Windstop Rattle!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 06:04 AM
GaryN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Windstop Rattle!!

Hi all,

I'm new to the Boxster board as I've "migrated" from the 964 board after exchanging my '91 C2 for a Boxster S (2000 mod).

2 quick questions:

1. My car's Windstop has a very annoying rattle, both clips are in good order and not broken. I have followed the instructions in the manual and it still rattles!!

2. My driver’s side window makes a terrible. loud "screeeecking" noise when lowering it. Is this easily repairable???

Cheers
Gary '00 Boxster S
Old 06-18-2004, 09:13 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I ended up just removing my center windstop. But my clips weren't as strong as I'd like. But if you've got the grilles in the rollover hoops and the windows up, there's still plenty of "anti-buffering" for my tastes. Sorry to say it's a feeble part and there may not be much you can do about the rattling short of taking it out?

Not sure about the windows...mine occasionally have a squeek, but that usually tells me it's time to give the car a good wash and all is well. I'd be interested to hear other comments...?

Welcome to the board!

Old 06-18-2004, 02:15 PM
fourniem76
Advanced

Default Same problems

Good day,

I have the exact same problems on my 2000 Boxster 2.7. The dealer gave me some black gum to put on the pins so that the windstop stops rattling... it helped quite a bit..

as for the windo, my passenger side window does exactly the same thing... have not found a fix yet...and don't really want to give that to the dealer to investigate yet... The noise actually started when the weather got warmer here... If someone has a fix for that.. I will gladly take it..
Old 06-18-2004, 03:12 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 785 Likes on 410 Posts

I had the window squeeking problem...the dealer put some lubricant on the main seal along the bottom of the window, fixed.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:50 AM
PetreTG
Track Day

Beef up the pads under the wind stop . There's two felt pads under it ... when the get really mashed down the WS will rattle like crazy.

I used about 3 sticky back felt pads under each and it doesn't rattle at all.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:15 AM
GaryN
Instructor

Talking

Thanks for the great advice!! I'll try it this weekend after the "Goodwood Festival of Speed".

Cheers
Gary '00 Boxster S
Old 06-22-2004, 01:16 PM
95 GPW 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gary - The passenger window on my Boxster had a similar problem. It started with the window not lowering slightly when opening the door with the top up. Thought I could live with that, but.....

After a few months, it made an ugly scraping noise when I lowered it, so I took it to the dealer and learned the window regulator was shot. Cost about $600 to repair. Hopefully yours isn't as serious.

Quick Reply: Windstop Rattle!!