Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   Trading a 87 911 for a 2000 Boxter tiptronic... (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/114283-trading-a-87-911-for-a-2000-boxter-tiptronic.html)

Jeffrey M. 02-13-2004 09:12 AM

Trading a 87 911 for a 2000 Boxter tiptronic...

The problem is this: My wife of 36 years can't drive the 911 and I don't think I want to let her anyway. She would like a "sports car" but the garage is full. I want to stay with a porsche, so what do you-all think about trading my 87 911 cab. for a 2000 Boxter tiptronic.

Thanks.

JM

Sean 02-13-2004 01:46 PM

Get the S!

Doug&Julie 02-13-2004 01:48 PM

I responded on the 911 board...just to stir the kettle a bit. :D

:cheers:

delhi 02-13-2004 02:10 PM

Boxster of course!! git rid of that old 80s contraption buddy. but please no tiptronics. those are for camrys and audis. :D

Car11 02-13-2004 05:14 PM

Try and test drive a tip first and see if YOU can live with it. As far the Boxster goes, I currently have an 911 and 99 Boxcar and love them both. Don't be discouraged by "hollywood" 911 cab drivers with polished wheels proclaiming to owning performance cars (wax adds 20% hp). Just be thankful you can appreciate what others can't.
Carl

Daytona24 02-13-2004 06:07 PM

"git rid of that old 80s contraption buddy"

that's great, obviously you have a lot of respect for the "old contraptions" that helped define Porsche for 30 years. And by the way, I'll take my old contraption over a limp-wristed boxster (with cupholder) any day of the week. I guess it all depends - you probably don't want to mess up your manicure with that non power-assisted steering, you like it nice and light., just like your non-fat yogurt and $5 latte. Hey why don't you take your "porsch" on the racetrack and... oh, I forgot, the engine doesn't have dry sump so I guess you'll be throwing a rod bearing eventually - I guess that's why Porsche no longer honors the warranty if the car has been tracked at any point in its life.

Why don't you take a look in the mirror and ask yourself why you really bought that Boxster, and be honest with yourself...

HBacura 02-13-2004 07:45 PM

Originally posted by Daytona24
"git rid of that old 80s contraption buddy"

that's great, obviously you have a lot of respect for the "old contraptions" that helped define Porsche for 30 years. And by the way, I'll take my old contraption over a limp-wristed boxster (with cupholder) any day of the week. I guess it all depends - you probably don't want to mess up your manicure with that non power-assisted steering, you like it nice and light., just like your non-fat yogurt and $5 latte. Hey why don't you take your "porsch" on the racetrack and... oh, I forgot, the engine doesn't have dry sump so I guess you'll be throwing a rod bearing eventually - I guess that's why Porsche no longer honors the warranty if the car has been tracked at any point in its life.

Why don't you take a look in the mirror and ask yourself why you really bought that Boxster, and be honest with yourself...

Very sincerely,
Greg Manders

Sad, sad, sad:rolleyes:

Sean 02-13-2004 09:01 PM

Check out the latest issue of Excellence magazine. A panel of experts (Bruce Anderson, Jerry Seinfeld, etc.) ranks the Boxster as the #5 drivers' Porsche of all time.

Karl Ludvigsen, the author of the definitive book of Porsche history "Excellence Was Expected," puts the Boxster S at the top of his personal list.

:cheers:

mackgoo 02-13-2004 10:27 PM

I would agree if you can swing an "S" do it. The Tip. is great, you can play speed racer when you want or just laze in auto. It really is a nice unit. It has a few programs based on how your getting on it and it's always down shifting when slowing down etc.
Oh yeah and it's a "ZF" the manual is a VW.;)

