Sponsored by:

Funny noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Funny noise

My 98 Boxster with 93k miles makes a funny noise when I first start it for the day. After the car warms up, it doesn't make the noise when I restart it.

It is comming from the drivers side and sounds like it is comming from just behind the rear fender dirvers side, but you know how origin of sounds can be hard to put your finger on.

It sounds like a belt slipping on a pump, or maybe a fan just starting up.. It is like a low pitched squeek. It quits as soon as the engine fires, and after the car warms to 180 degrees, it does not do it any more, unless I let it set for several hours.

Is cam timing on a Boxster a belt or a chain? Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks in advance.

Bill Seifert

1998 Boxster
Old 05-08-2006, 09:20 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to check the idler pulleys and/or the water pump pulley.

Bro
Old 05-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

I know water pumps were about 100k on a 944. Has anyone around 90-120k on a Boxster had a water pump failure?

Bill
Old 05-09-2006, 01:29 AM
bruinbro
Pro

I had mine break at 25k.

Bro
Old 05-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

Now that you mention it, I think mine does that. I got use to it. Kinda like crickets for those that were raise around them. I will listen close next star tup. Someone has to know. If it is an electrical device we could just hook up a multi meter and see if the amperage flow goes down. Maybe someone could do the start and you stand outside. Seems I noticed it more when it was colder. Hard to tell since I live in California
Old 05-09-2006, 11:46 AM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

I posed a similar question shortly after acquiring my Boxster. I noticed a high pitch sound/whine like a small high-speed pump. Not really noticeable because it’s on when the car is started but defiantly can hear it shut off after the car has run for about one minute. If this describes what you are hearing, it could be the motor of the electric blower that injects air into the engine during the first 1 minute from a cold start. Helps warm up the exhaust.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the ideas. A friend said it could be the bendix on the starter hanging. What I am going to do is stick my head in the engine compartment while a friend starts it. I will keep you posted.

Bill
Old 05-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

I would say Kabel nailed the source. I was woundering myself the origin. Where did you learn that? thanks
Old 05-09-2006, 08:23 PM
mreric
Advanced

mine makes a sound too there, but it's more of a hissing sound... usualy goes away after a few minutes, or if you rev the engine it goes away till back to idle.

ANY IDEAS in that?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:31 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

Originally Posted by Turboflyer
I would say Kabel nailed the source. I was woundering myself the origin. Where did you learn that? thanks
Right here on rennlist ... page 6 of this thread.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:51 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Exhaust air injection pumps are not necessarily fitted to all cars, with many manufacturers, it's a regional thing, to do with emissions control, and if I understand correctly, it's to shorten the time that the catalyst takes to become effective by accellerating it's heat-up.

With my wife's Volvo, it caused quite a head-scratch when the local independant service center broke part of the system, since original sold-in-Florida cars don't have the system fitted. (Not with VW or Volvo a few years ago. at least). -When I insisted that they replace the part which they broke, they admitted that they didn't carry the part, and had seen very few -only ever on used 'FL imports' coming from northern states- and never had to replace one, and didn't actually know what the part did... -and no, I NEVER went back there again!!!)

Another thought: Volvos and VW buyers when purchasing new had to pay an additional surcharge for the emissions control system, I specify Volvos and VWs because that's all that I've ever had experience of in this regard. -If you buy a VW in California, Maine, Massachussetts or any other state that requires that every new vehicle sold carry these devices, you had to pay an 'emissions control fee'. This may or may not be the same with Porsche, I have no idea... Porsche might be a manufacturer who just sells the same version for all 50 states rather than 'paring down' to get cheaper prices in states where there are no emissions controls (yay, Florida!!!) -Perhaps all manufacturers are like this now... -Who knows?

-Just a thought...

Keith
Old 05-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

I had a friend help me today, and it sounds like the starter is not disengaging from the flywheel for a 1/4 second or so. At least that is what it sounds like to us. We opened the engine cover, and listened carefully, and of course it would not do it. But just as he walked to his car to leave it did it. Both of us think it sounds like the starter bendix. I may get another opinion, before I spend $229 for a new (rebuilt) starter. I am famous for replacing perfectly good parts.

Thanks again,

Bill
Old 05-12-2006, 06:35 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

I have a sticky Bendix on my Golf (120,000 miles) at the moment. It only seems to happen to manual tranny versions of the car, and it's usually caused (in VW's case at least) by the clutch dust building up on the shaft that winds the starter cog back in, making it drag, instead of winding promptly back in.

If you can pull the starter easily, you might well find that cleaning off the dust and re-lubricating (please find out what lube to use on a Boxster, -on a VW the bst thing to use is apparently Motorcycle chain lube, from what I've been told) the shaft. -It seems like an easy thing to investigate and possibly save unneccesary expense.

-A link to a page that describes the problem on VWs:
pictures of the clutch dust/dirt and a starter stripdown about halfway down the page:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=844411

Hope this helps!

Keith
Old 05-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Keith

Thanks a bunch man, it is a little of a pain to get to, Air box, throttle body, have to be moved, but it is sure worth a try.

Bill
Old 10-18-2006, 06:49 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the spark plugs. My neighbor had the same problem. We went from motor mounts to pullys and finally found a loose spark plug. Had the wheel off and sticking our heads in the engine while starting it to find the problem. It is really strange that there were no performance issues with the loose plug.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Quick Reply: Funny noise