Sponsored by:

Boxster depreciation...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 05:08 PM
action fab
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster depreciation...

I have been in the market for a sub $12K dollar 2000+ 986, and they are out there. But very, very few are 03+ and there are no 03+ S's. I am not really limited to that $12K mark, I just refuse to pay more than that for a novelty car. I have always tried to buy at the bottom of a cars value scale. So in this instance with inflasion on the rise and the cars at almost 10 years old, they are about at the bottom of that scale. I doubt any 986's will ever see anything below $8000 if they are in good condition with reasonable miles. So my real question is this... Do I buy a 00-02 Boxster S now... or do a wait a few years for an 03+ Boxster S that will be worth more furnther down the line?

This isn't really an investment. I know that because of inflation even as the car becomes worth more money it's still a wash. But is it really a possibility to not loose money on a P-car? I have seen it done on such cars as the 993's where a few years ago they could be had in the teens. Now they are on a pretty steep rise in value, as are the 928's. Do you see this as a future for the 986-87? Or will it be a flop like the 914?

I would love to be a Porsche owner but I don't want it to be a total waist of money like some of the other hobbies I am into now. I am sick of motorsports draining me financialy. I know it's easly done but there must be a smart entry point at which it is a break even venture.

What is your thought on this subject...
Old 07-17-2010, 06:07 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm pretty much doing the same as you, and looking for the best entry point for what I am considering as a tunk-kry "kit car". I am hoping to find a low cost 986 S, do some suspension tweeks, put in a limited slip, eventually upgrade engine, and have a very quick street / auto-x car.

I know Excellence says you cand find a 986 S at $ 12K, but I don't believe it - I am thinking minimum $ 17 K right now for a 01-02 model. I don't want anything earlier than that due to problems with getting the DME to work if you upgrade the motor.

I am guessing that at current prices these cars are going to start falling into the wrong hands of "posers" who just want to have a P-car, and there will be lots of dead engine rollers available in another 3 years or so. Don't think I want to wait that long though...
Old 07-17-2010, 09:17 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't doubt you could get an 01 or 02 S at 12K... I heartily believe mine with 70K is only worth that but it is not a concours car... just a fun to drive, mechanically sound car.

If you want a 03+ right now I think you are still looking at a base car.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by action fab
I have been in the market for a sub $12K dollar 2000+ 986, and they are out there. But very, very few are 03+ and there are no 03+ S's. I am not really limited to that $12K mark, I just refuse to pay more than that for a novelty car. I have always tried to buy at the bottom of a cars value scale. So in this instance with inflasion on the rise and the cars at almost 10 years old, they are about at the bottom of that scale. I doubt any 986's will ever see anything below $8000 if they are in good condition with reasonable miles. So my real question is this... Do I buy a 00-02 Boxster S now... or do a wait a few years for an 03+ Boxster S that will be worth more furnther down the line?

This isn't really an investment. I know that because of inflation even as the car becomes worth more money it's still a wash. But is it really a possibility to not loose money on a P-car? I have seen it done on such cars as the 993's where a few years ago they could be had in the teens. Now they are on a pretty steep rise in value, as are the 928's. Do you see this as a future for the 986-87? Or will it be a flop like the 914?

I would love to be a Porsche owner but I don't want it to be a total waist of money like some of the other hobbies I am into now. I am sick of motorsports draining me financialy. I know it's easly done but there must be a smart entry point at which it is a break even venture.

What is your thought on this subject...
If you find a good example and get it for market price and have some luck you can drive the car for a few years and if you keep the miles reasonable you can then turn around and probably (no guarantees of course) sell the car for near what you paid for it. All you are out are consumables and tax, license, insurance, which you would have to pay regardless of which car you bought.

There will be some depreciation but it will be about as low as it can be. It will almost certainly not be zero though.

The risk is if the car develops a serious problem that to fix represents a considerable fraction of what the car's worth, maybe even as much or possibly more than what the car's worth.

Or the car is involved in an accident and because of the extent of the damage, the car's age, miles, it is declared a total loss.

If you start the upgrading game then most likely what you put into the car you won't get out of the car. There are too many mod'd cars and too many unmod'd cars to chose from for your car to have a reasonable chance of selling for what you put into it.

