Notices

Does anyone here autocross

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:08 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did my first auto X and school. I had a blast!
Attached Images   
Old 04-04-2007, 12:24 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J P Stein
Ah, the old GT3 trick
A buddy got one last year and is autocrossing it this year. He's a better driver than I (that ain't saying much), but he's getting stomped running them MPS tiars.
He's convinced himself that he's gonna run Stock class at the Parade at SD.
Personally, I don't think he can stand gettin his *** kicked till then
I'm running my car stock right now with PS2 tires (SCCA "Super Sport" class) and I'm getting my butt kicked by folks in all kinds of classes with much lesser cars. I've got a lot to learn.

Following the advice of many folks here as well as the senior drivers in my area, I'll stick with the PS2 tires to learn on. They slide around a bit and I need to go easy on the gas at times, but they really let me know when the car is about to slide. Worst case I've had so far was getting on the gas too much coming out of a sweeper and started to get a little sideways. Then I over-corrected a bit too much and swung the other way a little bit. I caught it properly after that.

That same course was mostly on old concrete with a small portion on sealed asphalt. That asphalt was super slippery and I had to really take it easy there. It sure made me want to buy the Kumho V710s in a hurry. Must....resist.....
Old 04-04-2007, 01:33 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't auto crossed since I started doing DEs or is that since we lost our facility........? I want to auto-X again so bad I can taste it but sites are few and far between these days.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:58 AM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smokiemon944
I just did my first auto X and school. I had a blast!

Nice, you went to the Ripken event.

I can't wait to get my car back up there.

Pete
Old 04-06-2007, 07:59 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ripken it was. I already regiisterd for the next event in may. I also registerd for the autocross @ hershey.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:38 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm doing AutoX as well in my street cabrio. Last year was the first "full time" season at our local PCA club. I come from club racing/ big track background so attacking the cones was an experience as numerous times I found myself DNF because I missed gates
For sure its a great environment to have fun and learn. My cabrio was many moons ago my track car, but since she has been decommissioned from track duty I run her on street tires as my race car and all the spare wheels/ R tires are still in Texas. I'm very ready to go to R tires when I get my spares up here, but the satisfaction of kicking butt on street tires with a cabrio , stock brakes and engine with just a simple coilover upgrade is great
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Grantsfo
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 88 Posts

I truly enjoy AX and have been doing about 5 to 8 a year for the past 4 years.

My problem is I have never been able to take AX too seriously so I get very interesting results. For me, prepping for an AX means not sleeping in on a weekend and stopping for 4 shots of espresso on the way to the event. Half the time I dont even arrive early enough to walk the course.

I'm trying to change my ways and at least walk the course now. My last AX I walked the course twice and did ok. I think there's something to this walking the course thing?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Until I can go through the course in my head with my eyes shut, and it takes
about as long as the cars are taking, I'm not ready.
Any half-second you're wondering exactly where you want the car next,
you're losing time.
Joe
Old 04-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Grantsfo
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Until I can go through the course in my head with my eyes shut, and it takes
about as long as the cars are taking, I'm not ready.
Any half-second you're wondering exactly where you want the car next,
you're losing time.
Joe
Yeah thats one of my biggest problems. I do at least a couple seconds of "wondering" and then use my car handling skills to make up time. Not the fastest way around, but lots of fun, especially when I'm in the 914. Although my big 3700 lb AWD Mazda sedan is fun too - you rode with me in that car last year at Alameda.

I do much better on the track as its far more intuitive to me. My brain doesnt process cones well.

What are some of your strategies in remebering a course? What's amazing to me is I can walk a course with a good AX driver and they know which cone they will turn in, etc. For me I couldnt tell you what my line would be or where I'm turning in. I just do what feels natural to me.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi. Without fail, I always draw as accurate a map as I can, and then draw the line I think
I want. I identify the very few cones that actually make a difference and make sure I
know where I want the car when I pass each of them. I have gone so far as to swap
one cone on course for another one during my walk-throughs if I think it's important to
see and the original cone was an old dirty one. I will find a bright new one to replace it
so I can aim for it from the preceding corner.
Joe
Old 04-20-2007, 12:04 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, it's a blast! I came in 2nd (1st in points but it's a best 5of7 series) in my class the 2005 season. What a hoot! That was with a semi-prepped Miata. I've only auto-x the 964 a couple of times since I bought it late last season, and this year I'm trying to get my 993 prepped but.. work keeps getting in the way.

It's a hoot for sure. Some of the funnest 5 min. you can have. I wish working the course was not such a letdown...
Old 04-21-2007, 04:38 PM
928SS
Road Warrior
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kinda like working out on the course early on - you get to see what lines work and don't... walking it gives me a general idea. but those cones are harder for my old eyes to focus on and remember when there are 1000 of them out there than a regular track... kinda part of the challenge and fun...
Old 04-25-2007, 04:19 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJF1
I'm very ready to go to R tires when I get my spares up here, but the satisfaction of kicking butt on street tires with a cabrio , stock brakes and engine with just a simple coilover upgrade is great
Hey Danny!
When are you going to bring up the R-comps? Mine are waiting for me in Blaine. It'll be a great year!
See ya in May!
Old 04-27-2007, 12:44 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Hey Danny!
When are you going to bring up the R-comps? Mine are waiting for me in Blaine. It'll be a great year!
See ya in May!
R- Comps will be mounted when my finances allow me to
In the summer most likely...

Yeap it will be a great year, I love the competition and the whole scene at our club. Its great! See you in May!

Quick Reply: Does anyone here autocross