Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Panasonic TX-P65VT30E or TX-65VT50E

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:01 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts
Default Panasonic TX-P65VT30E or TX-65VT50E

After searching for a TV for my new great room for quite some time I have decided that there isn't an LED/LCD TV I can live with. The Sharp Quattron initially impressed me but after extensive viewing I can't handle the slower refresh rate and graininess of the LED/LCD's not to mention the blurring and colors washing out. I will always be a plasma fan and I want to buy one more before these get phased out which will happen in the next few years.

Has anyone had experience with either of these panasonic tv's? I have compared the sharp against the 30E side by side and honestly the 30E wins hands down, superior in every way over the LED. This is with both TV's connected to a good source and properly setup. Plasma still has IMO better blacks, superior motion, better color and although you can dim the sharp so it isn't so overly saturated as 99% of all the LED's I have seen I just can't handle the picture of anything other than Plasma. That isn't saying the newer LED's haven't come light years from where they were.

The new 50E is out and is supposedly superior to the 30E but prices on the 30E are favorable, if anyone has one of these TV's i would appreciate your opinion.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am in a similar situation. My bride would like to retire the Pioneer Elite 58" analog RPTV and redo the family room with a wall mounted panel over the fireplace (gas insert).

I went to Best Buy Magnolia theatre to see if I could buy an LCD TV instead of plasma...I just like plasma.
Compared the new 70" Sharp Elite ($7000 IIRC) to the Panasonic VT series (forget which size they had).

Although impressive on its own, for an LCD, the VT lived up to its reputation as probably the best plasma, now that the Pioneer Elite Kuro is gone. It was significantly cheaper than the Sharp Elite and very good in 2D (not a 3D consumer).

I am not sure I would notice 65 vs 70 on the wall and Panasonic jumps up to 85 and then 100+ sizes.

I think the V series is a good choice for plasma.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

FWIW, Crutchfield has the VT30 for $2499, free shipping, no tax.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:34 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
FWIW, Crutchfield has the VT30 for $2499, free shipping, no tax.
Thanks, I appreciate the heads up. It doesn't look like they will release the VT50 for sale for another several months and it will be $3600 using 4 of the Elite Kuro processors instead of the 2 used in the VT30. Looks like price and timing will dictate what I buy.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:37 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I showed the VT30 and the VT50 to my bride.
She liked the new look of the 50, so that makes it simple for me.
Looks like the Pioneer 58" Elite RPTV is going to retire early.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:39 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cobalt
Thanks, I appreciate the heads up. It doesn't look like they will release the VT50 for sale for another several months and it will be $3600 using 4 of the Elite Kuro processors instead of the 2 used in the VT30. Looks like price and timing will dictate what I buy.
I am curious where the floor will be on the VT30 prices. Right now Crutchfield is lower than every reputable retailer that I searched...wonder if their price is an inventory reduction.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I showed the VT30 and the VT50 to my bride.
She liked the new look of the 50, so that makes it simple for me.
Looks like the Pioneer 58" Elite RPTV is going to retire early.
I feel the same way. I would be all over the VT50 if I knew it was only another month or two but apparently they have held up on any further release of the VT50 until all the VT30's are gone which could take too long. I guess I should be patient or find another distributor.

I am sure with the prices will come down if they ever plan on selling any VT50's apparently they have a lot in stock.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Looks like a 5/14/2012 release date for the 65VT50, based on consensus research, with a $3699 price.

I really have no interest in the new features like online content, etc.
If the VT30 is close to $2000 at that time, I might go with the VT30, skip the the VT50 and perhaps wait for the VT70.

Still deciding on which tilting flat mount to go with...followed by taking a saw to the wall and trying to route smurf tubing up over the fireplace and down to the floor.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Looks like a 5/14/2012 release date for the 65VT50, based on consensus research, with a $3699 price.

I really have no interest in the new features like online content, etc.
If the VT30 is close to $2000 at that time, I might go with the VT30, skip the the VT50 and perhaps wait for the VT70.

Still deciding on which tilting flat mount to go with...followed by taking a saw to the wall and trying to route smurf tubing up over the fireplace and down to the floor.
May is just about my limit on time. Although I had heard March then it was moved to April hopefully it won't change again.

Although the single glass slim design and touch pad remote along with the new panel should be worth the wait. I am not sure what is next I thought they went from 30 to 50 because of some superstition about the number 4 so why would the next model be a 70? I also think we are about at the limit on picture quality and any newer model will only be about features which I won't be using.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Just received a voice mail from my inside sales person at Crutchfield.
He stated that they won't be carrying the VT50 when released, so they are just selling off their VT30.

Regarding my VT70 comment, if I were to buy a 50, I would likely skip the 60 and buy the 70, assuming those are the numbers. I just don't seem to update TVs every series.

Besides, the next "big thing" is the new standard for 4x the number of lines currently supported. That would be more appealing than 3D, assuming content was available.

At this point, I am leaning towards buying the VT30 at what should be a good price.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:16 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Just received a voice mail from my inside sales person at Crutchfield.
He stated that they won't be carrying the VT50 when released, so they are just selling off their VT30.

Regarding my VT70 comment, if I were to buy a 50, I would likely skip the 60 and buy the 70, assuming those are the numbers. I just don't seem to update TVs every series.

Besides, the next "big thing" is the new standard for 4x the number of lines currently supported. That would be more appealing than 3D, assuming content was available.

At this point, I am leaning towards buying the VT30 at what should be a good price.
The crutchfield site says the VT30 is no longer for sale not sure why. Panasonic has it for sale directly from them for $3099.00 I am assuming this number should go down considerably over the next few weeks.