IOWs, if you are sick of motorsports draining you financially avoid mod'ing the car. Buy a good example -- unmodified -- and leave it unmodified.

An 03 is attractive cause it has -- among other things -- a glass rear window. Buying one now, even if you have to go over $12K (to use your number and I don't have any good idea of what the 2000 to 2003 or 2004 used Boxster market is right now), has you in a very nice car, now. You can wait a few years but of course the 03's will be a couple of years older and will have accumulated more miles and there'll be fewer of them to chose from.

Just depends upon what you want to do. Buy now. Enjoy now and for the next couple of years. Or wait. Then buy and enjoy.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:24 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd like to know where the 993s were in the teens a few years ago................

Best of luck on trying to find what you want; unfortunately the market works pretty efficiently, and I think you're looking to luck into something. Not impossible, and I've certainly done it over the years with various 911s.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:40 AM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can tell you that my advertised 15,750 elsewhere 02-2 with 60k hasn't gotten any bites. It is very reasonable but i think there aren't many people looking to buy but there are a lot who don't want to sell for so little unless they are desperate to sell for cash.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:09 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Life is short - you definately want the S as I found out after owning a base model for 6 months and prompltly ponied up the money for a use S - so quit your wyning and remember you can't take it with you get an S now, If you look around you can make a good deal on a 03 or 04 S but not mine

luck
Old 07-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Pat
Advanced

FWIW, I bought a near-immaculate '01 S three months ago for $15,000. Full leather, hard top, full audio, cold weather package, new RE050As, etc. One owner, full service history for selling dealer and 80,000 miles. They're out there.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:08 PM
action fab
AutoX

Yes I know they are out there and I have one that I was ready to buy. It's a 01 S with 88K miles for $11.5K. But I got to thinking, if I can wait just a little longer could I pick up an 03+ S for the same money? At what point would the 05+ S be at this price? I don't have to buy right now so is it worth waiting for a better model? And how long would I need to wait to get that better model at this price?
Old 07-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

I would love to be a Porsche owner but I don't want it to be a total waist of money like some of the other hobbies I am into now.
For an enthusiast like me, it's an emotional purchase in much the same sense has having a hot girlfriend or wife (not that you'd purchase the woman...ok well maybe you would) LOL. You don't think about these emotional things in logical terms. My car has taken a bath in depreciation, but I don't care. It gives me such a thrill every time I get behind the wheel. If you've never owned a P-car, or driven one, I think a test drive will ease your worry about depreciation. Welcome to R-list. I've owned 6 Pcars over the years, and my 02 Boxster S has given me more smiles/mile than any of them so far.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:42 PM
action fab
AutoX

Yes I have driven one. And I do love it... but it was an 03 2.7.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:29 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

.....But I got to thinking, if I can wait just a little longer could I pick up an 03+ S for the same money? At what point would the 05+ S be at this price? I don't have to buy right now so is it worth waiting for a better model? And how long would I need to wait to get that better model at this price?
At one point you have to jump into the pool. There is always another hot car/girl/business if you wait around, but in the meanwhile you are enjoying what you desire.

Glass window is nice, so is new headlights, then so is the larger engine... It never ends.

You will be happier after you jump and start driving your Boxster
Old 07-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBat
At one point you have to jump into the pool. There is always another hot car/girl/business if you wait around, but in the meanwhile you are enjoying what you desire.

Glass window is nice, so is new headlights, then so is the larger engine... It never ends.

You will be happier after you jump and start driving your Boxster
+ 1
Old 07-21-2010, 03:26 AM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I anticipate Boxster prices rising next summer with the economy improving & all the recent knowledge surfacing about boxster repairs & engine rebuilding & transplanting. I believe now til Feb. 2011 is the best time ever to buy a Boxster.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:50 PM
THXBABE
Instructor

Action Fab

You are sawing saw dust by thinking WAY too hard about this. It is a car, it will never be worth in the future what you spent on it today. Accept that fact and jump in the pool. So what if it costs $1500 more than you expected? If you own the car for 3 years, that extra is .5 gallons of gas a day (or less).

Buy the car not the price point.

Now go have some fun instead of sitting around thinking about it.

Quick Reply: Boxster depreciation...