Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers window too high? Adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 12:52 AM
Fletcher
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers window too high? Adjustable?

When I open the drivers door the window sticks a bit. It appears to be a skosh to high when door is closed impairing exit. Also looks to be 1/16 or more higher on left then on the right. Is there an adjustment for this?
Old 01-16-2005, 10:36 AM
gkelley
8th Gear

It should be self adjusting, sort of. The procedure to reset it, from my experience on my 99, is:

1. Get in car and close door
2. Hold window button down until window closes
3. Hold window button down until window opens

Repeat twice (sometimes 3 times). It should work. You might have to disconnect the battery first so the window loses its "memory".
Old 01-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Fletcher
Racer

Thanks gkelley, didn't work will have to try the battery disconnect next.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:21 PM
JeffES
Pro

If that doesn't work, the lift mechanism is adjustable.
J
Old 01-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,

I have a similar issue, there is a buffeting noise coming from the driver window.
My guess is that since this door gets open more often the window might come up short of a milimeter or so. My car is a daily driver. If I could adjust it up a tiny bit that might go away.
When you say that the lift mechanism is adjustable, you mean that you need to take the whole door panel out, right? I found the instructions on how to remove the panel here : http://www.ecoutez.net/boxster/door-panel-removal/
It does not give you any advice on how you might adjust it. Would you have any directions, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Old 01-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Dave-Montreal
Track Day

The exact description from the manual is as follows:
Storing end position of the windows : If the battery is disconnected and reconnected the windows will not be raised automatically when the door is closed.
1. Close the window with the rocker switch ONCE
2. Press front half of rocker switch again to store the end position of the window in the control unit.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Hello,

I did follow your instructions which may have worked. I still hear buffeting noise at highway speeds from the drivers window. If the window is raised properly what could be the reason? I did put gummi pfledge on my top seals and tighten the top cables but it is the same. Windows rattle a little bit as well. If you take out the door panels is there a procedure to "tighten" the glass window in the support?

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look at the bottom of the door there are 4 oval rubber plugs. Behind 2 of those plugs is the adjustment for the window height.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Hi,

I did and I also checked the workshop manual. By screwing one of the bolt it actually broke !!
The 2 screws at the bottom of the door seem to attach the bottom of the X-shaped metal frame that hold the window mechanism. They do not adjust the height.

To do so you need to take out the whole door panel, which was confirmed by my mechanic. It is a major PITA and quite time consuming. Once you remove the plastic film that seals the door panel there are 2 Tx30 screws at the top of the X-shaped metal frame. If you screw it tighter the windows goes up. My issue was that as soon as I adjusted the window up put back together the door panel and replugged the battery the window adjusted itself a little bit lower the same way it was before, unbelievable !! I wasted 3 hours and was back to square one.

Anybody did the procedure before by any chance?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2005, 01:41 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Sounds like you were doing something else.

This is a regulator out of the car with a female torx bit on one of the two height adjustment screws. When the regulator is installed in the car you get to the screws from the rubber plugs.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Hi,

Thanks I got you now. The thing is my window was still up as I thought it would be easier to check how much more height I could add by watching the glass going up while I adjust the screw. With the window up of course the screw is unreachable and you need to take the panel out. It is my bad sorry, I guess I wasted 3 hours at least I have seen how it looks like !!!

With the rubber plug out and the window up, the only screw that you can see is the one at the bottom of the regulator which holds it down to the bottom of the door. That is the one that snapped while I torqued it. I did a ghetto repair on it, I guess it does not do much anyway. I will probably fix it if it starts rattling.

I was already cursing the Porsche engineers, why do you need to take the whole panel out to adjust the windows. What kind of stupid engineering is that Well we know who is stupid in this particular case.

Now if I get this right. I don't need anymore to remove the door panel and unplug the battery. I just roll the window down. Remove the 2 rubber plugs at the bottom of the door to access the 2 height adjustment screws. I tinker with those screws until my glass in in perfect alignment with the perfect height, right? Is there another adjustment done by the motor that "overrides" the manual one with the adjustment screws? Any other advice, since I got this totally messed up? Also when I drive over those little bumpy lane separators the windows rattle a bit. Would I need to torque the clamp screws that hold the glass together? How can I make the window rock solid and prevent it from rattling a bit.

As usual Tool Pants you save the day. Thank you so much for your help. I will try to adjust the driver window again tonight. At around 80 mph the wind noise is really bothering me.

Thank you very much. I think I need to make the 2 hour drive to meet you guys down there during the regular work on cars.

Last edited by Renaud Bizet; 03-28-2005 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

There is a 987/997 tech session in San Jose at Stevens Creek Porsche April 9th. That might be worth the 2 hour drive.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4333
Old 02-28-2024, 01:45 PM
byroncheung
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Renaud Bizet
Hi,

Thanks I got you now. The thing is my window was still up as I thought it would be easier to check how much more height I could add by watching the glass going up while I adjust the screw. With the window up of course the screw is unreachable and you need to take the panel out. It is my bad sorry, I guess I wasted 3 hours at least I have seen how it looks like !!!

With the rubber plug out and the window up, the only screw that you can see is the one at the bottom of the regulator which holds it down to the bottom of the door. That is the one that snapped while I torqued it. I did a ghetto repair on it, I guess it does not do much anyway. I will probably fix it if it starts rattling.

I was already cursing the Porsche engineers, why do you need to take the whole panel out to adjust the windows. What kind of stupid engineering is that Well we know who is stupid in this particular case.

Now if I get this right. I don't need anymore to remove the door panel and unplug the battery. I just roll the window down. Remove the 2 rubber plugs at the bottom of the door to access the 2 height adjustment screws. I tinker with those screws until my glass in in perfect alignment with the perfect height, right? Is there another adjustment done by the motor that "overrides" the manual one with the adjustment screws? Any other advice, since I got this totally messed up? Also when I drive over those little bumpy lane separators the windows rattle a bit. Would I need to torque the clamp screws that hold the glass together? How can I make the window rock solid and prevent it from rattling a bit.

As usual Tool Pants you save the day. Thank you so much for your help. I will try to adjust the driver window again tonight. At around 80 mph the wind noise is really bothering me.

Thank you very much. I think I need to make the 2 hour drive to meet you guys down there during the regular work on cars.
@Renaud Bizet did you get your fixed?

I'm trying to adjust window height (997.2) to get rid of wind noise (rear portion of driver window not high enough to meet rubber seal), got couple of questions:

1. There are 4 holes at the bottom of the door, 2 height adjustment screws (one is one of the 2 holes at the front of the door and the other is the one of 2 at the rear of the door), I thought maybe one of them adjust the front height and the other adjust the rear height, but seems like actually they both effect the height of the front and rear of the window? what are the differences in them?
2. anti-clock wise is supposed to raise the windows and clockwise suppose to lower. If I turn it 6-12 turns or so it will raise the window a bit (maybe 3mm or so) but looks like if i turn further it has no effect or maybe even lower the window a bit, is that expected? Also is it possible for the screw to come out if I keep turning anti-clockwise or there is an anchor to prevent that? I was worrying to put in too many turns to experiment, afraid that the screw might come out and hard to put back in.

Quick Reply: Drivers window too high? Adjustable?