys,

Anyone on here with experience using the Porsche bra on their Boxster ? I am considering buying one from Suncoast and wonder if it beats up the paint like some I have seen. I am not talking about, nor am I interested in the clear bra application. I would appreciate hearing anyone who has used one's experience with it. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Plyman438
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by First986NJ
Guys,

Anyone on here with experience using the Porsche bra on their Boxster ? I am considering buying one from Suncoast and wonder if it beats up the paint like some I have seen. I am not talking about, nor am I interested in the clear bra application. I would appreciate hearing anyone who has used one's experience with it. Thanks in advance guys.
r

I was just talking with a member of my local PCA chapter who just bought a new Boxster Spyder and chose the clear bra over the regular Porsche bra because he was told road dirt gets caught up under regular bra and scratches the paint surface, and especially noticeable on black painst such as his. I have a red Boxster and will go with clear bra if I do go to bra to protect the front hood.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:17 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There were TWO types of bras available once, with one providing much more protection to the fenders iirc.

Some of the drawbacks to the traditional bra is 1) moisture and 2) dirt. When either or both get stuck underneath they can damage the paint surfaces. Also, say its raining and then becomes sunny? get the bra off quickly to prevent paint fading as well as moisture traps under the material.

I have not used a bra on my boxster (and its water soluable "safer" paints).. but have used the older style ones on two different 914s over the years.

The development of the clearbra solutions have seemingly killed the old style bras.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:37 AM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since someone is selling theirs, that should give you a clue. My first Boxster came with one so I used it for a while, what a pain and as all the others mentioned. moisture dirt etc does not help your paint. I don't know what your problem is with clear bras but if you feel the need to have a bra on your car that would be the best solution just find someone with a good reputation to install one.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:39 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one. It's not that hard to take off and put on- 5 min or less.

As long as the underside felt and the paint is clean it doesn't scratch on my black paint. Mine had stayed on at some very naughty speeds too-no flapping around.

The only caution I have is, you cannot leave it on wet in the sun, or you will risk clouding- the clear coat. That doesn't apply to my use, but may effect you.

IMO it may be better that the clear bra as it seems impervious to the permanent blemishes that plague my clear bra experience. You could also buy about 4 for the price of one clear job.

BD

Quick Reply: Opinions on Porsche Bra