Sponsored by:

The coolant tank from HELL

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 12:43 PM
eurothunder
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The coolant tank from HELL

Hi everyone. I want to share a couple thoughts. I have done pretty difficult things in life... I even moved to America from Europe and went through a crazy immigration process.... However, removing the coolant tank from my 96 Boxster has proven to be even more difficult. BUT I DID IT. So now, after inspecting the crazy party of hoses and clamps and everything in between I wonder if I can bypass the wall plastic comoponent and get longer hoses from the actual tank to the coolant pipes by the engine bay. I would save 2 sets of clamps and an insane amount of time.

Whoever wrote the Pelican parts article did it and I think its a genius move... The question becomes, where do I get longer hoses to do so?

Thanks everyone and props to whoever did this job themselves.
Old 12-19-2023, 11:29 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

I agree this is one of my least favorite jobs. I have done it twice, once with the engine in and once with the engine out (different cars). That said, the hoses are standard sizes, I don't remember if any of them are preformed with fancy bends, but the simplest would be to use an adaptor between the end of the original hose and a short extension to get it to the reservoir.
Old 12-19-2023, 04:35 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 660 Posts

It is difficult with the engine in the car. I did mine that way. Finding tools you can adapt on the hose clamps inside the engine bay was the biggest challenge.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:23 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I cut my oil fill tube, and re-joined it with a hose piece. This helped in providing access to the hose connections at the bulkhead plate without the tank in the way.

Old 12-20-2023, 01:13 PM
eurothunder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by elgy
I agree this is one of my least favorite jobs. I have done it twice, once with the engine in and once with the engine out (different cars). That said, the hoses are standard sizes, I don't remember if any of them are preformed with fancy bends, but the simplest would be to use an adaptor between the end of the original hose and a short extension to get it to the reservoir.
I think this might be the best option. I will still need to use clamps on each ending but yeah, the tubes are all different widths in theory to create the right "suction" or who knows what term smart people use. I will explore today connectors and report back.
In case this option fails I will install the regular wall connector and pray for the best.

Thanks everyone for the photos and messages. After this bad boy is done, I should be able to drive the car again. Been busy w work and I had to get a new wheel carrier in (Another epic job)... What a way to end 2023!
Old 12-20-2023, 02:23 PM
fazm
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Wheel carrier/hub bearing is a rite of passage. Good job
Old 12-27-2023, 08:06 PM
eurothunder
Intermediate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by fazm
Wheel carrier/hub bearing is a rite of passage. Good job
UPDATE: After a night ride to test how everything was going, getting a good smile in my face and reving my cheap and ugly Porsche the red light from hell came up. yes guys, I was losing coolant. Long story short, and after assuming it was just a hose issue, the indy shop where I take my car confirmed the tank was cracked... We are going the original Porsche coolant tank route... and $1,000 later I hope this issue will get solved.
So, advice for all those trying to get this coolant job done: Get the Porsche one, inspect before installing and be good. I hope I will get the car back in a couple days. Im also doing oil change, alignment and front tie rods.

Get an old car they said... will be fun they said :-)
Old 12-28-2023, 08:46 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by eurothunder
UPDATE: After a night ride to test how everything was going, getting a good smile in my face and reving my cheap and ugly Porsche the red light from hell came up. yes guys, I was losing coolant. Long story short, and after assuming it was just a hose issue, the indy shop where I take my car confirmed the tank was cracked... We are going the original Porsche coolant tank route... and $1,000 later I hope this issue will get solved.
So, advice for all those trying to get this coolant job done: Get the Porsche one, inspect before installing and be good. I hope I will get the car back in a couple days. Im also doing oil change, alignment and front tie rods.

Get an old car they said... will be fun they said :-)
Kudos to you for thinking outside the box... trying different hose setup.

The failure? With all due respect, you had it coming. There's enough, plenty, a ****load of anecdotal evidence upon these pages, and other forums, strongly encouraging the use of the Porsche tank. Not Uro or any other, ahem, "OEM" part. Every post ever I've read about the aftermarket tank ends with the same result.

When the time comes, don't try too save a few bucks on an aftermarket AOS.

You might consider reading posts/threads that have nothing to do with current circumstances... just read. When a repair is necessitated you might recall the post/thread, and you'll be armed with solid information.

I'll tell you one thing: I've read so many posts/threads since I bought my 986 in '17 that the coolant tank is one job I'll give to my mechanic.

Seriously, Happy New Year.
Old 12-28-2023, 02:46 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUGLAP1
I cut my oil fill tube, and re-joined it with a hose piece. This helped in providing access to the hose connections at the bulkhead plate without the tank in the way.

So that is how you get that **** clamp off the oil filler tube. My back still hurts, and there are three dings in the quarter panel from me leaning on the car while trying to get that clamp off. I snapped the top coolant hose getting that clamp off. I got a piece of hose with a barbed connector and small clamp, drilled a hole in the plastic firewall piece and ran it through the black plastic piece. But in retrospect I should have just taken everything out from the trunk and had access to that clamp.