Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster with salvage title--fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 02:18 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Boxster with salvage title--fair price?

Hello...

I'm new to this forum, although I have been active on Rennlist in the 944-951 areas for a few years. I have a chance to buy a 1999 Boxster with a few options: 18-inch wheels and the navigation system that I know of for sure. It was purchased at auction by a mechanic/friend of mine and has no apparent structural damage--most probably a theft recovery. I can purchase the car for $16-17K. The blue book for clean title cars is around $23-24, but I have *no* experience with what the actual market is like. My main concerns are: first ensure that the car is completely mechanically and structurally sound--I can take care of this; and secondly to buy at a price where, even with the salvage title I can be reasonably sure I can resell it for what I've got into it. This seems like a great deal to me, but I've learned that when you are new to an area the "all that glitters ain't gold" applies in spades. Any pointers or advice welcome.

TIA.

Stephen Porter
PCA Member
Rennlist Member
Old 04-19-2003, 02:19 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Oh...forgot to mention the mileage is 34K.

TIA again.
Old 04-20-2003, 04:12 AM
doode968
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Steven

Do you have a vin number? Run a CARFAX on it. I can get a carfax report if you'd like, just post the vin.

I did lots of research and shopping, just drove home a 2000 Boxster-S.
Old 04-20-2003, 04:34 AM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I don't have a current Carfax access. I don't currently have the VIN, but will get it tomorrow or Monday. Thanks for the offer--I'll post it when I receive it.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:08 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stephen,

A few years ago I was interested in buying a 944S2 that had a salvage title. In speaking with the pertinent parties(bank, insurance co.), both said they would decline on the car as they have no assurace as to the integrity of the car. Your situation may be different, but check with your insurance co first.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:31 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are at all concerned about resale value, don't buy it because potential buyers will have the same concerns as you and will try to low ball you the way you will.

If you plan to keep the car a LONG time, do it as long as everything checks out. I would not pay any more than 60% of low blue book.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:25 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Stephen, that sounds like an interesting car to ship out of the country (e.g. Canada). It'll get a new title and be worth more than in the U.S.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:45 AM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

A couple of responses and an update. I think the salvage title issue is just one that puts a car in a new and lower range. You pay less and you get less. I'm just very unfamiliar with the Boxster market and don't know what the spread, so to speak, might be. I bought a salvage-title 1991 S2 in the past, drove it for a year and sold it for slightly more than I paid--so that was a good deal, all around. Somehow the salvage title disappeared between Michigan, where I bought the car, and California where I registered it. But I disclosed the salvage info to the buyer.

On this particular Boxster--I went to view it and it turns out that it *was* hit at some point. The repairs seem to be professionally done, but I would want to have it thoroughly checked out. I think that there will be some local people interested in paying more than I would for it though. Overall the car was in (visually) beautiful shape. I'm going back next week to drive it and become better acquainted with the Boxster line.

TIA for all your input. If anyone's interested in this car, contact me privately and I'll put you in touch with the current owner.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:33 AM
TMW
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had some experience with this. I presently have a '98 Boxster with a salvage title.

Some people are scared of the Salvage title, so it may take longer to sell one. The prices range from about 67% to 80% of the price of a clean title car.

As far as taking it to Canada, I think you're wasting your time. It'll still have a Salvage on it, or they won't let you bring it in. A severe title such as a CD etc. will be totally banned from import. A few, very few, states will allow a Salvage to be converted back if it passes a rigorous inspection, and the damage wasn't that bad. However, many states have recently tightened up the rules on Salvage titles.

There is always a chance that a mistake will be made and the Salvage will fall off, but don't count on it.

One problem is many banks won't loan money with an S title, which makes the car less marketable.

If you'll keep it for a long time, or want a car to modify into a track car, they can be a good deal, as long as you're selective.

Quick Reply: Boxster with salvage title--fair price?