Opinions on Boxster as wifely car

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:34 AM
mikey175
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Boxster as wifely car

Hi all,

My wife is shopping for a car to replace her cushy Lexus GX470 SUV. On her list is the Boxster (we'd buy CPO), BMW 128 (prob new) and Miata (prob new). Looking for owner experiences on the following:

-Boxster vs. Boxster S: she is not a power hound, so I'm inclined to stay with the base model. Mistake?

-Stick vs. Tip: she has become used to driving an automatic for her last two cars. But she does know how to drive a stick and enjoyed it. She rarely drives in traffic and will not put much mileage on the car. I'm inclined to encourage her to go with the stick, given my experience driving a Cayman for a few days; buttery smooth transmission and stick.

-Dependability: I am on my second 911 and have been impressed with the reliability of my cars. Not the non-warranty service bills, but I have accepted this. Can we expect the same with the Boxster?

-Landmines: anything we should be looking out for?

Thanks, in advance, to all those owners who are able to take the time to share their experiences.

Mikey
Old 06-24-2009, 10:57 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Have had mine since new in 02 and have had the normal RMS (2x) both under warranty. The car was rock solid as a road car and pre kids we would take weekend trips with tons of room in both truunks. Very smooth and fairly easy to go fast without knowing it. The car has been gutted and converted to race-car and still remains increadibly reliable.

Consumables are tires, and in 02 or before plastic rear window. I suspect you are looking at newer which will give you glass. Really enjoyed the car despite the frequent ridicule by some of my mates. Factory radio is crap so plan on changing to aftermarket if that is an issue for you.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:29 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife loves the Boxster and takes it whenever possible. It is mild mannered enough for daily driving but is more than capable when I want to push it a bit. I really do love the car.There is another lady in my office building that recently leased a new base model with Tip, coming from an E350 Benz. I have talked to her a couple times and she really seems to enjoy it.

If you can find a S for a reasonable amount I would buy it. Nothing wrong with the base model but the extra power is nice, and the brakes are very potent. Not to mention when you want to sell the S will have a bit better resale. However coming from a Lexus the S suspension might seem a little stiff. It is not harsh but is certainly not soft.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:15 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Let her do the test driving
and test several. Be darn sure she likes driving that kind of car (my wife doesn't). Nothing wrong with a TIP. Oh the purists will stick their noses up but any TIP later than '00 is a joy. I've owned 2, seldom see any comments about problems with them. I had a base, now have an S. No big difference...in fact I think I had more fun in the base because I could drive it harder before I got into trouble.

I bought a TIP when I lived in a very congested area..and I drove stick for 25 years before that with multiple Alfas and a 914 in the mix. When I totaled my first Boxster with TIP, I didn't hesitate to replace it with another TIP.

But for relaxed driving around a small town, I now prefer the TIP.

Very practical, I even take the trash to the dump in it.

More thoughts here
Old 06-24-2009, 03:46 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Originally Posted by mikey175
Hi all,

My wife is shopping for a car to replace her cushy Lexus GX470 SUV. On her list is the Boxster (we'd buy CPO), BMW 128 (prob new) and Miata (prob new). Looking for owner experiences on the following:

-Boxster vs. Boxster S: she is not a power hound, so I'm inclined to stay with the base model. Mistake?

-Stick vs. Tip: she has become used to driving an automatic for her last two cars. But she does know how to drive a stick and enjoyed it. She rarely drives in traffic and will not put much mileage on the car. I'm inclined to encourage her to go with the stick, given my experience driving a Cayman for a few days; buttery smooth transmission and stick.

-Dependability: I am on my second 911 and have been impressed with the reliability of my cars. Not the non-warranty service bills, but I have accepted this. Can we expect the same with the Boxster?

Thanks, in advance, to all those owners who are able to take the time to share their experiences.

Mikey
Here's what my wife said:

1) Boxster over the Beemer and the Miata.....no question in her mind.
2) Base is fine (but in fairness, her frame of reference is a base with headers, EVO intake, Fabspeed muffler, and ROW M030 suspension)
3) Stick for sure.....

As too reliability, all I can add is that so far, my '03 has been very dependable and trouble free.

