Sponsored by:

Loud bang followed by white smoke and engine stopped running

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 08:42 PM
miguel986
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud bang followed by white smoke and engine stopped running

So I was recently driving back home from grocery shopping when I heard a loud pop( initially I though it was my tire) followed by smoke that was coming from the engine which only lasted a few seconds. Then I noticed my engine lost all power and stopped completely followed by all the dashboard lights turning on at once. There was also some oil on the ground and car would not turn on when I tried starting it up. Anyone have any idea what could have happened? It’s currently and an Indy shop but I’m gonna have wait until they get to do an inspection on it
Old 11-20-2022, 02:45 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

I hate to say this, but it sounds like your engine is toast. A loud pop followed by oil on the ground often means a rod failed and perforated your case.
The following 2 users liked this post by BillC3:
Al Allen (11-22-2022), miguel986 (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 03:45 PM
miguel986
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BillC3
I hate to say this, but it sounds like your engine is toast. A loud pop followed by oil on the ground often means a rod failed and perforated your case.
That’s unfortunate, hopefully not Something I failed to mention is that the smoke white in color and I wasn’t sure exactly sure if it was oil or coolant
Old 11-21-2022, 01:24 PM
mrmustang
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by miguel986
That’s unfortunate, hopefully not Something I failed to mention is that the smoke white in color and I wasn’t sure exactly sure if it was oil or coolant

I'll concur, appears to be a friend motor. Have you checked to see if your coolant hoses or tank let go first?

Bill S.
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (11-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Loud bang followed by white smoke and engine stopped running