2000 Boxster So or supercharged Miata

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 09:12 PM
96conv
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 Boxster So or supercharged Miata

Hi All,

This is my first post on the Boxster board and am looking for some advice. I decided to put my SC on the market for a Miata that I can drop a supercharger or turbo into. Basically, I wanted a nice looking convertible that handles very well and has good low end grunt for autocross plus good top end for freeway cruising. I thought a supercharged late model Miata would do the trick. Last night, my wise wife told me I was taking a step back by going from a P-car to a Mazda. She said I ought to save up for a used Boxster S.

I saw a very well maintained 2000 Boxster S with 35K miles for $32500. It is a six speed and in the color I like very much. Two questions: is the asking price out of line for the mileage and year and will I get the low end grunt I seek for autocross? I realize I ought to test drive the thing but the car is 50 miles away.

BTW, I did consider the Boxster S at first but never thought I could afford it (to purchase and maintain) or get the buy in from my accountant. Thanks for your help.

Chris
Old 06-01-2004, 09:51 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,

I went through the same process I used to have a miata and was looking for a Porsche convertible but wanted to make sure if the extra money ws worth it or not. I tried a used 993 but I hated it probably the car was not well maintained. The 996 was OK but still a bit pricey.

On a Saturday I went to the Mazda dealer and test drove an LS and the Mazda Speed. Needless to say if you want to get a miata get the last one it is 10 times better, the low end torque the extra HP plus all the nice features like the wheels are worth it. Price wise the dealer had the car listed for $ 30k and I could negotiate list price at $ 26k but no less which is not a great deal even though the Mazda speed is considered as a bargain.

The following Sunday I went to test drive a 2000 Boxster S with no expectations. I crossed the Golden Gate and went on the curvy roads next to Stinson beach with the top down.... There are no comparison it is a real sports car while the miata is just a toy (a nice one very easy and cheap to maintain, I agree but still it cannot match the Porsche sports car feel). The Porsche brakes are impressive, the low end torque addicting and the handling is in another league, not mentioning the responsive flat-six.

I was just going for a test drive and it was the first Boxster S that I drove, I drove a 1998 2.5L when it came out and hated it. It was exactely what I was looking for and even though I was not ready, I don't have a garage yet, I still could not turn the car down.

I got the car for almost the same price as the listed Mazda speed and I have no regrets except that now I am thinking of buying an aftermarket warranty to get covered for any unsuspected leaks !!

Price wise I would negotiate the price at $30k IMHO.
I can give you more info about my car (condition, mileage, price, options...) as we are in the same area, if you want to contact me.

This is a no brainer get the Boxster S

Good Luck !!!!
Old 06-03-2004, 02:01 PM
NewPcarFan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too used to own a Miata (1991) and while I have given thought to buying another one the lure of a Porsche is just too great. I sold the Miata because I wanted a more substantial car and the Boxster S has been calling my name for a while now. The Mazdaspeed MX-5 is a great little car but after driving it I still didn't feel like it would satisfy me.

Good luck with your decision. Either way you will have a fun car.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:54 PM
96conv
Advanced

Originally posted by NewPcarFan
I too used to own a Miata (1991) and while I have given thought to buying another one the lure of a Porsche is just too great. I sold the Miata because I wanted a more substantial car and the Boxster S has been calling my name for a while now. The Mazdaspeed MX-5 is a great little car but after driving it I still didn't feel like it would satisfy me.

Good luck with your decision. Either way you will have a fun car.
I'd like to hear your perspective about the Miata vs Boxster if you wouldn't mind. What did you mean by the Miata is less than substantial and why wouldn't the MSM satisfy your requirements? Just trying to get as much info so I can make the very best buying decision. I hate buyer's remorse but I suffer it a lot because I'm so dang impulsive. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:14 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Go to several dealers and test drive both cars. Some dealers will let you go for a good test. It wont take long to tell the difference. I had the anniversay Miata, great car, cheaper, really good in the twisties........not even close to the 01 S I have now. I put about 30 thousand on both. Get the S you wont have remorse. Of course you wont have as much money either. But remorse is costly. Good luck. If you can get the 550
Old 06-03-2004, 04:09 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

get the Boxster S.. you won't regret it. That price is decent.. but if u get lucky take some $$ off cool. If not, it's ok.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:14 PM
delhi
Racer

how about a Z4 convertible? Or an M Roadster?
Old 06-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I'm sure those Bimmers are great cars -- but if I were to get a BMW it would have to be one of their M sedans. I actually prefer the Miata styling to the BMW Z4/Z3s.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:40 AM
PaulK
Instructor

Default Smart Wife! Listen to her....

