Sponsored by:

kon

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 05:34 AM
kon
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kon

I have a 986 boxster 1999,2.5 tiptronic first time i have worked on my car ,took the MFS and throttle body out and cleaned it,put it all back started the car it revved up normally for around a minute then just stopped.When you leave your foot on the accelerator it goes but as soon as you take your foot of to press the brakes or something it will just stop. The engine light has juat come on,can anyone please tell me what might be wrong?
Old 11-18-2022, 05:25 PM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by kon
I have a 986 boxster 1999,2.5 tiptronic first time i have worked on my car ,took the MFS and throttle body out and cleaned it,put it all back started the car it revved up normally for around a minute then just stopped.When you leave your foot on the accelerator it goes but as soon as you take your foot of to press the brakes or something it will just stop. The engine light has juat come on,can anyone please tell me what might be wrong?
Do you have the hardcover repair manual? You'll want/need it.

What code(s) did you pull? Asuming you have a code reader. You'll need one.

Did you remove the MAF sensor separate from the intake tubing? Or, did you remove everything in one fell swoop... disconnect fromn the airbox and and throttle body end? How did you clean the MAF? Had it had any starting/running issues before you 'cleaned"?

Did you remove the intake manifold rubber pieces?

OK. Now I'm thinking improperly you reassembled the throttle body... did you get the throttle cable properly positioned?

Re-examine your work. Me thinks it's the throttle cable... or a line that didn't get reconnected... a vacumm line.

You'll figure it out. Welcome to the club.

Last edited by Starter986; 11-18-2022 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:06 AM
kon
5th Gear

Default Maf sensor and sensor.

Originally Posted by Starter986
Do you have the hardcover repair manual? You'll want/need it.

What code(s) did you pull? Asuming you have a code reader. You'll need one.

Did you remove the MAF sensor separate from the intake tubing? Or, did you remove everything in one fell swoop... disconnect fromn the airbox and and throttle body end? How did you clean the MAF? Had it had any starting/running issues before you 'cleaned"?

Did you remove the intake manifold rubber pieces?

OK. Now I'm thinking improperly you reassembled the throttle body... did you get the throttle cable properly positioned?

Re-examine your work. Me thinks it's the throttle cable... or a line that didn't get reconnected... a vacumm line.

You'll figure it out. Welcome to the club.
I took it all out in one go. Struggled to put it back together again I think I put all the wires back properly.It took me around 3 hours to do it.Maybe I need to take it a mechanic on Monday.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:23 AM
kon
5th Gear

Default Sensor clean

No I didn’t have a hard copy manual, I have put the sensor cable back in it’s position maybe I didn’t put it down enough. The car was working smoothly before I tried to be a smartass and thought I can do it myself.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:58 AM
tcora
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by kon
Those symptoms scream vacuum leak. Make really sure that everything has been reconnected, all the hose clamps are secure (but please don't over tighten them), etc.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:12 PM
kon
5th Gear

Default 986

Tightened up Throttle body and MFS after the problems I had over the weekend with the car just revving and not driving.Today got the car started and drove around 10 minutes car driving ok the engine light also came off got back and reversed into the driveway car wasn't reversing I just turned the car off and then back on put it in reverse and luckily it did into my driveway were then it started smoking at the back turned the car off the smoke stopped aswell,looked under the car and it was leaking what I think is alot of oil.One problem closes and a bigger one opens.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:23 PM
tcora
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Air Oil Separator (AOS). Not a hard job. Buy the Porsche part, not some aftermarket crap.
The following users liked this post:
kon (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 11:42 PM
kon
5th Gear

Hi will check it out ,thanks.

Quick Reply: kon