Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading a 87 911 for a 2000 Boxter tiptronic...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 06:09 PM
Daytona24
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW Sean, I didn't set out to make friends with my posts. I'm trying to figure out why you people don't care about these issues. Every time I see Porsche harking back to its racing days, it makes me sick. I wish the Boxster and 996 WERE great track cars, but they simply are not. I think they're awesome street cars, but that's it.

But quite honestly I think my next new car purchase will be a Lotus Elise - which if you think about it, is very similar to the philosophy Porsche USED TO have... Light weight, excellent chassis, outstanding brakes, and rugged quality (something Lotus never had until very recently). Now can someone tell my why a Boxster S which costs nearly $20k more than an Elise can't even begin to compare with the Elise on the track? Haha it seems the old "Giant Killer" Porsche has now BECOME the Giant, and it's only a matter of time before a firm like Lotus or TVR make fools out of Porsche.

The glory days are over... imagine if Porsche had NO racing history whatsoever, a CLEAN SLATE. Now compare the Boxster S to the Elise, or a Z06, etc... NOW, which one would you choose?
Old 02-25-2004, 06:23 PM
Daytona24
Banned

And just one more thing... (I have time to write this today, I'm sick and in bed and don't feel like doing any work)...

For all of you who would say to me "you're being childish" or "why don't you calm down, things are changing so just accept it", I have this to say to you - You're a *****. You're getting defensive because I have hit the nail on the head - you're a caffe latte drinking, "metro-sexual" male, who has more in common with your wife than you do with your father. So take your separate shampoo and conditioner, your brand new Birkenstock shoes, your freshly manicured nails, and your aerobics class, and shove them up your pansy ***. And if you have the guts to take your just-waxed poseur P-car out on the track (god forbid you get it dirty), look for me - I'll be the guy in the old, "clunky, quirky 80s technology 911" passing you like you're dragging an anchor.

God, some of the guys on this board, I swear I bet they're the VICTIM of spousal abuse...

Last edited by Daytona24; 03-18-2004 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:42 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't usually participate in this type of thread because it often devolves into juvenile name calling.

You have offered opinions; they have been contradicted by facts. This has apparently made you even angrier.

So we are at an impasse. Enjoy your Lotus!
Old 02-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Daytona24
Banned

Oh, and you're "above that" aren't you - you're a "bigger person than that." Let me guess, you think it was America's fault we were attacked on 9/11...

Yes, I am angry. I'm not angry because you disagree with me - I'm angry because you reasoning is so flawed and you can't seem to see something that's right in front of your nose. And apparently the ONLY thing that elicits a response IS name calling, or a disparaging comment.

The only thing worse than an idiot is an "intellectual" who THINKS they're above someone else. And I can tell by your unfounded snobbery that you are just that.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:56 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

What are people even mentioning any track use? What, do they go into the dealer and say "I was going into turn three at...130mph?"

Bring it in, say its broken, and they should fix it. I'm not sure if the revs and lateral Gs are recorded in the 986, but the 996 guys have these issues too. Why tell the dealer anything? For all we know, it could have been comming away from a stop sign on Main ave...

I just don't get it.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:00 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally posted by Daytona24

For all of you who would say to me "you're being childish" or "why don't you calm down, things are changing so just accept it", I have this to say to you - You're a *****. You're getting defensive because I have hit the nail on the head - you're a caffe latte drinking, "metro-sexual" male, who has more in common with your wife than you do with your father. So take your separate shampoo and conditioner, your brand new Birkenstock shoes, your freshly manicured nails, and your aerobics class, and shove them up your pansy ***. And if you have the guts to take your just-waxed poseur P-car out on the track (god forbid you get it dirty), look for me - I'll be the guy in the old, "clunky, quirky 80s technology 911" passing you like you're dragging an anchor.

God, some of the guys on this board, I swear I bet they're the VICTIM of spousal abuse...

Quite Sincerely,
Greg "Angry, out of touch guy" Manders
LOVE IT! Man. First time I ever read your posts here Greg, but thats great. "Civilization is the feminization of Man" You just keep on what your thinking. I'm not kidding either.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Daytona24
Well the answer is simple - the 996 isn't made for track use, period. And neither is your Boxster.

By the way Brian P, I'm glad you haven't experienced many problems with your Boxster. And I hope you continue to enjoy it. And realize that when I say "tracked" I don't mean PCA driver's education, I've seen soccer moms in minivans drive more aggresively than most people at driver's ed events, at least at the ones I used to go to at Sebring. I was referring to serious track driving, with a good driver.
Hard to say... I did a 2:24 at VIR in a 2.5L tiptronic boxster. I know I lose a few style points because it's a tiptronic, but the wife doesn't know how to drive stick. Anyhow, I'll let you decide if that represents serious track driving by a good driver. By the way, the top F class time (and I'd argue hard that a 2.5L tiptronic is misclassed being in F) is 2:17

Oh, and I've run the analysis of torque curves and acceleration potential. If I was in a 2.7L manual (still F class), I'd be running 2:21s. Granted, I'm still 4 seconds off the top pace for F class, but I think I wouldn't be passed by too many soccer moms.

