Notices

Does anyone here autocross

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 09:46 PM
tomrc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I thought of SM but according to 2005 SCCA rules all Porsches are ineligible. Any 4 seater, that is not sports car based.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:55 AM
Lawn Gnome
Racer

I run e stock with scca.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:24 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by tomrc
Well, I thought of SM but according to 2005 SCCA rules all Porsches are ineligible. Any 4 seater, that is not sports car based.

Past Street Prepared you'd be in a Prepared class or SM2 where unless you plan on spending minimum 10,000 + in development and another 5000 a year in tires you'll be fighting an uphill battle.

SM2 is elgible for porsches.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:04 AM
tomrc
Pro

OK, according to the rule book, SM2 is for 2 seaters, technically 944's are 4 seaters. If I'm reading the rules correctly, when I take out the rear seat or any other lightening techniques, I would go all the way to prepared or "gasp" modified class. There is nothing in between SP and Prepared for 4 seat Porsches.

I run with a group who aren't SCCA sanctioned but do follow the SCCA rules and classifications, I'll have to ask there, however we do have SCCA events in the area and I'd like to be able to autoX with them without putting all the weight back in the car and changing classes.

Thanks,
Old 08-08-2005, 11:41 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Is there any autocross things out there where you don't have to worry about classes, and competition? I just want a place to do this for fun, take my time, etc etc...
Old 08-09-2005, 12:19 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

yes, almost everywhere. Your local PCA should have autocrosses, and SCCA requires
you to join, but as long as you don't care about points, you can run in any run group
and just get scored as 'fun runs'.
Joe
Old 08-09-2005, 12:26 AM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
yes, almost everywhere. Your local PCA should have autocrosses, and SCCA requires
you to join, but as long as you don't care about points, you can run in any run group
and just get scored as 'fun runs'.
Joe
Agree totally with what Joe said. PCA-GGR(Golden Gate Region) allows you to enter as "Fun" in the class and run however you are configured. That was how I started until I decided whether I was going to run stock or improved.
SCCA San Francisco requires you to be a member but the Scramento sub-chapter does not. -- anyone can run.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bloodraven
Is there any autocross things out there where you don't have to worry about classes, and competition? I just want a place to do this for fun, take my time, etc etc...
There are several clubs around Toronto, each of them has different rules and classes. The funniest classes are with the club from Barrie: they split the pack into four classes after the event, based on the best times. There are even trophies (plaques actually) for winners and seconds in each class. This turned out to be quite good for me, I got a plaque for second in my class. It wasn't the first class though, neither the second... Me, and many other drivers find such classification a joke, but the lot is large, and the event was lots of fun.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:06 AM
Der Rennwagen
Instructor

I've been at it for years. Loved 4th gear flat out autocrossing at Crows Landing NAS out in CA with the GGR/PCA and out at Golden Gate Fields back in '91 with my 911RS replica. I'm trying to fend off WRX STi's nowadays. They just can't believe a 20+ year old 1985 Porsche 944 keeps up with them.

Thompson
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2005, 04:24 PM
johnclay
Advanced

I have had a terrible attendance record for autocrosses this year. I don't think I've been to any except for at Parade in Hershey.

I had been running some of the SCCA events at FedEx field. Those are great events with top notch talent, but you have to be there for a long time just to get your 4 runs. Plus, I would have to remeber to go on-line to sign up exactly when registration opens, or the event will be full.

Bowie and Ripken stadium are both a long drive.

My wife has been attending different autox schools instead of competative events as a more effecient way of getting seat time and instruction.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Der Rennwagen
They just can't believe a 20+ year old 1985 Porsche 944 keeps up with them.

Thompson
It's not the car, it's the driver!

-Z.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:55 PM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I love to Autocross!

But I will say that my 1995 Mazda Miata or the 1981 RX-7 are much better autocross cars. The Porsches are superior as the course opens up and speeds climb.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Rough_Rider
Track Day

Been ax'ing for a few months now, only run 3 PCA events. Thinking i need much more seat time, car is definitly quick & glad to see all my wrenching is paying off with a good compliant suspension setup. Stable in transition & soaks up bumps well.

Going to keep the street tyres on for remainder of year, then trade up to R's maybe in 06.
Attached Images   
Old 01-30-2006, 01:02 AM
racerjsz06
Track Day

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
Been autocrossing since '89. Nothing I love better than taking my stock 95HP 914 and whipping cars with two to three times more horsepower.
I guess I have just a bit more than 3 times the HP!!!!!

Lawn Gnome, we think new guys like you who get out and drive the wheels off your car are great! Hope to see youout again this year.

Potomac guys, check your website and ours, we have 2 inter-regional challenges that should prove exciting!

Chesapeake Region
AutoX Co-chair
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2006, 09:52 AM
mickf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racerjsz06
Potomac guys, check your website and ours, we have 2 inter-regional challenges that should prove exciting!
Can't wait! Too bad your earlier events conflict with our Potomac autox dates.

Quick Reply: Does anyone here autocross