First of all, I like the rollbar on the Boxster, plus there is no substitute for the flat six sound. Other than that, you have to figure out if you want to be one of the hordes of Mazda drivers out there. If you are over 5'8" you'll look as goofy as the rest of them with 3/4 of your torso hanging out of the car. Just my opinion.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally posted by Alan Herod
I'm sure those Bimmers are great cars -- but if I were to get a BMW it would have to be one of their M sedans. I actually prefer the Miata styling to the BMW Z4/Z3s.
As Delphi mentioned, a Z3 based M Roadster is also a nice car. If I remember correctly, it was fast [0 - 60 in 5.2sec]. I'd get a Boxster S as first choice but def. the M Roadster over anything else.

Charlie
Old 06-08-2004, 11:49 AM
delhi
Racer

yeah, the M Z3s are getting cheaper(same price as a used Boxster) And their performance are on par with the Boxster S (which is still expensive).
Old 06-19-2004, 01:05 AM
drew2002
1st Gear

If you're interested in SC'd Miata's, you'll want to try out a car that has the M62 Supercharger, as the older Jackson Racing SC's have an upper limit of about 180HP. With the M62, you can get well over 200 HP, and based on a HP/lb ratio, it'll be better than a Boxster S. You can check them out at:
www.brperformance.com

Regarding the MazdaSpeed Miata, it's a somewhat anemic turbo, generating only 178HP with lowered rev limit. For autocrossing, you'd want to go SC, anyway, for the low end grunt.

Regarding a Boxster being more "substantial", I'm not exactly sure what NewPcarFan was implying, but the Boxster definitely is more solid feeling than the Miata. It's also a good 500 lbs. heavier, so it will likely smooth out small bumps better than the miata. It's also bigger, though I'm not sure if the cargo capacity is different between the two.

delhi - I think that many would take issue with your position that the MZ3 performance is on par with the Boxster S. Remember, the MZ3 has the older 3-series rear suspension, while the Boxster's suspension and handling has been considered one of the best in the industry. Perhaps acceleration-wise they are similar, but handling-wise, I'd put my bets on the Box.

-Andrew
Old 06-19-2004, 01:17 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Miata (would love to have a track prepped Miata), but in this contest the Boxster S wins--hands down.

Buyer's remorse? I can remember when 2000 Boxster S's were going for $60k at dealerships. At $30k they seem an incredible bargain.

The Boxster S is one of the best sports cars produced these days (according to a variety of "expert" opinions). It's got power, handling, a great audio note, two trunks, etc. So long as the car is a clean example, I don't think you can go wrong.

Try 'em both. I bet a test drive will settle your decision.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:01 PM
dworley
2nd Gear

Default Recently sold 10AE Miata w/JRSC for Boxster S

I recently sold my track prepped 99 10AE Miata and purcahed a Boxster S.
(I purchased the Miata from a DE instructor who had all of the mods installed including JRSC, Headers, Suspension, exhaust and it was always extremely reliable.)

The Miata was an excellent budget track car for occasional DE use but was just too cramped and the uncomfortable driving position caused me chronic back pain. It was definitely very fun to drive but worlds of difference between the Boxster S and the Miata.

I have had the Boxster S to 3 DE's now and it suits my driving style perfectly. It is very well balanced, predictable and very rewarding to drive. I have never looked back and am really enjoying the Boxster.

Definitely drive both for an extended time if possible and see what suits your driving style before making a decision!

-Dave

Quick Reply: 2000 Boxster So or supercharged Miata