Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

New head unit mounted. Fiber Optic Questions! **with PICS**

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 05:44 PM
Rampino
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New head unit mounted. Fiber Optic Questions! **with PICS**

I posted this question over on the Cayenne section but wanted some more general help from everyone.

I have an 04 Cayenne Turbo with the BOSE MOST sound system. I am replacing my head unit with an aftermarket one and want to see if I can get the Bose amp to work without that "kit" that costs $600. I know that I can buy an amp and be done with it but that is not the point here. I am on a quest to see if I can The plan is to put in an analog to digital converter behind the dash for the signal to the amp.

My question is:
What does fiber optic return cable do? What signal is it sending back to the PCM?

As of now, the radio is all hooked up and everything is working but the speakers (at least I have the exhaust to listen to).

New radio pic

Android operating system
Old 10-20-2015, 09:10 AM
matthew oshea
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The solution seems to be quite simple. All you need is an RCA to fiber optic conversion box. These are easy to buy if you live in China but hard to come by in the states. The most converter box that dynavin sells looks identical to the ones offered in China but I don't know if dynavin will include the harness. I have found some for sale on allibaba, but idk if I trust that site. This is different from the "extention cord" that some sellers use to bypass the factory amp. How do you like the unit otherwise?
Old 01-26-2016, 07:27 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Rampino
My question is:
What does fiber optic return cable do? What signal is it sending back to the PCM?
I'm going through something similar on my 2003 996. From what I can understand, the MOST (fibre optic) cable is the connection from the head unit to the amp...and the only one. So without it, there is no signal from the head unit to the amp, therefore no sound comes out of the amp, as all the speaker outputs are from the amp.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:09 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 686 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
I'm going through something similar on my 2003 996. From what I can understand, the MOST (fibre optic) cable is the connection from the head unit to the amp...and the only one. So without it, there is no signal from the head unit to the amp, therefore no sound comes out of the amp, as all the speaker outputs are from the amp.
In Porsches with MOST, the fiber optic line is sending the audio signal as well as sending and receiving volume information. The volume level is actually controlled within the amplifier, the PCM is simply "telling" the amplifier to raise or lower it's amplitude. Because of this, a proprietary module is required to decode that signal and act as a "handshake" between the aftermarket head unit and the amplifier. This is also the case when replacing the amplifier and not the PCM.

You can use the MOST H.U.R. from NAV-TV, or replace the factory amplifier with an aftermarket. I find the latter to be be more rewarding in the long run.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:44 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
In Porsches with MOST, the fiber optic line is sending the audio signal as well as sending and receiving volume information. The volume level is actually controlled within the amplifier, the PCM is simply "telling" the amplifier to raise or lower it's amplitude. Because of this, a proprietary module is required to decode that signal and act as a "handshake" between the aftermarket head unit and the amplifier. This is also the case when replacing the amplifier and not the PCM.

You can use the MOST H.U.R. from NAV-TV, or replace the factory amplifier with an aftermarket. I find the latter to be be more rewarding in the long run.
Please excuse my lack of understanding...how would an aftermarket amp understand the fibre optic signal from the head unit? or visa versa? My understanding was that you had to replace both amp and head unit together, or not at all?
Old 01-26-2016, 07:49 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 686 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
Please excuse my lack of understanding...how would an aftermarket amp understand the fibre optic signal from the head unit? or visa versa? My understanding was that you had to replace both amp and head unit together, or not at all?
Sorry for my lack of clarity there. You can replace the amp or the head unit without replacing the other, however, either way you're going to have to buy an interface that costs several hundred dollars. If you replace both, you do not need any costly interfaces.

Does that make sense?
Old 01-26-2016, 08:13 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Does that make sense?
Sadly, yes. It was nice to dream for a moment
Old 01-27-2016, 12:13 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

OP, can you tell me what head unit is that? Its one of those android units all over ebay but the screen is bigger than any i've seen.
thanks

Quick Reply: New head unit mounted. Fiber Optic Questions! **with PICS**