Flooring is going in Monday so were getting closer. I am going to try to hold out for the VT50 but it looks like the room will be done long before the TV is available. Speakers will be installed soon.
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2012, 03:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Beautiful room. Enjoy it in the best of health

I don't see any conduit/boxes. How did you plan on routing cables/power up to the TV?

I called Crutchfield. They no longer have stock on the VT30

Looks like the prices are coming down. I saw $1999 from a buy.com link, Abe's of Maine is at $2500 with a free flat panel mount.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:42 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Beautiful room. Enjoy it in the best of health

I don't see any conduit/boxes. How did you plan on routing cables/power up to the TV?

I called Crutchfield. They no longer have stock on the VT30

Looks like the prices are coming down. I saw $1999 from a buy.com link, Abe's of Maine is at $2500 with a free flat panel mount.
Thanks,

It is all there just hidden for the moment made it easier to sheet rock and tape. The City insists every wire be terminated no matter what it is for before they will issue a C of O Out of site for now so I can take my time to finish it exactly as I want after final inspection which should be in another 2 weeks.

There is a single dedicated 20 Amp circuit for the TV and surround so not to have any grounding issues. The speakers will be cut in and mounted and all the wires, HDMI Cat 5 etc will be pulled through the sheet rock when we do the final install, this way the wires will be exactly where they need to be, I have detailed drawings and photos where everything is for now. I also have additional wiring I need to pull through to power shades and accent lighting it will be months before i finalize all these details. I also ran extra Cat 5 wire so if I have to pull extra HDMI or other cables as technology changes they can be used to pull the wires through the conduit.

The room turned out better than I planed but what you don't see is the view of Manhattan. It can be a bit of a distraction when watching TV especially at night.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

That's an interesting idea, using a spare Cat 5 cable to pull future cables as necessary.
I always just installed a couple of extra nylon twines in the conduits for future use, but the Cat 5 seems a bit easier and practical.

On the TV front, I bought a VT30 last night. Sort of an impulse buy. Went furniture shopping with my bride and there was a Paul's TV (never heard of them). She left me for a while as I stared at the VT30 and GT30 side by side (and as a sign of fate, the demo loop ran the Monaco F1 race from a couple of years back).
When she came back, I finished up talking with the salesperson and later that night finished 'negotiating' on the price over the phone for the VT30 (they had 5 left in stock).
$2498, $1 less than Crutchfield. Paul's is also an authorized Panasonic dealer, which was a nice plus regarding warranty and exchange service.

Now my next question is the mount. I have a phone call into Sanus to verify requirements. At 123 lbs (much heavier than GT30 due to antireflective glass), they are recommending hitting 3 wall studs rather than 2. Also the VT30 seems to have a wider VESA mounting pattern.

My first choice for a tilting mount was the VMPL3 with the VXAM1 extender plate

http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/...ng-mount/VMPL3
http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/...-adapter/VMXA1

Others here for the VT30
http://www.sanus.com/us/en/search/re...od=mountfinder
Old 03-19-2012, 03:07 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
That's an interesting idea, using a spare Cat 5 cable to pull future cables as necessary.
I always just installed a couple of extra nylon twines in the conduits for future use, but the Cat 5 seems a bit easier and practical.

On the TV front, I bought a VT30 last night. Sort of an impulse buy. Went furniture shopping with my bride and there was a Paul's TV (never heard of them). She left me for a while as I stared at the VT30 and GT30 side by side (and as a sign of fate, the demo loop ran the Monaco F1 race from a couple of years back).
When she came back, I finished up talking with the salesperson and later that night finished 'negotiating' on the price over the phone for the VT30 (they had 5 left in stock).
$2498, $1 less than Crutchfield. Paul's is also an authorized Panasonic dealer, which was a nice plus regarding warranty and exchange service.

Now my next question is the mount. I have a phone call into Sanus to verify requirements. At 123 lbs (much heavier than GT30 due to antireflective glass), they are recommending hitting 3 wall studs rather than 2. Also the VT30 seems to have a wider VESA mounting pattern.

My first choice for a tilting mount was the VMPL3 with the VXAM1 extender plate

http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/...ng-mount/VMPL3
http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/...-adapter/VMXA1

Others here for the VT30
http://www.sanus.com/us/en/search/re...od=mountfinder
Congrats on the purchase. It is hard to argue with that price. I suppose you didn't have a chance to get it hooked up for the speed coverage of the Australian GP yesterday.

I am very interested in hearing your impressions of the set. I am not sure I want to wait until May and $1000 saved would help right now. I get 10% discount on all new equipment from my supplier.

I am using the Sanus VMPL3 for my Panasonic Pro 60" which weighs in at 108 pounds. That glass really adds a lot of weight. It is more than sturdy enough. I can hang myself on it and without going into details it can hold me so I am sure it will do. The pro is hanging off of two 1.5" dia black pipes hanging from the ceiling joists 3 wide. I did not want to drill into the brownstone wall so I installed the pipes so I could use them as conduit and hang my center channel and TV. I attached the TV bracket with 4 u clamps to the pipes. Everything totals close to 200 pounds and is only secured to two joists so I am not sure you will need the third stud but wouldn't hurt. It worked perfectly and it looks as though it is floating with no signs of the pipes from the front.

If you think that is crazy you should see what you have to go through to mount the 103" at nearly 450 pounds.

Happy viewing. I am sure your bride won't leave you alone when shopping much anymore. LOL

Quick Reply: Panasonic TX-P65VT30E or TX-65VT50E