Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 09:40 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone refresh my memory what it's like to drive a boxster ?

It's been two weeks since I have even seen mine and when I spoke to the dealer they told me they haven't torn into it because they are waiting on the lift. All while my factory warranty is ticking down(ends in july).

I'm going through withdraw having to drive my grocery getter(van) to work !

Tom
Old 05-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Chuck Russo
Track Day

Looks like I will be joining the oil leak club myself. My 03 has 13,600 miles on it and just started to leak this week. When I called in to set up the service appointment, they said "oh yes this is somewhat common". Needless to say that didn't make me feel any better. They it is an 8 hours of book labor job and the tranny comes out. I'm very glad its covered under warranty however I am not at all happy with this. My "90 Ramcharger has a leaking rear engine seal. There I expect it - here I feel it is unacceptable. My appointment is for the first Monday in June. I'll let you all know how it goes. Wonder what my loaner car will be?
Old 05-27-2004, 09:18 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

I just got mine back today and it was 2 pages of parts they replaced. rear seal, intermediate cover, suff for exhaust, oil filler tube, etc...

Just happy to have the car back.

They had my car for almost a month and only worked on it for 3 days.... I didn't get a loaner from them until the last week and that was after I called porsche customer serivce and complained about the long wait time.

I hope to pop it on the lift this weekend and see what all they did(look for new gaskets) cause they replaced and cleaned a lot of stuff, according to the receipt. All under the factory warrany. Nice !

Tom
Old 06-15-2004, 08:57 PM
Chuck Russo
Track Day

Well it was my rear engine seal. According to the technician, the tool they use to install these places the new seal 3mm deeper. This is supposed to help with this problem from reoccurring. Apparently it is not uncommon for them to do two or more of these a week. 6.5 hour book job was done in just a couple of hours. Dropped the car off at around 8:30, he started on it a bit later and by 4pm the rear seal was replaced and the 15K service was complete.

The loaner car was a new Boxster with a tip. I must say playing with that was interesting – never driven one of those before.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:51 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Must be nice to have a one-two day service turn around. Heck, it took the dealer almost a full month to get mine done. Complete B.S. because it jsut sat there for 3 weeks and it was not until I called Porsche Customer Service, that the dealer gave me a loaner and worked on the car.

Glad you got prompt service from your dealer.

Tom
00 guards red boxster
Old 06-16-2004, 03:03 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Replacing the RMS is a one day job. Take it from someone who has had 4 done - 2 on my Boxster and 2 on my 996. Your dealer should be shot for holding onto you car for that period of time. At a minimum, they should extend your warranty for the period that they held your car.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:46 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

OK, now this seal faulure B>>> S>>> is getting to be a real pain !!!!

I got my car back near the end of May and it's now the first week of July and the seal has blown again ! Yes, I hate to say it buy I need to take it back to the slack daddy dealer over on the east side of Columus again.....

I drove the car around town and took it out to the Indy 500 right after I got it back and no leaks during that time. So a week ago I drove up to MN around the lakes and back and put a little over 2k on the car during that trip and when I pulled into the garage and parked it, it puked a lot of oil all over my floor. So, I put the car on my lift and behold it is covered in oil all under the rear( I knew I smelled something) and the oil level went down a couple notches too.

So tomorrow I get to call the dealer and set up an appointment for another seal, motor, who knows.... Man, do the air cool'd guys have this much trouble ?

Since it appeared to leak a large amoung of oil, I didn't drive it this weekend and instead gave it a thorough bath and buff/wax/detail inside and out. Looks new again, just wish it was not leaking.....

Kinda like an old Harley, hehe.....

Tom
Columbus, OH
'00 guards red Boxster leaking oil in a parking lot near you.....
Old 07-06-2004, 12:53 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

I have been following this thread on the RM seal leak. I am woundering if it is really the seal that is at total fault ,or possibly a combination of too much crankcase pressure coupled with some type of inadequate oil slinger aft of the seal. I am not a porsche mechanic and dont know the set up.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:37 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Well, dropped the car off at the Dealer today. Clock is now ticking.

Wonder how long they will have it this time ! Hopefully not 3+ weeks.

Maybe next time I will leave the oil out when I change it, then it can't leak ! : )

Tom
Columbus, Ohio
00 guards red 2.7
Old 07-14-2004, 01:01 AM
pologuy
Racer

Wow,

And I thought it was only the '97-'99 boxster engines that had problems....

Geez.....

Old 07-14-2004, 02:33 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of our local guys, Jean, who comes to our work on cars days, just had the engine replaced on his 2000 2.7. I guess after going through 5 seals even Porsche was tired of it. And I was tired of looking under his car when he came over.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:08 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Got my car back and this time they told me they got a new tool from Porsche that sets the seal in further and supposed to better align it too. I could swear they told me they had one of those the last time... Anyway, it's been almost a week with no leaks. But, my drivers seat got a tear in the leather while it was in the shop so now they are going to repair it this week. Any of you guys had leather tears fixed ? Does it look as good as new ? I guess I will have to wait and see.

Tom
Old 07-25-2004, 10:04 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

They will most liklely replace the complete section that is torn. There are three pieces, at least on my 01 seats. Top has two, bottom is one, all expensive. Make sure if they need to they replace the foam. It can tear some when they remove the old, well in your case not so old cover. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Oil Leaks