Notices

Autocross numbers for non-magnetic doors

Old 04-24-2019, 08:23 PM
JKinOB
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Autocross numbers for non-magnetic doors

All,

What have you found to be the best SCCA compliant (i.e. 8" tall) numbers for autcrossing on cars like the 718 Cayman that have non-magnetic doors?

I've been using reusable vinyl numbers, but the adhesives seem to gets dirty easily, particularly when being removed and replace between drivers.

I'm not really interested in a permanent solution - My co-driver and I need to be able to change them between runs. And I'd prefer not to drive around after the event with my numbers on.

Maybe the reusable vinyl is the best solution, but I thought I'd ping the forum to see if other solutions have worked.

For example, I could put some magnetic chalkboard contact paper on the doors for the weekend, and use magnetic numbers that are easily switched. Not sure if that will work at speed though.

Thanks!

John
Old 04-24-2019, 09:25 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JKinOB
All,

What have you found to be the best SCCA compliant (i.e. 8" tall) numbers for autcrossing on cars like the 718 Cayman that have non-magnetic doors?

I've been using reusable vinyl numbers, but the adhesives seem to gets dirty easily, particularly when being removed and replace between drivers.

I'm not really interested in a permanent solution - My co-driver and I need to be able to change them between runs. And I'd prefer not to drive around after the event with my numbers on.

Maybe the reusable vinyl is the best solution, but I thought I'd ping the forum to see if other solutions have worked.

For example, I could put some magnetic chalkboard contact paper on the doors for the weekend, and use magnetic numbers that are easily switched. Not sure if that will work at speed though.

Thanks!

John
I haven't found anything better than reusable vinyl.

-I think one big panel is easiest to handle and keep clean, but this may depend upon the curvature of the door
-I tape the leading edge with electrical tape so it doesn't get as dirty underneath
-When the underedge does get dirty you can clean it with glass cleaner and a paper towel and get most of the grit off. Some of the adhesive will be left.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:39 AM
JKinOB
Advanced

Originally Posted by edfishjr
I haven't found anything better than reusable vinyl.

-I think one big panel is easiest to handle and keep clean, but this may depend upon the curvature of the door
-I tape the leading edge with electrical tape so it doesn't get as dirty underneath
-When the underedge does get dirty you can clean it with glass cleaner and a paper towel and get most of the grit off. Some of the adhesive will be left.
Thanks.

The glass cleaner and electrical tape are good tips.

I will try the glass cleaner tonight, and the electrical tape this weekend.

Cheers!

John
Old 04-25-2019, 06:20 PM
Sprockett
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep in mind, it's possible to put legal size number and class letter magnetics on the rear fender of most Porsches.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:30 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprockett
Keep in mind, it's possible to put legal size number and class letter magnetics on the rear fender of most Porsches.
Especially if you can pick single-digit numbers.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:17 PM
kpl
Racer

I’ve previously used magnetic numbers, but have been trying out this static cling panel for autocrossing. So far so good after one full weekend of runs.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:52 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

If you run an SCCA event, I believe that numbers cannot be on windows, though static cling numbers should also stick to the paint if it's clean.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:05 PM
kpl
Racer

Luckily I have two PCA clubs to run with in addition to 6 other clubs so I don't have to run with SCCA.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:40 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by kpl
Luckily I have two PCA clubs to run with in addition to 6 other clubs so I don't have to run with SCCA.
Don't mean to derail the thread, but what do you mean by "luckily don't have to run with SCCA"? What don't you like about SCCA events that we could improve on?
The following users liked this post:
RDG_RCR (03-29-2021)
Old 08-30-2019, 05:35 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by burglar
Don't mean to derail the thread, but what do you mean by "luckily don't have to run with SCCA"? What don't you like about SCCA events that we could improve on?
The restriction of placing numbers on windows is what I believe is being contested here.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:59 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I can't speak for everywhere, but if you put giant easily visible vinyl numbers on your window in my SCCA region like KPL posted, we'd probably not give you too much crap about it, and maybe not say anything at all, depending on who's tech inspecting that event. It may not meet the letter of the rules, but certainly meets the spirit/intent and lets us identify your car. We have a lot that try similar but in a way that's extremely hard to read; certainly not with giant easily visible numbers.

Often on course there's other background stuff coming through windows that make numbers much harder to read at-speed than they are when you're standing beside your car. Shoe polish numbers are about useless.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:12 AM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had a lot more success keeping individual vinyl adhesive numbers and letters clean and reusable than one large panel.

It was so hard to apply the large panel without bubbles and then to store them back on the large cookie sheet without getting dirty. Also the larger panel leading edge I had to tape down as suggested above but individual numbers and letters I haven't needed tape.

Finally as I worked a course yesterday, it was really hard to read numbers in the window, less hard but still effort needed to read numbers on the rear quarter panel, and easy to read numbers with good contrast on the door. Im also relatively young with good eyes.

So please from a corner worker perspective put big contrast numbers on the door
Old 10-22-2020, 06:38 AM
Mozella55
Instructor

Received 274 Likes on 114 Posts

If you have a pop rivet gun, you can do what I did. Grab an old piece of corrugated roofing and rivet it onto the sides of your car. The magnetic numbers not only stick well to the steel roofing, but it helps cover up some of that horrible Miami Drug Dealer Blue paint.
The following 5 users liked this post by Mozella55:
IPA1 (08-13-2023), Lincoln Peters (04-30-2021), paddlefoot64 (10-22-2020), RacingChris44 (02-27-2023), Robert Nixon (11-13-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 01:28 AM
David Borden
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 56 Posts

We used static cling vinyl that we installed with a spray bottle and squeegee. No adhesive and the same set lasted for years even after taking them on and off numerous times.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:30 PM
kpl
Racer

I've gone back to magnetic numbers on the upper quarter panel. The vinyl was a hassle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autocross numbers for non-magnetic doors