Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

track day brake pads for '01 base boxster?

Old 06-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Klimo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default track day brake pads for '01 base boxster?

I have a 2001 base boxster that I am taking to a few track days this summer. At Autobahn in Peoria IL full track. So I am in need of a brake pad upgrade. I keep hearing that Pagids are what most of the porsche guys are running. They are pretty expensive. Raybestos is another name that was recommended to me. Any help and insight as to which brand and exactly what pad I should be using. Probably not necessary for a full on race pad, but something in the middle between the sport and full race. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Most manufacturers offer a range of pads running from a street-sport type to full race. If you are going to be switching out the pads between events, go for a "race" set. In addition to the brands you mentioned, Hawk and Performance Friction (PFC) should be considered. I ran Hawk HT-10 in a base Cayman and was satisfied, now running PFC 06 (similar to Pagid yellow) in a Cayman S. PFC 97 have a large following.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:02 PM
racer
Drifting

I ran PFC 97s on my Boxster along with some Super Blue ATE brake fluid. Worked great.

I think if you investigate, there are only a handful of pad makers out there.. and some are sold through several brand names. Even moreso for performance, vs oem, pads.

Brakes (pads, fluid) are the one thing I might complain about the price, but its something you really don't want to cheap out on either. you don't want to be braking from 120mph down to 40 and think.. hmm I wonder if my pads are still there
Old 06-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used Carbotech pads with much success in a few different cars. With street tires, they recommend their XP8 pad for the 911. Since you are mid-engined, they may recommend a different pad for the front vs. rear.

The XP8s work for me at Mid-Ohio and I can still use them on the street without too much noise at all. About $380 for all 4 corners.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:52 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm running Hawk HPS front pads on my 01 S, along with ATE super blue hi-temp fluid. It is working out fine for track and street. Pads are holding up really well. Two track days and they are still really thick/like new.

I will say that the brakes don't bite as quick on the street/require more pedal pressure, when the pads are cold, but no big deal or anything.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had good experience with Pagid Blacks and poor experience with Pagid Orange (bad pad transfer on my rotors)

I've also heard good things about PFC pads but I have not tried them yet.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:31 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the hawk HPS aren't aggressive enough for me; they overheat.

i use hawk HT-10 up front and mintex race pads in back; this gives me a great bias and a nice, firm pedal. FYI, i run 996 brakes on a '99 986.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:37 PM
fuhrius
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 36 Posts
Default PFC has some great stuff

I'm running PFC 97 pads on my 01 s...I believe they make the same pad for the base boxsters as well. they've proven to be a very good dual purpose pad...great at the track and livable on the street...a little squealing but not too bad, excellent performance on the street.

I put them on with new oem rear rotors and PFC's floating / 2-piece rotors in the front...did stainless lines, SRF, and the GT3 brake ducts up front. I've got close a half dozen track days on the setup so far and am very impressed. I ran a session at the end of the last track day that lasted 60 minutes (at Laguna Seca) and even after an hour still didn't have an ounce of fade or any deviation from the performance on lap 1. I've only run this car with this setup and the stock setup (which wasn't bad at all)...so can't compare to the other aftermarket stuff...just really like the PFC setup.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:49 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Hi,

I'm having great success with Pagid S-line / "sport" pads (they're painted blue, but apparently not the same thing as RS-4-2 blue). Only downside is that they started squeaking (a lot) after 1st good track session and it's been like that ever since. But on the positive side they stop good, resist fade pretty well and also don't seem to wear out too fast. So I'm happy.

GT3 brake ducts are also a very cheap thing to add. The stock ones are not much smaller but every little bit helps, right?

Cheers, Sami

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: track day brake pads for '01 base boxster?