Sponsored by:

Any ideas on quieter exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 02:55 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas on quieter exhaust?

I have removed the muffler from my 2000 S for weight reasons (the stock muffler is a 40 lb beast) and although the sound is exhilarating to say the least, it is also obnoxious for any constant speed freeway driving primarily because of the dreaded resonance. Anyone have any thoughts on what would be the lightest weight exhaust that would significantly cut down the dB's? If the two extremes are the stock muffler (what I used to have) and straight pipes (what I have now), what would be the lightest system to get me closer to the stock side of the fence?

Thanks,

Bro
Old 02-26-2006, 06:34 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I just put a Fabspeed (Dansk) on my wife's 2000 (non-S) last night, I'll tighten up all of the connections this morning. Once it has a few miles on it and has had a chance to loosen up I'll post an update on the sound quality.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:08 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Thanks for the pending info. Would you have an estimate as to how much it weighs?

Again, thanks for the reply and the pending report, hope she likes it.

Bro
Old 02-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Guess I missed it, what muffler is to loud? Let me guess, GHL.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:02 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by Turboflyer
Guess I missed it, what muffler is to loud? Let me guess, GHL.
Actually, the GHL's are significantly quieter than straight pipes, but have the same resonance issue. I am looking for something quieter than the GHL's.

Bro
Old 02-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Bro,

Just took the car out for a quick test ride ... sounds good, sound is throaty, but no unpleasant resonance. I'm sure it will get louder as it breaks in and I'll repost in a few weeks with an update.

Weight is spec'd at 24 lbs. Go to the Imagine Auto website and look at the Blog section, there is a thread there describing the process to replace entire exhaust system on a Boxster. Good info, it helped me on the install.

Regards, Dave D.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:21 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Thanks Dave, sounds like the solution (pardon the pun...)

Bro
Old 02-26-2006, 05:58 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Hi Bro! First, any specs you read on any manufacturer or distributor website are not to be trusted. According to Fabspeed, their muffler saves 26 lbs. Read on... Dansk makes 2 major types of mufflers and numerous variants. One is a sausage-style that Fabspeed reportedly sells. I believe that one is notably lighter than stock, but reportedly loses HP on a dyno and has some resonance and a ricey sound complained about by another. I have not owned or weighed this muffler personally, so this is purely 3rd-hand information. Some other people have said that they liked the sound, too, but the dyno'ed HP loss is troubling. Dansk also makes pressed mufflers in an OEM style. The one I have currenlty is of that type and is the sport/export variant if I have the terms right. It is a measly 2 lbs lighter than stock. The sound may be louder than stock, but I sure can't tell, so yes it is quiet. A friend had a GHL which is significantly lighter than stock (don't remember the weight) but then it is not a quiet muffler as you know. I also used to have a Remus muffler. There are 2 versions of that, too. The version I had was also 2 lbs lighter than stock. It is just loud enough over stock to hear the exhaust and just loud enough to have some mild resonance/droning. According to my G-meter, neither the Remus nor pressed Dansk lost HP and statistically picked up approx. 5 HP and 4 HP, respectively. Finally, I don't know where you got your 40 lbs weight from. The only thing I've heard of weighing 40 lbs is the PSE which was posted as being weighed at 41 lbs. I don't know if that is with or without all the mounting brackets. The stock one with all the mounting brackets is 34 lbs. Without all the mounting brackets, it is about 31.5 lbs. 24 lbs would be believable for the sausage style Dansk because my pressed style one is 29.5 lbs. I think Fabspeed should have probably said weighs 26 lbs rather than saves 26 lbs. Their cat bypass pipes are also equally laughable that they save 30 lbs. Someone else posted that the OEM ones weigh about 8.5 lbs each to begin with.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:32 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Hi Red,
Long time, eh? The 40 lbs was my estimate on a bathroom scale at o'dark thirty with the pipes that go to the secondary cats attached. You are correct as to the stock muffler weight. Go to the blog that Dave suggested, the guy weighed the stock components and the Fabspeed stuff.

This thread was just trolling to see if there was anything new out there to help prevent further hearing loss while not replicating the boat anchor stock muffler.

BTW, got the beast down to 3000 lb with 3/4 tank of gas, tool kit and spare tire. Damn cage is heavy...

Bro
Old 02-26-2006, 08:54 PM
911RufRT
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldn't be happier with Porsche PSE.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:47 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bruinbro
Hi Red,
Long time, eh? The 40 lbs was my estimate on a bathroom scale at o'dark thirty with the pipes that go to the secondary cats attached. You are correct as to the stock muffler weight. Go to the blog that Dave suggested, the guy weighed the stock components and the Fabspeed stuff.

This thread was just trolling to see if there was anything new out there to help prevent further hearing loss while not replicating the boat anchor stock muffler.

BTW, got the beast down to 3000 lb with 3/4 tank of gas, tool kit and spare tire. Damn cage is heavy...
Bro
Hi Bro,

Actually, with those U-pipes, clamps, and with the tranny bracket, you could easily be at 40 lbs which is pretty good in the dark That Imagine Auto blog is a good one.

You might rummage through RennTech. I think (and that's a really big think) the guy was 'clubhead' in Singapore that did the before/after dyno on the Dansk sausage. Now that I think about it, I think he had the PSE on it before. IIRC, the numbers weren't 100% comparable because his was a Tip and he was running 100 octane. So maybe the Dansk sausage is closer to stock in HP since the PSE adds a few HP. IIRC, there were several dyno days in the "old" Boxster days when Babblers was doing a lot of dynos and many lost HP. You know how engineers are with numbers...

Your cage may be heavy, but I'm sure you've got the torsional rigidity that I only dream of. Unrelated, one of my future mods is to replace the front rotors with floating 2-piece ones from Performance Friction. Their website is probably still not up to date, but they now make them. I have some docs from them. PM if you want me to forward. HRP World has them, but before I spring for them (no pun intended), I want to find out the weight. I'm guessing 2 to 6 lbs less unsprung weight per rotor, but I can't get any weights out of Performance Friction. My current rotors are about 75% worn.

Take care,
arenared
Old 02-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Originally Posted by 996Carrera
Couldn't be happier with Porsche PSE.
Ditto (03+ PSE)
Old 03-01-2006, 01:32 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 130 Posts

Check out the Jubily exhaust, From the videos I think it sounds awsome and it weighs less also.

http://www.zerorinternational.com/in...od=10&CatID=11

Click the videos on the bottom!

Charles
Old 03-01-2006, 02:57 PM
PorscheFanatic
AutoX

Sounds fantastic!
Old 03-01-2006, 03:40 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Resonance?

Quick Reply: Any ideas on quieter exhaust?