Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regret buying a 2002 S instead of a 2003 S (or vice versa?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 04:54 AM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Regret buying a 2002 S instead of a 2003 S (or vice versa?)

I'd like to avoid -01. So 2002 or 2003 are the range I'd like to look at. Problem is there is a relatively large jump in price for used 02->03.

2002:
Can retrofit a nice stereo more easily
Plexi rear window, $700 fixes that by buying a new top

2003:
Numerous interior creature comfort upgrades that make the SO happy
Glass window
Stereo is difficult to upgrade, must do it all due to MOST

Any opinions on this?

PS: Can you EVER find PSE as a factory option on the S? I've yet to see one...or aero skirts.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Avoid 01? Whats the difference between 01 and 02?

The only thing in an 03 that I really wanted was the glass rear window, My 01 now has that as well as the 03 side grills, exhaust and deamber of lights so I am happy.
BUT, if I had it to do over I may have went for an 03
Old 04-29-2007, 10:09 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I made a point of getting the 02 because I like the look better.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:37 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

I like the 2002 look better too, but think the glass window is a HUGE plus.

Bottom line, get the car that is the cleanest mechanically. My 2 cents.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:23 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 03 and 04 cars are worth the extra bucks. You can update and earlier car with a glass aftermarket top. I like the look of the 03 better..IMHO
Old 04-29-2007, 01:00 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Avoid 01? Whats the difference between 01 and 02?
'02 is the year it seems they got the water cooled engines more reliable (cracking sleeve problems)
Old 04-29-2007, 06:05 PM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sleeve issue was between SEP '98 and MAY '99 builds on MY '99 only. Read up on this.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:13 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

I love the rear lower bumper of the 2003 model, but really do not like the extra fanciness of the front end intakes. Very.... Pontiac.

That would not be a reason for me to choose one over the other though.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:45 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

I've read up on the cylinder problem a LOT (I obsessed about the 99-01 996 problem for a while). Some articles theorize because of a dropped machine, etc etc...but really from what I can tell the issues seem to occur up through 01.

Just trying to be safe

Drove an 01 and an 02 today. 02 was nice but lightly optioned, 01 had higher mileage and more body dings but was optioned nicely...other than it was missing litronics. Unfortunately both were in the "common as can be artic silver"
Old 04-29-2007, 11:00 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Oh one more thing I noticed...both seemed to have a lack of oomf on the push when (obviously) compared to the 996, but even when compared to my G35.

But having the top down was fun And I sure could throw them around turns.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:21 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrockPorsche
I'd like to avoid -01. So 2002 or 2003 are the range I'd like to look at. Problem is there is a relatively large jump in price for used 02->03.

2003:
Numerous interior creature comfort upgrades that make the SO happy
Glass window
Stereo is difficult to upgrade, must do it all due to MOST
Yes, and No, on the '03 stereo. I agree the stock system sucks. Try to find an 03 with the M490 option with the 6x40 amp. I've done upgrades to mine already (Mine had the M490 option). How difficult it is depends on to what degree you feel the need to upgrade. Significant improvement can be made by just replacing the stock drivers with better quality drivers and adding the rear storage console with speakers (PNP kit) if you don't already have it. The system will still be under powered for a cabrio with the 6x40 amp, but it will sound a ton better than stock. Also, you can fairly easily add a Kenwood KSC-SW1 compact sub behind the passenger seat for more powerful bass.

To take it to the next level, however, takes some work. This is where the MOST comes into play, and you have to change both the HU and amp together (eliminating the MOST bus). Then you have to tap the new amp's outputs into the stock speaker wirings. Still, this is not really all that difficult since that is all available at the connector for the stock amp, and wiring diagrams are easy to find.

There is lots of good info and written instructions here on sound system upgrades as many of us have already done them to various degrees.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:57 PM
SDDave
Advanced

'02 is the year it seems they got the water cooled engines more reliable (cracking sleeve problems)
Originally Posted by dennis a from pa
The sleeve issue was between SEP '98 and MAY '99 builds on MY '99 only. Read up on this.
Exactly!!!!!! Every Porsche I've bought came with hours of research before I bought one. Boards like these are a great place to do that research.

Just saw a great quote today, "Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what happens when you don't."

Don't jump on the first post you see by someone who had a problem with an 01 motor, see someone else post about the RMS problem, and put the two together. CAREFUL research is the name of the game. And trust me... its a better plan of action to be a sponge than to try and 'educate' people who already know what's what.

Another great thing to do- find a GREAT (not just good) local Porsche-only mechanic and ask them some questions about what they've seen and experienced.

Or maybe I should be directing you to a BMW mechanic for Z4 problems...?

Dave
San Diego
Old 04-30-2007, 08:27 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

SDDave...I've done four months of research. In addition I've talked to several local mechanics.

Trust me, doing lots. Most of it on the 996 rather than the Boxster but from what I gather most of the cylinder 2 and 5 issues happen from 99 to 01 in decreasing frequency as time goes. Reference the magazine articles that are linked to often from this board.

In any case the issues I've been told about bother me slightly so I'd prefer to go 2002+. I'm not sure why that would concern you.

Cheers
Old 04-30-2007, 08:31 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by First986NJ
Yes, and No, on the '03 stereo. I agree the stock system sucks. Try to find an 03 with the M490 option with the 6x40 amp. I've done upgrades to mine already (Mine had the M490 option). How difficult it is depends on to what degree you feel the need to upgrade. Significant improvement can be made by just replacing the stock drivers with better quality drivers and adding the rear storage console with speakers (PNP kit) if you don't already have it. The system will still be under powered for a cabrio with the 6x40 amp, but it will sound a ton better than stock. Also, you can fairly easily add a Kenwood KSC-SW1 compact sub behind the passenger seat for more powerful bass.

To take it to the next level, however, takes some work. This is where the MOST comes into play, and you have to change both the HU and amp together (eliminating the MOST bus). Then you have to tap the new amp's outputs into the stock speaker wirings. Still, this is not really all that difficult since that is all available at the connector for the stock amp, and wiring diagrams are easy to find.

There is lots of good info and written instructions here on sound system upgrades as many of us have already done them to various degrees.
How different is option 490 from 696 then? The stereo in 696 was "reasonable"...but lacking a bit of depth due to it had no speakers behind the seats. Definitely lacking compared to the HK/Carver in the Z4.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:56 PM
SDDave
Advanced

SDDave...I've done four months of research. In addition I've talked to several local mechanics. I'm not sure why that would concern you.
Four months?....

"The were issues with the 98 and early 99 Boxsters with liner failures. Some of the blocks had porous castings and Porsche would bore out the sleeves and install a liner. The liner would then fracture on the machined step and would separate and then all hell would break loose. We have not seen any 2000 and later Boxsters with this problem. And we were told that not every block was machined and that Porsche has a list of the vehicle that have a bored block."
- PCA WebSite

That took me two minutes. THAT'S what concerns me...

Just buy the Z4 already!!

Dave
San Diego

Quick Reply: Regret buying a 2002 S instead of a 2003 S (or vice versa?)