Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Operation of iPod with Universal Audio Interface

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 05:14 AM
vanHunks
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Operation of iPod with Universal Audio Interface

I acquired recently a 997 2011 Carrera GTS with PCM and the UAI. I was looking forward to being able to play the music stored on my iPod in Apple's lossless format, as I've been able to do using (separately) the Intravee and GROM units in my E46 M3 so was disappointed when no sound emerged. I have since concluded that the UAI does not "play" the iPod but treats it simply as a storage device so the files stored there need to be in one of the lo-fi formats compatible with the PCM. Is this conclusion correct ? If so it's a great pity although I suppose one would argue that for the environment 320K is adequate (and yes, I can tell the difference between MP3 at 320K and lossless formats like FLAC in a good listening environment).
Old 02-04-2016, 11:07 AM
audioman79
Advanced

Yeah most oem cars wont play Flac files. Just the standard mp3 format. What headunit do you have?
Old 02-06-2016, 11:52 AM
vanHunks
Intermediate

It looks as though I was too quick to jump to conclusions. Further exploration revealed that it was playing the ALE/MP4 files on the iPod but at a very low volume. The culprit was revealed to be a dud pin in the iPod connector in the Y-cable; the cable was replaced and normal service resumed.

I've concluded from this that the PCM is "playing" the iPod and collecting the audio output as an analogue signal, which is a pity but I suspect in makes no real difference.

If anyone reading this has the pin-outs of the Y-cable I would be grateful for a copy.

Quick Reply: Operation of iPod with Universal Audio Interface