Last edited by Brian P; 02-25-2004 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:47 PM
Daytona24
Banned

BrendanCampion, I'm not sure if you're in agreement on what I'm saying, of if you're being facetious. I'll assume you're amused by my post either way.

Brian P, sorry I wasn't saying anything about how good of a driver you are, I was making sure we're all clear on what kind of driving those cars aren't designed for. I don't live near Virginia so can't say I've been to VIR, but if that's your time compared to F class times, sounds like you're pretty competent behind the wheel.

Last edited by Daytona24; 03-18-2004 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:57 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I know. Believe me, the soccer mom drivers are not the ones showing up at their dealers asking for warranty service.

I realize that I've been comparatively lucky with my boxster and track usage, and have also been lucky enough to find a dealer that doesn't care whether or not it's been on the track.

It sounds like you haven't had the same luck in finding a dealer that will support you if your car has been on the track. That's too bad, but given how many dealers are in Florida, I'm sure you will be able to find one if you keep looking. Otherwise, it sounds like you have your heart set on an older car anyhow.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:08 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you have read that much about the Lotus Elise, it is a nice car but plague with problem, all gens are. Too bad too for 32K I wanted one.

As for them being fast in the twists or straights, Nope, I have a nice video of a Racing Lotus Elise all setup full aftermarket trying to catch a STOCK C5, it was funny to watch the C5 walked the Elise in the corners and on the Straights the C5 was just gone.

Any time you wanna bring that contraption of yours up to NY for an *** Wiping at Watkins Glen you let me know. I'll show you all about that.

I don't think you are serious about what you say, you made some sense but most was based on YOUR ONE FRIEND's car. As stated before check out the Boxster Racing Board, you might learn something.

I can tell your knowledge is very DATED. you need to get current, do some reading. Try the internet if you know how.

By your thought process we would all be driving black model T Fords.

Oh BTW, just to **** you off, I am drinking a latte in my Automatic Boxster with a spare coffee cup in the cup holder. While using my wifes shampoo and trying to slide off my Birkenchrist shoes with my foot so I don't ruin my manicured nails on the way to my Winsor Pilates class (As I stated before your knowledge is dated, the NEW thing is Pilates not Aerobics)

Life is short, hopfully yours will be shorter.
Now lets see what else I can do to get your blood pressure up. I need you to be all worked up, so I can watch you EXPLODE.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:10 PM
Daytona24
Banned

Well I guess my frustration stems from quite the opposite problem - when the 986S came out and a good friend of mine bought it, we thought the 986 was incredible. Of course it was soft from the factory, but after suspension upgrades and some victoracers, it was a hell of a lot of fun. However when the serious problems started, accompanied by similar horror stories from other owners, we both felt like we'd been 'had' by Porsche. If Porsche had built the new generation of cars like they did the 993s, they would be incredible.. Unfortunately though, starting in late 1996 Porsche started using Japanese consultants to increase their production efficiency... Unfortunately that also drastically reduced their build quality.... slam the door on a 993 and then slam a 996 door - I think it's pretty obvious that something was lost.

Furthermore, the drive for better cost-efficiency started to affect the design and engineering of their new cars - something that basically killed Porsche as we know it. No dry sump? Dual-cone synchronizers made from POLY-rubber? I'm surprised they didn't start using the steering wheels from the little toy Barbie Corvettes. And have you noticed how THIN the leather is on the new cars? After less than 15k miles in my friend's 986S, the leather was already looking worn (and he takes very good care of his Porsches).

Brian P, I'll be leaving for dinner soon but I have enjoyed speaking with you, I'll probably post again tonight, much to the chagrin of SOME board members.

Have a nice evening.

Last edited by Daytona24; 03-18-2004 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:12 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Ack, don't leave, I havent had my fun yet. read my post
Old 02-25-2004, 08:13 PM
Daytona24
Banned

Vampyre,

what is this "Internet" you speak of?

And I can tell your wife wears the pants in your family.

Its a shame I don't live near you, I would enjoy your wife ;-)
Old 02-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Damn that's all you got to say?

What about the whole latte rant thing and pretty nails and things.. damn it
Old 02-25-2004, 08:16 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Aww come on.... I want to hear more wisdom from you. Please.

Quick Reply: Trading a 87 911 for a 2000 Boxter tiptronic...