Sponsored by:

Oil Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 08:38 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Oil Leaks

OK, yet another question for the masses. Oil leaks, are they common ?
My 2000 boxster appears to be marking its spot, much as my 71vw beetle does ! So yesterday I jacked up the car and slid under with my dig camera and snapped some pics.

I've already made an appointment to take the car in next Monday but the dealer is already giving me the run around about bad maintenance causing the leaks. From what I can see under the car, and after reviewing what is on the 15k and 30k maintenance schedule, the oil leak would not be near where work is being done for the maintenance. My car hasn't had the plugs replaced yet, so that couldn't blamed for the oil leak at the head/valve covers.

Here's the pics.

Tom
'00 red boxster 2.7
Ohio
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2004, 08:39 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

another picture.
Tom
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2004, 08:40 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

and finally, the leak at the head.

Tom
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2004, 09:01 AM
gmund 1
Advanced

Hi. It looks similar to whats happening to my car. Mine is a 2001 with 20k miles on it. I have an oil and brake fluid change scheduled at my local shop. He said he would look into the source of the leak. This way I can determine if its something big that would be under warrantyand have it diagnosed independantly so I don't have to take any lip. Maintainence will not be an issue. I change the oil as often as I put in gas! Also I heard that if the head is leaking or the main seal that porsche will give you a new engine if its still under warranty which mine is. The head mechanic at porsche arlington at a boxster tech session told us that they just send the old one back and porsche figures out what made it happen so they can rectify future engines. YES this from a Dealer! I figure I'll drop it off this winter and let them have at it.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:20 PM
doclaw64
Intermediate

It looks like it might be the rear main seal or the intermediate seal. Both tend to go in the boxster. Sometimes it is out of round and then you will need a new engine. This is something that is well known about the boxster. Porsche knows about this and my dealer has been good to me. You should get this checked out soon by the dealer. If the car is still under warrenty then then it is free.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:40 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your first picture shows the oil you can see when the rear seal and/or intermediate shaft seal leaks. I saved your pictures to show others as your pic came out good. This is an all too common problem on the Boxster and 996 and has been going on for years. It even happens on new cars and cars that have had replacement motors. Search on RMS on the 996 side and you will see how common it is.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:55 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

The car goes in Monday evening. I will update this post after they give me a update. The car is under warranty but the dealer very much a snob to me because I did not buy it from them.

Tom
Old 04-30-2004, 06:21 PM
craigg
Instructor

You should be aware that if the engine is to be replaced, or even fixed, under warranty, the dealer gets paid by Porsche - thye don't suffer at all, regardless of where the car was purchased. They should be thanking you for the business. If not, find another dealer who will.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:11 PM
LeeR
Racer

My 2000 Boxster had an oil leak when delivered, and after it was fixed it reappeared about every 6 to 12 months. Dealer said it was the seal at cam cover, but who knows. The fourth time it happened they replaced the engine under warranty. Engine had 10K miles when replaced. The dealer (Beverly Hills Porsche) told me that if they have a recurring problem that they can't fix, they replace the engine. I have had replaced engine for 11 months and 4500 miles now, without any problems, and the car runs great, and not a drop of oil leaked.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:14 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Update:
I gave the local P dealer my car yesterday and this morning they tell me the rear main seal is leaking and also the oil filler tube. The oil fill tube leak is where the oil on the heads is coming from. About a week for the repairs, which I expected, and they will pull the transmission to replace the rear main seal. No motor replacement or motor pull, only the tranney comes out...

Will post more when they call back next week.

Tom
'00 guards red 986
Columbus, Oh
Old 05-04-2004, 10:24 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 413 Posts

That doesn't sound right?????

You HAVE to pull the engine out to get the tranny out - either you misunderstood them or they don't know what they're doing - be scared, be very scared - find another dealer!!!!!
Old 05-05-2004, 12:11 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

No, the service manager did say they would 'just pull the tranney and replace the seal'. But he may have been giving me a line. I've already spoken to Porsche Commitment and I'm going to see how this all pans out with this dealer. I only have one other dealer here in Columbus and I heard that they let the Porsche certifications expire.(what I heard)

Anyway, I'm going to wait and see if they end up replacing the motor...

Tom
Old 05-05-2004, 05:12 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine stays in the car when the seals are checked.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...&st=0&#entry24
Old 05-11-2004, 08:37 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Well, It is now a week and one day since I dropped off my car at the local P Dealer and I called em to see what the status was. They told me they had another car ahead of mine waiting on parts that just came in today and mine was next for service. They told me they had to use some table lift on my car that was already used by another car. Hmm

Guess I will keep driving my van.

Tom
Columbus, Oh
Old 05-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Hey , if its warrantee work they shoud be putting you in a porsche loaner. What up with having to drive your van for who knows how long.

Quick Reply: Oil Leaks