Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAM! Storm comes out of nowhere...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:39 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Default BAM! Storm comes out of nowhere...

Yesterday was a beautiful day when I left work, but I checked the weather radar as I always do, just to make doubly sure... and it was clear, absolutely clear. Yet 20 minutes later, driving down the highway, BAM, sky just opens up and lets loose with a torrential downpour. Wasn't bad at first; I was moving about 70mph and it was going right over my head... until traffic all slammed on the brakes just to spite me- too slow for the windshield to keep me dry, but too fast to raise the roof. ARRGHH! WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS?? Ended up rolling 20mph down the shoulder while I put the top up. Traffic was only doing 40 so I was able to pull back in line just 3 cars back from where I pulled over, but still, was frustrating.

I checked the radar again when I got back- it's the damndest thing- not just a squall out of nowhere but a red dot (strong storm) just suddenly appeared out of nowhere right over me (in Norfolk, slightly below the "m" in Richmond) and then disappeared right after drenching me. ARRGHH!

Old 06-24-2010, 03:40 PM
THXBABE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aaaahhhhh, life on the coast.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Once in a great while would run into these storms. I don't know the meterological term (I could ask the meterologist here at the office) but I call them cloud bursts.

Normal rain storm, T-storm, with average to maybe heavier than average rain but nothing to hint at what's to come.

Driving along and if there is traffic uphead I can see the brake lights coming on quite suddenly and as I drive on under caution run into the reason: A wall of rain fall that even with the wipers on high speed one can barely see well enough. I sometimes and I'm not alone have to pull over and stop.

What is worse is occasionally one encounters hail in these things and then the bigger risk is drivers just blasting helter-skelter seeking any kind of shelter for their cars. Traffic laws appear to be under temporary suspension as stop signs are run, stop lights are run, cars head the wrong way in driveways -- seeking covered parking garages, etc.

I've gone from driving on perfectly dry pavement to driving in several inches of standing water in just a few miles with railroad undercrossings flooded almost too deep to traverse when I encounter one of these things.

Or if out out town in more rural terrain I've seen streams suddenly appear in between the dips of the rolling grassy hills or fields of crops from the sudden onslaught of water.

Wasn't driving -- had rental car but it was parked -- but years ago in West Palm Beach FL at Doubletree Hotel next to airport and one of these cloud bursts moved over the area and it rained 4 inches in 15 minutes. Thankfully it didn't last longer than 15 minutes or so but while it lasted, hardest rain I've ever seen or been in.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: BAM! Storm comes out of nowhere...