Notices

Autocross numbers for non-magnetic doors

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 01:59 PM
PET
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by David Borden
We used static cling vinyl that we installed with a spray bottle and squeegee. No adhesive and the same set lasted for years even after taking them on and off numerous times.
I agree with David, if you keep 'em clean they last a long time, Tricky when you have a codriver,but I just have them enter with a number like 2021 or 20 and add a piece of tape.
The following users liked this post:
RacingChris44 (02-27-2023)
Old 04-25-2024, 12:36 PM
toy4speed
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I autocross my 2021 GT4 in various local clubs, including SCCA so having 8" tall numbers, 4" tall class letters is required. With the aluminum doors, I've tried various methods of applying class numbers/letters. Lost several static cling numbers off the door, magnetics off the rear fenders. For a while I had success applying Track Armor clear tape to the door panel, then black duct tape on top to make numbers. Very effective, looked meh. I ordered magnetic numbers from a reputable supplier, looked great, but unless it was a very hot day, the magnetics would not contour to the rear fender well enough to stay on at speed.

Looking for a solution, wanted to share with others what I recently found. The custom magnetics were approximately 40 mils thick, nice, durable, work great on a flat metal door. Looking for a thinner magnetic sheet, I first tried 16 mils (too thin and not good magnetic hold), then 30 mils (good flex, good hold). Used my purchased numbers as template, traced out numbers on the 8x11 magnetic sheets of 30 mil. Then spray painted black with vinyl spray paint. These number adhere to the rear fenders well, flex to the curvature of the fender even in cool conditions. No puckering, lifting of edges, etc, such as with the thicker numbers. Will test this weekend, but my impressions are very positive so far! If you don't mind tracing and cutting out your own numbers, this is a good option! Much more convenient when swapping numbers in multi-driver cars!

The following 3 users liked this post by toy4speed:
Abt12 (04-25-2024), BmacIL (04-29-2024), Z3papa (04-26-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 01:10 AM
Abt12
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4speed

Looking for a solution, wanted to share with others what I recently found. The custom magnetics were approximately 40 mils thick, nice, durable, work great on a flat metal door. Looking for a thinner magnetic sheet, I first tried 16 mils (too thin and not good magnetic hold), then 30 mils (good flex, good hold). Used my purchased numbers as template, traced out numbers on the 8x11 magnetic sheets of 30 mil. Then spray painted black with vinyl spray paint. These number adhere to the rear fenders well, flex to the curvature of the fender even in cool conditions. No puckering, lifting of edges, etc, such as with the thicker numbers. Will test this weekend, but my impressions are very positive so far! If you don't mind tracing and cutting out your own numbers, this is a good option! Much more convenient when swapping numbers in multi-driver cars!
A quick note so you don't do the idiot thing I did - the SHINY side is magnetic, the dull side is NOT. I assumed the shiny side had a coating and would be slightly less magnetic if anything but it shouldn't matter, and I was just going to run with the shiny side out because it looked nicer... not so much.

Totally unrelated - if anybody is looking for magnetic 7s, 1s, As, or Ss that are mirrored, let me know!
Old 06-18-2024, 01:36 AM
toy4speed
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Good tip! Fortunately I tested a sheet against my car door panel as soon as I received the magnetic sheets and YUP, the shiny side sticks to the door, the dull side just falls off!
Old 06-18-2024, 01:56 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 161 Posts

Here we go:
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/RACENUMBER.html

Quick Reply: Autocross numbers for non-magnetic doors