Sponsored by:

Boxster Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Colvindesign
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster Turbo?

I was wondering if any copany offers a Turbo kit for the Boxster, or if there is a reason why it would not be a good idea (high CR).

Anyway, I just thought it would be cool to see a Turbo Boxster.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:05 AM
bruinbro
Pro

It's been done by at least 2 outfts that I know of. The biggest headache which makes it an expensive proposition is the need to do something about intercooling. the two solutions I've seen both involved placing the intercooler in the trunk and venting the trunk (along with the ancillary custom plumbing) Also, both engines were torn down and the compression lowered. Somewhat necessary to keep the bits and pieces together under boost.

All in all, not an excercse for the weekend shade tree mechanic.

Bro
Old 12-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Colvindesign
Track Day

hmmmm,

Wonder what the CR actually is then. As far as intercooling, I wonder why they wouldn't just do a water to air set up, Plumbing might be worse, but given the location of the engine, it would probably be much more efficient for cooling.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:52 PM
svochuck
Instructor

turbocharging is better than supercharging (it uses spent energy from exhaust where the sc saps power from the crank) BUT the TPC SC kit that i have is awesome. i have driven/raced a few turbo cars and driven a 944 turbo s on the street, but this tpc kit on the stock boxster is better for street use. why... because of the torque at 2500 rpm. check out the numbers http://www.turboperformance.ws/image...et%20boxsc.jpg the positive displacement just make great torque down low where you use it stop light to stop light.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Colvindesign
Track Day

Originally Posted by svochuck
turbocharging is better than supercharging (it uses spent energy from exhaust where the sc saps power from the crank) BUT the TPC SC kit that i have is awesome. i have driven/raced a few turbo cars and driven a 944 turbo s on the street, but this tpc kit on the stock boxster is better for street use. why... because of the torque at 2500 rpm. check out the numbers http://www.turboperformance.ws/image...et%20boxsc.jpg the positive displacement just make great torque down low where you use it stop light to stop light.

What is the boost level on that SC? That improvement is very impressive. Also is it aftercooled, watercooled or uncool(ed) lol, sorry, had to.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:37 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

svo chuck, I see that's about a 50 HP increase over the 2.7 at under 4,000 RPM, would SC kit also produce a similar increase in the 3.2?
Old 12-28-2005, 05:13 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by perfectlap
svo chuck, I see that's about a 50 HP increase over the 2.7 at under 4,000 RPM, would SC kit also produce a similar increase in the 3.2?
TPC doesn't make a SC kit for the 3.2 because the Eaton SC they use for the 2.5/2.7 engines won't produce enough flow for the 3.2 and the next size SC won't physically fit anywhere. There is another outfit that is SC'ing a 3.2 with a Paxton SC; should be done by now.

BTW, the TPC unit is not intercooled and IIRC neither is the Paxton system. Both use relatively low boost levels because of the high engine CR.

Bro
Old 12-28-2005, 05:15 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by Colvindesign
hmmmm,

Wonder what the CR actually is then. As far as intercooling, I wonder why they wouldn't just do a water to air set up, Plumbing might be worse, but given the location of the engine, it would probably be much more efficient for cooling.
Which begs the question, where do you put the water radiator?

Bro
Old 12-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Colvindesign
Track Day

Originally Posted by bruinbro
Which begs the question, where do you put the water radiator?

Bro
Well I'd have to take one apart to figure it out. But if they can run TTs on a Corvette and intercool it, I am sure someone could figure out how to run a water cooler for the boxter.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:29 PM
Colvindesign
Track Day

Hey Svochuck, wanna park your car at my place for a while?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:54 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Well I'd have to take one apart to figure it out. But if they can run TTs on a Corvette and intercool it, I am sure someone could figure out how to run a water cooler for the boxter.
A Vette has a lot more room in the engine bay and the front of the car isn't completely occupied with radiators like the S. The standard Boxster's might be able to utilize the middle area where the S has the third radiator, but I would have to guess that the third radiator might be necessary to keep the engine alive with the extra power being generated.

