997 S stock class tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFitsCarter
Paul,

Great advice! I don't plan to keep up with scruffy anytime soon. This weekend I think he was at a little over 60 seconds and i can't remember if that was clean or not. My best time was 74 seconds clean. My time at the last event that you were at was something like 79-80 seconds. I never got a chance to say hi!! I have been trying to work on overall control and smoothness rather then flat out speed. Not making up excuses but like i always say you gotta learn how to walk before you learn how to run.

Anyway my priority isn't really to go there and try to beat other drivers (nevermind Scruffy or Oly! lol) but just go have fun and improve my driving skills over time in a cost effective way. It would be nice to have a solid vehicle that I can cost effictively race against equal cars of equal performance to measure my improvement.

I will take your advice and hold on to both sets of 19's for now and have my front PS2's put on my nice wheels with a almost new set of rear PS2's.

For the track I can get a set of Hankook's for $800 shipped or probably a full set of better used tires with 6/32 rears 8/32 fronts on ebay for around $500 or so. decisions decisions

Of course I will the car realigned from Bill ASAP!!

Thanks again!
Carter
I have a source of heat cycled R6s, 235/35s and 315/30s, 19" fitment. Plenty of rubber left and better than streets, unless it rains.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmazz
Wow. I just rewatched my video and the hard way looks REALLY hard. You had some really good times considering that!
It was just a costly brake tap in the ofsett gates to rotate and back on the throttle. I'll bet it was 2 seconds. Ollie went with me in the PM and never said a thing to me.
Advice is easy to come by at these events, unless you are asking someone competing against you, in class or for FTD. No matter, took first the hard way. Can't say that is was more rewarding though.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:53 PM
WTFitsCarter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
I have a source of heat cycled R6s, 235/35s and 315/30s, 19" fitment. Plenty of rubber left and better than streets, unless it rains.
These would obviously put me in a different class.. p9? But could be fun ok for me to practice with anyway. Are these your old tires? how much?

Thanks!
Carter
Old 08-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

These would obviously put me in a different class.. p9? But could be fun ok for me to practice with anyway. Are these your old tires? how much?

Thanks!
Carter
Have no idea why I posted that. Not good to learn this sport with any type of stickies. I run them at some events to help me rember to be smooth, as they have a lot less grip. Some are mine, got some from a track rat friend.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:35 AM
WTFitsCarter
Advanced

Have no idea why I posted that. Not good to learn this sport with any type of stickies. I run them at some events to help me rember to be smooth, as they have a lot less grip. Some are mine, got some from a track rat friend.
No worries when the time comes I will be sure to bug you on this.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:38 AM
WTFitsCarter
Advanced

Originally Posted by utkinpol
$85 lock plates do not matter for classification, as of adjustable toe links - do not get overly concerned about this.
from practical perspective adjustable rear toe links are needed if you want to go with more than -1.9 degrees of camber in rear axle keeping toe at 0.10 - stock toe links become a limitation at this level. But you are not going to go nearly that far at all. for -1.5 rear camber all stock parts you have do work just fine.

check with Bill about those cheap lock plates, if he says right away it is garbage - just do the alignment alone and do not worry about anything else yet.
This is what Bill said..

""Those lock plate kits are for use with race type tie rod kits..... you can't use them for a stock link set up.

The factory adjusters should NOT loose their grip if tightened properly under street or auto-x or racing use even!""

Btw he quoted me $150 for an alignment vs EPE at $240. But EPE said it does depends on how long it takes. I will be going to Bill since this will be my first visit to a shop and you have given him a good recommendation. Plus he seems to have my type of personality lol.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

This is what Bill said..

""Those lock plate kits are for use with race type tie rod kits..... you can't use them for a stock link set up.

The factory adjusters should NOT loose their grip if tightened properly under street or auto-x or racing use even!""

Btw he quoted me $150 for an alignment vs EPE at $240. But EPE said it does depends on how long it takes. I will be going to Bill since this will be my first visit to a shop and you have given him a good recommendation. Plus he seems to have my type of personality lol.
Bill does my stuff too, and also takes care of a friend of mine. It will get done right.
At some point this winter he will have me make a set of aluminum ramps for his alignment lift. He really liked the look of the ones I made for my trailer.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:04 PM
WTFitsCarter
Advanced

Bill does my stuff too, and also takes care of a friend of mine. It will get done right.
At some point this winter he will have me make a set of aluminum ramps for his alignment lift. He really liked the look of the ones I made for my trailer.
Well it looks like I found my Porsche mechanic.

Thanks!
Chris

Quick Reply: 997 S stock class tires