Sponsored by:

Plastic Window Conundrum on an '01 . . . Detroit area

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:44 PM
TCN
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic Window Conundrum on an '01 . . . Detroit area

I have an opaque rear window that also has a cut, so it needs to be replaced. Here's the thing, around here, the only shop that I've found that gives me any confidence wants $700 for the window replacement. The same shop charges $1300 for an all new GAHH top (not sure if that includes the headliner).

The top on my 01 is in very good condition, especially for an 01; no cuts or discolorations, just a few minor fold marks.

I'm not crazy about removing an OEM top in good condition, but the cost difference is small enough that it makes you think . . .

Opinions welcome and appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

There is a shop in Signal Hill CA near Long Beach that has done several of these on Boxsters for $350. They may be able to do this with the top in place which could explain the big cost difference. Or maybe the Boxster is considered an exotic in Detroit & not in CA.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:33 PM
TCN
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a good shop that does it with the top in place for $625 . . . maybe that's the way to go.

I continuously find myself saying "if I was in California or Florida, this would be a lot cheaper" with this car. I've looked into about 10 different auto trim shops, and if I needed the interior of a '78 Vette redone, I'd be in good hands, but alas . . .
Old 07-23-2012, 05:47 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I am having a new window sewn in my '00 S today....

They left the frame structure in place on the vehicle. The fabric is layed out on their table and I could see the underside of the canvas and the headliner.

Here is a link to my pictures. My flash has not been working well lately, so the interior pics are grainy.

I am paying $375.

http://www.tinysites.com/SitesPublic...tos/Splash.htm

Tony
Old 07-24-2012, 02:40 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

This all depends on the equipment the shop has to do the job. One price may be low because the shop has a sewing machine with "jaws" big enough that they can leave the frame attached and just rotate the entire top until the new window edge is sewn in. Where another may not have such a machine and will have no choice but to take the top apart from the frame. Sounds like in Detroit you are running into the latter.

A suggestion I've heard is to browse around boat dealers and ask them where they get the windows redone for the big canvas panels they have on their yachts. Some of them are the size of the Boxster top and you may be able to locate someone with a big "jaws" capability that way.

A picture of the type of sewing machine I'm talking about is in this article by Maurice.

Quick Reply: Plastic Window Conundrum on an '01 . . . Detroit area