Landmines....I guess the possibility of the IMS issue, but no more so than any other late model Porsche engine.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:47 PM
00r101
Racer

I'd look at the new BMW Z4. Very stylish and "wifely". Retractable hardtop is very nice. A little more cushy ride than the Box.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:43 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

If you are opening the field hands down an MB-SL, in my wifes words the perfect number of seats, 2: one for me (wife) and one for our beloved dog. Plus plenty of room for her tennis gear.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

I love the SL... wifey and I have discussed it before. But it comes down to only one 2 seater in the family... and I don't know that I would give up the 986S that easily. For us, the BMW is not an option out of personal preference.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Ray H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikey175
Hi all,

Ours is not a daily driver and has low miles (2000 w/24K), so may not be the best to gauge. Coolant tank had to be replace due to leak (a common problem) back in 2004. Recently three year old battery went completely dead, a real pain to get the front trunk open to get at battery. Driver side window motor died and had to be replaced just the other day (cannot close door completely when the top is up due to the window hitting the top sill).

-Nah, base has more than enough power for street use.

-If she's not going to be in much heavy traffic, stick is fine if she enjoys driving one.

-Ours is not a daily driver and has low miles (2000 w/24K), so may not be the best to gauge. Coolant tank had to be replace due to leak (a common problem) back in 2004. Recently three year old battery went completely dead, a real pain to get the front trunk open to get at battery. Driver side window motor died and had to be replaced just the other day (cannot close door completely when the top is up due to the window hitting the top sill).

-IMS failure.
RMS could be considered one.

Good luck with the choices and the search.

Ray
Old 06-24-2009, 09:53 PM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like my 02s. I have been driving an es300 for a few years as my dd. I do enjoy the cushy ride of my dd compared to the S. I do love driving the S and don't know how many p-cars we will be adding to the stable.

On days i work, I find myself wanting to take the es300 b/c of the nice ride and comfort compared to the somewhat stiff ride of the s.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:13 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

My wife loves her 02 Boxster S. She insist on the Tip over manual.She no longer work but uses it daily when she does her errands.

I must say she gets way too much attention when driving the car or even when she just parked.......
Old 06-25-2009, 02:06 PM
mikey175
Racer

To all,

This was exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for...thank you!

Schwank/Ray/Dallison...thanks for taking the time and for the details.

Verbotn: no MB, SL or not, for my bride. She's got this thing against that brand. Can't say I feel any differently, at least with how it's perceived here in the States.

Mike: I agree, she is the decision maker. Just like she was when she bought the GX rather than a Cayenne. We're going to do some test driving this weekend. I am curious to see if she is an auto convert, never to return. My big question is the seats. When I had my 996, she always claimed the seats were not designed for women, at least a small one. I can see her point given length of seat bottoms and non adjustable head rest.

First: sounds like you've got a cool wife. If I brought up the subject of headers, I'm fairly sure she'd misunderstand.

00: no Z4 for her, not into it. No idea why, it's def an improvement over the last version.

Cas: The thought had occurred to me too...what am I creating here? I have successfully hidden her away in a big box and now she will get some serious attention. She probably won't like that at all, right?

I know about RMS. What's IMS? How prevalent is this in the 987, could it have been fixed in a TSB? If not, how expensive a fix isit? Thanks again!

Mikey
Old 06-26-2009, 03:53 PM
First986NJ
Racer

IMS = the dreaded InterMediate Shaft Failure. Hard to say how common as we only hear about the bad ones. The guys that know aren't sayin'.

The IMS failure isn’t limited to the Boxsters, Caymans, 996s and 997’s all share the same basic “M96″ water cooled engine, so the prospect isn't any worse than with those cars. (if I'm mistaken someone correct me here...)

They say, cars that are babied more suseptable than those that are driven.

Frequent oil changes (5k intervals - minimum); Use of high quality, non-M1, synthetic oil; and not lugging the engine around town are all said to lower the potential for IMS problems I'm told by reputable sources.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:50 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um.. Boxster = Chickster.. so, now the only issues are TIP vs manual and S vs Non S. If you can afford it, an S is worth the money. That said, the base car (987) is nearly as powerful as the original 986S so the base is no slouch. TIP vs Manual? I've driven both.. I've liked both. Comes down to personal preference and driving style.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:29 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

the only thing I would ad is that if she likes to talk on her cell while driving a tip would be easier...

Quick Reply: Opinions on Boxster as wifely car