Notices

Best Porsche for autox

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 01:40 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best Porsche for autox

So, which car is best for autocross? I would think Boxster/Cayman. How's the C2 vs the C4? Will the C4 push a lot more?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:25 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The answer depends on your definition of "best". What's the "best" for you? The fastest? The most fun to drive? The easiest to drive? The most competitive? For what sanctioning body and class? Price?

A good starting point is a 996 GT3 for SCCA Solo Super Stock, but that's assuming answers to a lot of the questions above. The 986 Boxster S is a good car for SCCA A Stock. I've heard that the Carrera 4 pushes a lot more than the Carrera 2, but I have no firsthand impressions myself.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

95% of autocross is in the dry, and 2WD is better for Porsches. AWD gets it's
advantage in wet autocrosses and/or horrible traction surfaces.
+ 1 on the GT3. The easiest way to be competitive is always to go to
enough autocrosses to determine what is doing best in the stock classes.
That way you won't be too quickly forced into expensive mods that may
hamper the car's everyday useability.
If you're targetting SCCA, the GT3 is a very good choice. Your PCA
region may or may not have lots of autocrosses, and they typically are
not as competive as SCCA ones, but there may be enough competitive
drivers to make some classes a race. PCA will have a class structure that
will probably allow just about any Porsche to compete for some class.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:20 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my $0.02. Based on my somewhat limited experience, I like the mid-engined layout of the Cayman/Boxter. It's pretty nimble and easier to point the nose of the car where you want to go. The car just wants to rotate around its middle. There's some understeer, but not nearly as much as a 997/996. The AWD has slightly more understeer than the RWD. On a tight course the bigger power/torque isn't so important. They're all a lot of fun in the cones. The different designs just require them to be driven differently. With my car I feel have to really steer the rear end with the brakes/throttle to get some oversteer otherwise I'm pushing in every corner.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In stock classes, the GT3 seems to be the quickest, and also seems to be the only Porsche that is competitive in it's class (Super Stock) at the SCCA national level. The base Boxsters and Caymans (A Stock), and their S versions (Super Stock, with GT3, Z06, and Elsie) are not competitive in their respective SCCA classes. While somewhat nimble and easy to drive, the mid-engine layout of the BS and CS is just not enough to overcome the power advantages of the GT3 and Z06 (both of which also handle well), or the nimbleness and handling of the Elise. Thus, Boxsters and Caymans are rarely appear in SCCA national level competition. My friend and I drive CSs at the regional level, where how we finish depends on who shows up in what.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Rough_Rider
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lest we forget the earlier models, 914's & 914/6's are still kicking *** in stock, improved & modified classes in PCA. SCCA they do OK in SM2, FP, XP, etc.

To be perfectly honest AX is more about the driver than car.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:50 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
In stock classes, the GT3 seems to be the quickest, and also seems to be the only Porsche that is competitive in it's class (Super Stock) at the SCCA national level.
Disagree strongly:

In A Stock, the 986 Boxster S has several Tour and Pro wins, and many consider it the best car in class (although I'm not one of them).

The B Stock national champion considered my 968 the fastest B Stock car in the country, faster than his RX-8.

Greg and Jodi Fordahl have had great success in E Stock at the national level in a normally aspirated 944.

So -- I agree that the Cayman S is doomed in Super Stock, but there are several other Porsches that can get the job done in SCCA Stock classes.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:05 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by smackboy1
With my car I feel have to really steer the rear end with the brakes/throttle to get some oversteer otherwise I'm pushing in every corner.
Have you thought about adjusting your alignment? I run about -0.25 less camber in the back and my car is very neutral.

As far as C2 vs C4, I like my C4S much better than my old C2. I can take sweepers much faster and it provides much better control, though it doesn't feel as nimble.

To be fair, the C2 was a cab (more flex), had HD/M030 and PS2s while the C4S has thicker sways, PSS9s, Falken 615s in 315/245 and light wheels with custom offsets that extend the track beyond stock specs.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:14 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yunggrazhoppa
Have you thought about adjusting your alignment? I run about -0.25 less camber in the back and my car is very neutral.

As far as C2 vs C4, I like my C4S much better than my old C2. I can take sweepers much faster and it provides much better control, though it doesn't feel as nimble.

To be fair, the C2 was a cab (more flex), had HD/M030 and PS2s while the C4S has thicker sways, PSS9s, Falken 615s in 315/245 and light wheels with custom offsets that extend the track beyond stock specs.
I need a new set of tires but after I get used to those an alignment is next. I'm an autoX novice so I don't want to make too many changes until I work up to being a better driver. How does reducing the rear camber affect the rear end handling for DEs? Is it noticeably looser?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

I'm fairly newb too and I agree with your approach...keep it simple and don't introduce too many variables so you can better judge your progress. However, my setup was not for the purpose of having an AX, DE or track setup but rather an alignment that makes the car as neutral as possible - no oversteer or understeer. I did a lot or research on and off the forum and came up with specs that are giving me great results. Getting a good alignment is no different than getting new tires or a new suspension in the sense that it'll simply "freshen up" your car. I would consider getting an adjustable suspension or dedicated r-comps as variables that will mask your mistakes as you're learning but not a good alignment. And yes, this is a great setup for track also...not looser just tight and it won't plow. I'm running -2.0F and -1.75R camber, which is about the opposite of what you'd want in a RWD.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:37 PM
J P Stein
Instructor

Silly question.....sillier answers cept for one....unless you don't consider the 914
to be a Porsche. Even eavily modified, they are much less expensive to build than
most all the cars mentioned.....faster, also.
One can start small and work ones way up to a fire breathing TTOD car. There are classes for all steps along the way in PCA & SCCA....all it takes is time, money, and effort.....the fat checkbook method will also work for those with soft hands.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:54 AM
PowerTechParts
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

914 is def the way to go. Can build a killer motor for fairly cheap (if you do your own work). Can make it extremely light and stiff. Turns in like a dream and is not to expensive. Just do your own work and for about $10,000 plus the price of the car you can have a car that will beat everyone. Just need to know how to drive.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 914 always gets FTD at the AX at the parade!
Old 09-20-2007, 11:30 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Again, we need to define "best". A modified 914 can definitely be very competitive in both SCCA and PCA competition, but doing those modifications will require a lot of non-bank loan money and/or a lot of elbow grease, which may or may not be easily available to the original poster.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by J P Stein
.....the fat checkbook method will also work for those with soft hands.
For the most fun using that method, I would prep a GT2 for ASP or SM2.

TT

Quick Reply: Best Porsche for autox