Bro
Old 12-28-2005, 10:22 PM
svochuck
Instructor

I'm not an expert on TPC so i don't know about 3.2's or what they have planned. as far as inter cool after cool ... the tpc system is a no cool but as was said it's not really needed with boost so low < 5 psi . less pressure means less heat . boyles/charles/somebodys law. my real boost (play on words) is i live in denver mile high and all that stuff so i get all of the sea level power back plus the 5 psi.

chuck
Old 12-29-2005, 01:07 AM
Colvindesign
Track Day

Originally Posted by svochuck
I'm not an expert on TPC so i don't know about 3.2's or what they have planned. as far as inter cool after cool ... the tpc system is a no cool but as was said it's not really needed with boost so low < 5 psi . less pressure means less heat . boyles/charles/somebodys law. my real boost (play on words) is i live in denver mile high and all that stuff so i get all of the sea level power back plus the 5 psi.

chuck
not sure whose law it is anyway....... ummm anyway the tighter the molecules are packed the faster they move around and tthat causes heat.

I looked around and found 11:1 is the current Boxter's CR. So above 6-7 lbs it would be a time bomb.

Now I am wondering what most smaller local shops would charge to do a rebuild (swap pistons). If it is a reasonable job, it might be worth it to make a kit that could handle the extra boost, as long as the engine was set up for it. I know at the dealer it's be similar to buying a new engine, but smaller shops can sometimes do a good repair reasonably.

Either way, I think I might get a lower priced used boxter next year and investigate.

A Vette has a lot more room in the engine bay and the front of the car isn't completely occupied with radiators like the S. The standard Boxster's might be able to utilize the middle area where the S has the third radiator, but I would have to guess that the third radiator might be necessary to keep the engine alive with the extra power being generated.

Bro
A lot more room ? Have you looked under one of those things hoods? But seriously, I was under the impression that the Boxters had 2 rads, but was not aware the S had three. That is a complete waste. Sorry, but I think they should have done better right off the bat.

But then again we are talking about the company that has been making the car with the engine hanging off the back for over 40 years.
Like I said I'd have to take one down to the minimum to figure out what could/could not be done.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:39 AM
bruinbro
Pro

not sure whose law it is anyway....... ummm anyway the tighter the molecules are packed the faster they move around and tthat causes heat.

I looked around and found 11:1 is the current Boxter's CR. So above 6-7 lbs it would be a time bomb.

Now I am wondering what most smaller local shops would charge to do a rebuild (swap pistons). If it is a reasonable job, it might be worth it to make a kit that could handle the extra boost, as long as the engine was set up for it. I know at the dealer it's be similar to buying a new engine, but smaller shops can sometimes do a good repair reasonably.

Either way, I think I might get a lower priced used boxter next year and investigate.

A lot more room ? Have you looked under one of those things hoods? But seriously, I was under the impression that the Boxters had 2 rads, but was not aware the S had three. That is a complete waste. Sorry, but I think they should have done better right off the bat.

But then again we are talking about the company that has been making the car with the engine hanging off the back for over 40 years.
Like I said I'd have to take one down to the minimum to figure out what could/could not be done.
Heck, the only thing I can think of that had more room under the hood was my 1970 FJ40 with the stock straight 6. The 300 ci V8 in the current Vettes is a teeny thing. What you are probably noticing in the engine bay is all of the plastic covers (translate: cosmetic crap). Get rid of the plastic and you could have seating for four for lunch with room left over for a wine bucket.

(Yes, I have explored the engine bay, a buddy of mine has one.)

Bro
Old 12-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

If you can read german check out

http://www.t-t-p.de/T/boxsterbiturbo.htm

or

http://www.t-t-p.de/english/986.php

They will twin turbo your S for 16,500 Euro or make it a 3.4L TT for 26,000 Euro. Not cheap.

Todd

Quick Reply: Boxster Turbo?