Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: Brey-Krause Roll Bar Extension (Advice also welcome!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB: Brey-Krause Roll Bar Extension (Advice also welcome!)

I've decided to try sticking my toe in the deep end and sign up for my first DE this year with my local PCA. Unfortunately, I don't have a Brey-Krause roll bar extension for my 986 S. I know not all DE events require an extension, but safety is not something I'm willing to gamble on. Plus I'm tall enough to be even with the stock roll hoops without a helmet.

As it sits now, I'm looking at a decent chunk of change to just "try out" this hobby. So, I'd like to try and save a bit by finding a used Brey-Krause bar if possible. Especially considering I'll also be needing: Helmet, tech inspection, DE entrance fee, and track day insurance.

Thanks!

Last edited by Phi1720; 03-08-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:41 PM
fuhrius
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 36 Posts

pm'd you about one that I'll sell.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:27 PM
racer
Drifting

Careful.. it becomes a slippery slope once you get hooked!

Search everywhere.. the boards, local PCA newsletters etc.

Check with the club you are running with.. Some PCA regions do offer "loaner" helmets. (although I'd consider buying a "head sock" if you go the rental route.

DE insurance can be bought through PCA's program, based on car stated car value.. so maybe $100 for an event? (just a guess).

Many regions hold a "tech inspection" for their events and they are free. Others that don't have organized pre event techs would encourage you to visit club vendors/shops as some may do it for free, others for a small charge. You WILL WANT fresh brake fluid. Even if not high temp fluid, if you don't know how old yours is, change it. You will want at least 50% of brake pad material remaining too. "Street" pads wear more quickly than track pads, but since it sounds like you are new to this, you should be ok with street pads.

Oh, and check the ego at the door. Enjoy yourself.. LISTEN to your instructor and have fun!

BTW, installing the BK bar requires removal of the existing roll bar trim. That trim is held on by cheap plastic clips. Sometimes those clips break
Old 03-08-2011, 07:06 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a BK bar used when I was looking for one at $400. I then moved up to a full roll cage and sold it for the same price. They pop up every once in awhile. Good luck on your search!

I'm actually in the process of getting some of these produced as an alternative to the BK bar. They will be chromoly material, tig welded, and sold raw for $495. The powdercoat in color of choice would be optional. I think there would be a pretty good market for something a little less spendy than the BK.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the good info Racer. Luckily, my car has already had a BK bar installed by a previous owner but did not have it when I purchased so I've popped the padded factory hoop leather bits off already with spare clips to reinstall if I so choose.

Brakes are in good shape and its time for new brake fluid regardless of track time so I'm hoping to get that sorted out in the next few weekends. Although I've got PSM & have read varying stances on brake fluid change without the Bosch PST2. Transmission oil change tomorrow night.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:32 PM
frequencydip
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by eric523
I'm actually in the process of getting some of these produced as an alternative to the BK bar. They will be chromoly material, tig welded, and sold raw for $495. The powdercoat in color of choice would be optional. I think there would be a pretty good market for something a little less spendy than the BK.
I'm looking for a lower cost option now, have you made any progress on creating a lower cost bar?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:40 PM
fuhrius
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 36 Posts
Default how about a used BK bar?

I've got a nice used one for sale.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

If anyone else is looking, I did get pictures of Fuhrius' bar for sale and will say it is in very nice shape & good price. I didn't purchase because my financial situation has changed this month and can't afford all the other DE peripherals this season ie. helmet, DE fees, brakes, tires, the list goes on. Still a good deal for anyone else currently looking!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:12 PM
racingredsc
Intermediate

I have a Brey-Krause 3010 like new for sale. Fits '97-'04 Boxter... 400.00 shipped
Old 07-23-2012, 11:15 PM
42empress
Racer

bump for a used bar. I am still looking...

Quick Reply: WTB: Brey-Krause Roll Bar Extension (Advice also welcome!)