Daytona24 02-14-2004 02:10 AM

The boxster S has a great chassis, fairly good brakes, and is a fun car to drive... on the street... However, it is by no means a sports car in the sense that the old Porsches were. They were intended to be tracked, and used by enthusiasts who understood the value of the engineering that went into creating those cars. Nowadays, Porsche has conformed to the US market and is making mass-produced sportscars that are technically still very good, but have lost the soul of the cars they attempt to claim a lineage to. Therefore, the typical new Porsche driver is someone who has little understanding of what Porsche USED TO stand for, but simply enjoy the prestige of the badge on the hood. But when Porsche stops honoring warrantied repairs when any car is tracked, (including a case where the new ceramic brakes, a $16k option, failed due to track use), and engineer their cars without the extra robustness needed for hard use, (aka bye bye dry sump lubrication - for 986 AND 996, mind you), you have to start to question how blatantly the company is cashing in on their prestige while the typical new Porsche buyer doesn't know the difference. It's a shame, and while I have no problem with someone enjoying their Boxster, I do have a problem when those buyers are helping bring an end to a great tradition.

Say what you like about me, call me what you want - but if you take the time to look at things from the perspective of an old time Porsche enthusiast, maybe you will understand my frustration when I go into a showroom and see a new "Carrera" with cupholders and a baby seat as an option.

mackgoo 02-14-2004 03:29 AM

when did they get rid of the dry sump. The 986/996 engine has just as many roots to real race engines as the 911 type. You ever hear of the 959?:confused:

24FPS 02-14-2004 03:44 AM

the 2.7 standard is a great car... the "s" even better (that year: 3.2?). the tip on the 2000 986 is great as well... teach your wife how to drive it manual mode though. can even be helpful in traffic, as she'll avoid driving in too high of a gear. although my past '00 986 is now gone... i do miss it... try & see if you can get one w/ "psm" though, a very valuable feature to that little mid engine p-car--- a safety feature you won't want to be w/o.

bol!!! & cheers.

ps--- some great values to be had as well :D ... i remember i had a little over $60k in mine...:confused:

Sean 02-14-2004 06:42 AM

I understand the point about the dry sump. But Porsche is still making cars that are intended to be tracked, like the GT3. I guess if you don't like the GT3, you're better off flaming Porsche in written letters than insulting enthusiasts on a message board. Frankly, that goes for most complaints; you'll get more mileage by complaining directly to the company and voting with your wallet.

This is nothing new. Porsche has always marketed its cars towards what buyers want. Even the first 356 prototype was mid-engined, but Porsche changed the configuration at the last minute to include a backseat - for MARKETING purposes. Think about it... Why does anyone need a rear seat in a sports car? ;)

Dry sump aside, the Boxster is arguably the car in the current lineup most faithful to Porsches from the past. Look at the 718 RSK and the 914 for the bloodlines. (And yes, the 550 too.)

Thanks to Bob Chapman for putting it visually...

http://www.chapman3.com/images/vroom...nspiration.jpg

mackgoo 02-14-2004 01:05 PM

Hey last night I went a little off the wall, but this happens when I run into such "luddite" type thinking. I have a wee ole 98 Boxster 2.5l engine. This puny engine puts out 201 Hp and 180 lbs of torque. What 911 engine since the 2.4l MFI even approached that? And then what was the displacement? porsche's true philosophy has always been big ponies out of little engines. So they've had to go to water cooling to accomplish that. Is that such a sin? These engines do in fact have a form of dry sump, the crank is not swimming in oil.
The only reason Porsche does not encourage 986 competition is because the far superior mid engine configuration would run circles out of the 911 and then where would the market be.
The old 911's surely are classics and are wonderful cars in their own right, the fact that they work out your arms and jumble your kidneys are not what made the 911, those were unfortunate characteristics of the technology of the day.

Vampyre 02-18-2004 01:51 PM

Hey Daytona24, your joking right?
I don't think I have ever encountered a true idiot on this forum.
many past 911 owners now own a Boxster. You must be jealious as heck, given the way your acting, it is so grade school.

But on to the facts:
Check out Excellence Boxster scored #5, but I guess you know more then that whole panel of experts.

Now go smoke your dry sump, ya high arse.