Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun factor: early Boxsters vs newer models?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:52 PM
F451
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fun factor: early Boxsters vs newer models?

Hey gang,

With the prices of the older Boxsters getting into the "I can't afford not to buy one" range, I'm seriously considering buying an older one. Am still on the fence with this, but its mightly tempting.

My question is, for you owners that have the older ones ('97 - '99), how would you rate them for fun? I'm sure you guys love them, but it would be good to hear how you like them.

Also, if there are any owners that have owned both the older models and the newer, I would like to hear if you still think the older models deliver on the fun factor.

An regarding being a new Boxster owner, I have no illusions about getting a "bargain" Boxster. You get what you pay for. PPI is mandatory. Buy the best and latest one you can afford, etc, etc.

Thanks,

Ed

ps: would also be interested in hearing from any Seattle area owners that may be able to help me track down a "known" Seattle area early model Boxster for sale.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:05 PM
boggtown
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99. Best choice by far. Just about as fast as the 2.7's (same 0-60 due to the transmission), no pesky electronics, one set of cats, aftermarket has mainly 2.5 things out there (headers, supercharger, twin turbo kit, and some others that the 00+ cant get), and its the same body style till 04 so it doesnt look old. Its definitely fun and the only way it could be funner is with a set of new coilovers. Whatever you get, try for a 99 or 98, the 97's have a tad weaker suspension.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:27 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i agree w/ boggtown. the '97 - '99 models are also very light compared with the later years. i have a '99 as well. i take it to the track all the time. add some wider tires and the M030 suspension and you'll be eating 996's for lunch all day long. a ten on the fun factor scale. couple that with the fact that i'm now up to 125k miles with nothing but minor maintenance (original clutch!), and these things are a bargain. you won't be disappointed.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:23 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeverLateInMyNineTwoEight
...With the prices of the older Boxsters getting into the "I can't afford not to buy one" range, I'm seriously considering buying an older one.
Be sure to budget for repairs. Many a 944 owner has thought the same thing. Buy a 944 for $3k, then learn it needs a clutch that costs $2k. Ouch.

There are lots of "little" things that can afflict a boxster. MAF sensors, Ignition locks, Motor failures, the annoying to catostrophic RMS/IMS failures.

Some folks never have a problem. Others have many.

That gloom and doom said, they are fantastically fun cars to drive. As mentioned, they allow you to keep up and pass cars that "are supposed to be much faster"... They sound great when purring between 4K and 7K rpm. They are comfortable and absolutely useable on street (daily driver) or track.

Take your time. Find one with a detailed history. Find one with some age appropriate miles. Seems "low" mile examples are not worth their premium and can be more problematic.. Not always, but enough to consider it.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:02 PM
F451
Rennlist Member

Oye! Not what I wanted to hear! I was counting on you guys to talk me out of this! Ha ha...

No really, great feedback, I appreciate it. And its pretty much what I expected.

And re budgeting for repairs - great advice. And I am all over that (have owned a 944 and two 928's).

Thanks guys! -Ed
Old 10-17-2007, 01:00 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought a 99' with 52k miles on it today for $15k off Ebay. Absolute blast to drive, I was surprised at the throttle response. When I test drove it last Sat. I got pulled over by a CHP for blasting up the on ramp. He was cool when I explained I was just testing it. It will be a full race car by January for our new Spec Boxster class out West. Picture it with graphics to match my Cup.....

Old 10-17-2007, 04:06 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've driven them all (2.5's, 2.7's, 3.2's, and 3.4 987's). There is really not the huge difference that many would have you believe. The later cars are quicker, but the early models are still a blast.

Good Luck!
Old 10-17-2007, 12:42 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

They're all fun. What you're buying is the handling from the mid-engine layout. There are not huge differences over the years, but if a 2000 S is in your range, you might consider that as partly increasing the fun factor. For me, more HP is more fun. 2000+ also has some interior material upgrades, but as noted some extra weight and more electronics. There is a guy Mike Focke that has a buying guide on his website covering the differences: http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mi...oxsterwebpages
Old 10-17-2007, 03:12 PM
iJeremy
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The early models can be one of the best bargins out there for the "fun factor". They are agile enough even in stock trim to make a mundane drive to work worth getting up for, and can be an absolute terror on the track with one of our 2.5 liter supercharger kits. Forced induction, water cooled Porsche's for under 20K are hard to pass up. Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Cesko
Instructor

As far as fun factor, they're all a blast. I owned a 2001 w/ the 2.7L and test drove them all. First I drove the 2.5, then the 2.7, then the 2.7 and 3.2 back to back. The 2000 and later models seem to have more features that I wanted...IE: PSM, remote unlock for the trunks, etc.

Plus, the 2.5 is more prone for the RMS failure. (people here will argue, but I have seen several, so I consider nay-sayers lucky)

In the end, I bought the 2.7 version because it was the sweet spot for me when you consider options vs money.

Drive them, and don't limit yourself based on model. View all the cars, then let the cars speak for themselves. If you find a well kept 2.5/2.7/3.2 w/ history and PPI, etc. Get it and you won't be sorry.

Also, do you plan to supercharge? If so, then maybe the 2.5 or 3.2 is the way to go. They both currently have kits available. The 2.7 kit was discontinued due to header fitment issues. I think.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:02 PM
F451
Rennlist Member

More great info guys, thanks!

Regarding performance upgrades, it really depends. First is the decision whether to buy one in the near future. Then finding the right one. Then living with it for a while.

I'm sure I'll want more hp and better handling after a bit, but right now, the main consideration is overall condition and price.

I'll keep you guys posted if I actually start shopping. Right now I'm on the fence with minute by minute changes about buying one or not.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:17 PM
boggtown
Track Day

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12125

No affiliation, just figured it an absolute bargain.

Also, boxsters with decent millage almost always have good engines. Failure is likely to occur in an extreme low millage car under 30,000 miles as thats when the flaws show themselves. My car has 90,000 miles and doesnt loose a drop of oil and never had a problem in the year/20,000 miles Ive put on it.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 1997 Boxster and it was a blast, ran great.
If I had to do it again, i would look for an "S" but with prices on the older Boxster it's hard to beat...
Old 10-19-2007, 12:08 PM
F451
Rennlist Member

Thanks again everybody.

I've decided to wait this out for a couple of years. Just bought a commuter mobile ('96 Volvo 855R) and decided to put the 928 in the garage for some much overdue maint (pulling engine to get to hoses, seals, cleaning, radiator, timing belt/water pump, motor mounts, brakes, etc, etc). Won't leave much in the budget for the Boxster.

But I did get an agreement from the wife that a Boxster will be my 50th birthday gift, so just have to wait a couple of years for that to roll around. I'm sure there will still be plenty of nice Boxsters out there then, so its all good. Thanks guys! -Ed
Old 11-08-2007, 02:57 PM
ppbskis
Racer

If you go to Craigslit and search the LA Claif. section you can get these cars for 12K now

Quick Reply: Fun factor: early Boxsters vs newer models?