Opinions on Boxster as wifely car

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 02:01 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey175
Hi all,

My wife is shopping for a car to replace her cushy Lexus GX470 SUV. On her list is the Boxster (we'd buy CPO), BMW 128 (prob new) and Miata (prob new). Looking for owner experiences on the following:

-Boxster vs. Boxster S: she is not a power hound, so I'm inclined to stay with the base model. Mistake?

-Stick vs. Tip: she has become used to driving an automatic for her last two cars. But she does know how to drive a stick and enjoyed it. She rarely drives in traffic and will not put much mileage on the car. I'm inclined to encourage her to go with the stick, given my experience driving a Cayman for a few days; buttery smooth transmission and stick.

-Dependability: I am on my second 911 and have been impressed with the reliability of my cars. Not the non-warranty service bills, but I have accepted this. Can we expect the same with the Boxster?

-Landmines: anything we should be looking out for?

Thanks, in advance, to all those owners who are able to take the time to share their experiences.

Mikey
I wouldn't totally rule out a new Miata for her since you list that as a choice. The power rectractible hardtop version is nice and they are quite a bit more softly sprung than the Boxster and BMW 1-series that you mention. Since she is coming from a Lexus that might be important. They also rarely break and if they do are a cheap fix.

On the Boxster side I would lean toward a regular, not an S version and the 987 vs. the 986 based on what you describe. I think she'll find the seats/interior of the 987 more suited to her and the 987 non S cars have similar power to the 986 S cars.

I'd be surprised if she didn't like both the Boxster and the Miata better than the 1-series BMW, but you never know.

You'll have to let us know how the test drives went.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:03 PM
mikey175
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update...

We did a fair amount of shopping on Saturday and, as usual, it did not turn out anything like I expected.

She left the Mazda dealership in a gorgeous blue/tan Miata. I was completely prepared to buy it on the spot (though it's been many years since we bought a car new). She said it was fun but too stressful. Though the Miata shifter is really fun and smooth, apparently she is done with sticks. And coming from a big SUV, that little cabin felt claustrophobic. Especially since this would be her DD.

Then, we hit the BMW dealership. She immediately loved the 128 convertible (auto only). To me, the design looks strange, very chunky. But she thinks the car looks like a big smile. OK, a smile. She also loved the way it drove, felt immediately comfortable behind the wheel; and liked that it had a relatively high roof when closed, and a back seat for extra room or passengers when needed. To me, I did feel like it handled well, like a typical BMW. But those doors sounded very cheap. Makes me wonder what they will sound like in 5 years. With options, that car stickers at $40-45K which is nuts. But it does seem like there is enough supply out there to get one in the $30-35K range with low miles and that includes the 135.

At the Lexus dealer, we saw the new I250 and a used SC430. We agreed the 250 was poorly designed though the seats looked great. Such a high beltline too, and very odd looking from the rear. No sale. The SC 430 was no fun to drive.

Finally, we went to the Porsche dealership. She drove a base 987 w/tip. Made her nervous. Too much power, and same space issues as with Miata. No sale. Hubby bummed.

The only car I'd like her to look at is the new G37 convertible but I suspect she is locked on the 1 series.

So, thanks to all for your comments. They were helpful in sorting through all of this. Best to you!

M
Old 06-29-2009, 03:33 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Not trying to throw a wrench and no affiliation but the Audi softtop I think has understated elegance.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:55 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

It does surprise me that she liked the BMW. However, thinking about it, I thought she would like the Miata and Boxster and not like the BMW. Therefore, if she liked the BMW it sort of makes sense she wouldn't like the other two.

Oh well, its not like the BMW is bad car.....its a really good one. I'm sure she will enjoy it.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:52 PM
mikey175
Racer

Originally Posted by VERBOTN125
Not trying to throw a wrench and no affiliation but the Audi softtop I think has understated elegance.
Verbotn: Funny you mention this, she brought this up yesterday after talking with my Porsche salesman. She's always been anti-Audi, but probably worth a look. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by VERBOTN125
Have had mine since new in 02 and have had the normal RMS (2x) both under warranty. The car was rock solid as a road car and pre kids we would take weekend trips with tons of room in both truunks. Very smooth and fairly easy to go fast without knowing it. The car has been gutted and converted to race-car and still remains increadibly reliable.

Consumables are tires, and in 02 or before plastic rear window. I suspect you are looking at newer which will give you glass. Really enjoyed the car despite the frequent ridicule by some of my mates. Factory radio is crap so plan on changing to aftermarket if that is an issue for you.

I've got to chime in and say that my 02 Boxster S is right up there with all the other P-cars I've owned over the years including a 996 TT and a 996 GT3. Not sure why any man points would be lost driving this car. These are guys that couldn't keep up with you on a road course Christian if you gave them a Bugatti Veyron and a 1/2 mile head start! LOL The Boxster is a performance beast in it's own right and I'm saying that after having done Sebring about 20 times in a 6-GT3! I'm loving it even more with those GT3 seats you sold me. Can't wait for my first DE with these seats-maybe it'll be Roebling in October.

So to the OP, if your wife has even the slightest amount of enthusiasm for driving, she'll love the Boxster. Her challenge will be keeping the keys away from you!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey175
Verbotn: Funny you mention this, she brought this up yesterday after talking with my Porsche salesman. She's always been anti-Audi, but probably worth a look. Thanks!

Make a stop at the VW dealership while you're at it. A Golf GTI may interest her. I love VW's. I'm on my 4th one as a daily driver which is the 09 Jetta TDI I just bought over the weekend since my R32 was sucking up too much fuel and I already had the fun car in the Boxster.

She may like the EOS cab also. I'm really impressed with the build quality of VW. They feel like a BMW or Mercedes in terms of the solid rugged feel. The main downside is dealing with the typical VW dealership. It's not quite the same as going to the Porsche dealer
Old 06-29-2009, 11:24 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EOS might be OK...but we bought a Rabbit for a city/daily car to complement the POrsches after my A6 Avant got totalled. It is passable but the Audi spoiled us, and I doubt the VW will have a long life in our household... kinda sad even though it has barely 10k on it now. VW interiors are just not as nice.

However my wife loves the 986S and loves manual trans... though she did not mind the tiptronic in traffic.

Interesting opinions and to see what the OP's wife liked. We considered, briefly, a 335ci, but.... glad we got the Boxster for 1/3 the price.

Maybe you could find a B6 S4 cab on the used market
Old 06-30-2009, 07:59 PM
mikey175
Racer

Thanks again to all. Interesting ideas, Mark, on the VW. She is going with the 128 Cab. I've got my concerns, but she is excited and happy. And...thank god there is no Toyota Avalon in my garage!

P.S. Mark, I also agree with your comments on the 987. I got to drive one on the autocross course at the PSDS at Barber Motorsports Park. What a positive surprise! I'm bummed that won't be available to me but got to make the wife happy on this one.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Boxster as wifely car